Gardeners, I have a question about cabbage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantminimore

Reaction score
I just made a ham and cabbage stew, I needed to use up some leftover ham and we have cabbage in the garden, this stew is awesome and it's a WW recipe.

My question is, what do you do with cabbage, does it freeze well? I have a recipe for freezer coleslaw but will it make the vegies soggy? Any ideas, we have 3 1/2 heads to use up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sauted cabbage.......MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm.................

Just slice it super thin, melt some butter in a pan, and toss the cabage until it is a beautiful bright green, and has softened. You can either eat it asd a side to a meal or put it opn a susage or hot dog in a bun, same as you would sourkraut.

If they are nice big heads, just freeze them whole, and when you thaw them, the leaves will be softer than fresh, and can be used to make cabbage rolls with, without having to be pre-boiled. MUCH easier on your fingers than making rolls with boiling hot leaves.

[[Just slice it super thin, melt some butter in a pan, and toss the cabage until it is a beautiful bright green, and has softened. You can either eat it asd a side to a meal or put it opn a susage or hot dog in a bun, same as you would sourkraut.]]

Yummy, makes my mouth water thinking about that! I like to add the wide noodles (already cooked) to the cabbage with butter..Yum!

I just made cabbage last night, sauteed in olive oil with onions, its my heart healthy receipe LOL. But it was great. Just cook until everything is just browning.

We did freezer coleslaw and it came out just fine. Ate it all year after thawing, of course.

My husband LOVES coleslaw but I rarely find the time to make it anymore. I'd love to know how to make 'freezer cole slaw' if any one wants to share.

I've never made the freezer slaw, I was going to use the recipe in the Ball Blue Book. If you don't have that book and want that recipe let me know.

I found ours using google.

wantminimore, I don't have the book, in fact haven't even seen it so I would love to seet he recipe when you have the time. Since its a bit of a pain to type out a recipe don't worry if you don't get to it. I can (and will for comparisons) do the google search as sfmini suggested. It sounds like something I should have learned about years ago lol, now that the kids are gone tho its nice to be able to prepare lots of something and either can or freeze it and it is like having convenience food from the store with out the excess salt and price.
default_smile.png

Freezer Slaw

2 lbs. cabbage 2 c. sugar

1 large gr. pepper 1 tsp. dry mustard

3 large carrots 1 tsp. celery seed

3/4 c. chopped onion 1 c. vinegar

1 tsp. salt 1/2 c. water

Shred cabbage, gr. pepper and carrots. Add onion. Sprinkle with salt; let stand 1 hr. Drain. Combine remaining ing. in a sauce pot. Bring to a boil; boil 3 min. Cool. Laddle liquid over cabbage mixture; let stand 5 min. Stir well. Pack slaw into plastic freezer jars or plastic freezer containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal, label and freeze.

I'm going to give it a try this week. Seems like all the vegies are ready to harvest at once plus trying to fit in picking crabmeat, oh well
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back