Gelding a older stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have seen geldings cover a mare years after being gelded, but could never produce anything.

I agree, geld him and he will be much happier. I know several Mini owners here who have gelded horses in their late teens and had no problems. A couple of years ago a friend gelded one who was almost 8, and had WAY too much testosterone for his own good. He never was sore nor did he take it any harder than the weanlings and yearlings that were all gelded at the same time. It didnt set him back at all and he, and everyone around him
default_wacko.png
are much happier!!

Well I got my 12 year old guy gelded yesterday, and all seems to be aok! We put him up in his stall yesterday and last night, turned him out this morning and he has been running the fence as usual. Pulled him up tonight to check him over closely and not very much swelling at all. Ran a little cool water over him to rinse off what little leakage was there and he is acting like everything is normal. He has yet to realize his whole life has changed.
default_smile.png

Thanks for all the good advise ! As soon as I geld him I will let everyone know how it went ! He really is a very good stallion, not mean and very easy to handle. I am sure that gelding him will only make him that much better and get his mind off "spring time" !

Latest posts

Back