Gaited horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everybody for your input. Looks like lots of gaited experience here. I'm leaning toward the Paso breed partly because of the size. I've had taller horses, but right now a 14 Hh one would be perfect for me. I'm a lightweight and only 5'4'' tall, so am pretty unlimited on size. The taller ones are just too hard to get on anymore. I really would like one that very well broke and will stand still to be mounted. Nothing I hate more than to be hopping around, one foot in the stirrup while my horse is walking off! I just hate that!.

I wish you the best on finding that perfect horse for yourself. I had a blue papered Fox Trotter/ Tn Walker (Casey), and she was soooo smooth! I loved her pacing motion, it felt like I was rocking in a rocking chair! I haven't been on the backs of many gaited horses, but I will say, a friend of mine had a Saddlebred that could out gait any horse I ever knew, including my longer legged Casey. He let me ride her a time or two, and I almost felt like I was riding on air. I agree with others, test ride before you buy. No horse rides the same, even of the same breed, but you are on the right track with looking into the gaited breeds.

~Karen

Icelandic would be my first choice... but then - there are two of them out there in the pasture. :bgrin

Here is a good example of a tolt - that moves up into a very fast tolt... smooooooooth!

Nice to meet another Icelandic horse person. There is a longer video on that mare..you can see it here.

I also have a couple of video shorts of me and Dyfra doing a slow tolt....but my son was taking the video and it bounces around enoughI do not know if you would be able to see how smooth she is?

She also isn't one fo the fancy Icelandic's,,they are breeding for now,,her neck set is lower,,and I think more smooth than the fancy steeping ones.

Also have that fancy mare,,,like in the videos,,the one I came off of because of the elastic girth.

Quite honest,,while the more saddle bredones look nice,, I prefer what I concider what an Icelandic to be.

Never did follow fashion. :bgrin

Here is that other link.

http://www.hestakaup.com/

If you want easy to get on.. can't bet an Icelandic!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ridden: Peruvian Paso, Icelandic, and owned and ridden: Foxtrotter and Paso Fino. In my opinion--Peruvian Paso was the smoothest, but Shari is so right--lots of suspensory problems, risky to try to find one that will stay sound. A gal from Germany--big dressage expert-lives just down the road, also has Icelandics--I tried them, just didn't do anything for me-I have too much background w/ stock horses(and I DON'T mean 'peanut rollers'!) to like a horse that goes with its neck high and nose out--I KNOW that's how Icelandics go--it's just that it doesn't appeal to me personally....)Went to Missouri to 'shop' for Foxtrotters(with two friends, one of whom had had them for awhile). Two of us bought, went back to get them. My friend's horse was smooth-riding, but he was doing a stepping pace, not a true foxtrot. My first horse turned out to be the most dangerous horse I'd ever encountered-would just be going along, then TOTALLY blow up, w/o warning(and believe me, everything fit him fine.)I believe he was drugged when I tried him out; in fact, I think a LOT of that kind of stuff goes on, when someone who isn't familiar w/ a breed shows up...JMO. I sold him to the local dealer in a hurry, before he could kill me. I later bought a nice young gelding from the same guy my friend got hers from; he was a nice horse, but not all that smooth to ride...lots of movement in the small of my back, AND, because of the strong 'stepping up under himself' with the hind end, he would often 'slip' behind, if riding down a fairly hard-surfaced road(not asphalt, just the typical road around here). The Paso Fino was pretty smooth to ride, but absolutely WOULDN'T hold a lope--he was smooth as silk at the lope, but couldn't seen to stay in it, and/or would disunite or completely 'fall out' of the correct lead...and he has a couple of really BAD, and dangerous, habits that I couldn't break without risking injury to him(he would jerk loose just as you took off his halter, AND he would 'shy', then turn and bolt)--so I sold him(with full disclosure) to someone who just wanted to gait down the ditchbank, and never lope! I did wish I'd had him from the start; I believe that it was a lack of proper training/discipline that led to his problems, but I didn't want either him OR me to get hurt trying to 'fix' them.

What I have come to believe is that MANY gaited horses don't gait as they are reputed to....and if they aren't true-gaited, they may not be nearly as smooth-riding as portrayed--even if you know all of the 'tricks' to get them to go properly(which can be quite a chore, in practice.) I has assumed that the smooth gaits were natural--after all, they are bred to do them--but in my experience, that is often NOT the case. I just went 'back to my roots', got a Paint (APHA) mare of solid foundation QH/Paint breeding--she does NOT have a ground-covering walk, but does have a SWEET smooth jog trot, and is an extraordinarily good trail horse--gentle, easy to catch anywhere, hauls, ties(overnight to the trailer, for instance)like a dream, excellent for farrier and vetting, good-disposition in a group...so she's a keeper. I do wish she had a better walk, but her trot is SOOOO smooth, it makes up for it!

IMO--gaited 'can be' very nice, but may equally as likely, be problematic. I would rather have all I have w/ Jordan(my Paint mare).

Margo

Latest posts

Back