FYI: Mill closure/feed problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClickMini

Reaction score
She told me that this is NOT NECESSARILY confined to a local area. If you feed any of the feeds listed, you should contact your local feed store. And that at times some parts of feed are milled in one area before shipping to another for final combination and packaging. So I asked her if it was probably best to be safe than sorry and not feed what I have, and she told me yes, probably so.

Well I would call before jumping to conclusions. In one respect she is right, in another she may be wrong. If you are worried call your feed distributor, or better yet your horse food parent company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Amy for posting that update. Is always better to be safe, than sorry.

Well I would call before jumping to conclusions. In one respect she is right, in another she may be wrong. If you are worried call your feed distributor, or better yet your horse food parent company.
I don't see people "jumping to conclusions".

Amy was kind enough to talk to the FDA itself to confirm the FDA site.

All I did is post a link and it is for each person to read or not, find out if their fed is on the list or Not and to use the info as they see fit.

Not make this into something it wasn't or get combative because you don't believe the FDA. This is why I rarely post on this forum any more, is because of the number of combative people that have nothing better to do than make people feel bad.

default_no.gif

I am in Southern Indiana, not too far from the mill. My horse feed is separate, not on the list and then is mixed with local oats I get from the Amish.

However, I feed my rabbits Manna Pro and over the past few weeks have lost several young babies to what I could only come to reason as being bad feed. The adults only got runny stools and no babies in nestboxes died, just young bunnies who were newly eating pellets.

After lots of medicating, deworming etc. I came to realize that it probably was a food issue. This was before I saw this post. My Manna Pro in this batch was bought at Orshelins, I normally get it at Tractor Supply. I don't trust that anymore either and will be starting to run up to Northern Indiana and buy Heinhold feed from that mill directly. It sounds like the Orshelins food is likely to have gone through there. From what TS said, they use their own distributing so it is unlikely. Not taking anymore chances, I pay $15 a bag for it to make sure my animals are safe. If I buy more at a time and just drive three hours North, I can get the Heinold directly at the mill for less than $8 a bag. So, I guess that is what we will do from now on.

I appreciate someone finding and posting this information. At least I feel a little less like I am going crazy, as I already had come to a conclusion that I must have gotten a bad batch of food.
default_sad.png

I am VERY glad this topic go posted.

I'm not feeding any of what was on the list and if I were, I'd be worried (but then I am not one to miss a chance to worry). To save my worries, I think I'd get rid of that feed and use something else for the immediate future.

Regarding the FDA employee's advice (better safe than sorry / get rid of it), that's kind of a no brainer response from her. If you throw it away, all that you could be out is the cost of feed. If you don't, even if there's only a minuscule chance of it being contaminated, obviously the potential loss is much greater.

She doesn't want even a 1 in a 1,000 chance of you calling her back to report a sick or dead horse who was fed that line of feed... Much better to advise to pitch the feed and save the chance of a sick horse and also the owner's worries.

I had several horses colic and one die feed similar feeds to the ones on the list (they list omelene 100, we fed the 200 and 400) I also feed my gelding the calf manna, so I may go ahead and pull him off of it. Like others said, I would much rather lose the couple bucks in feed over the many vet bills and loss of animals like I have experienced.

I don't see people "jumping to conclusions".

Amy was kind enough to talk to the FDA itself to confirm the FDA site.

All I did is post a link and it is for each person to read or not, find out if their fed is on the list or Not and to use the info as they see fit.

Not make this into something it wasn't or get combative because you don't believe the FDA. This is why I rarely post on this forum any more, is because of the number of combative people that have nothing better to do than make people feel bad.

default_no.gif
Hi was not trying to be combative, just practical. If your feed was listed and you think you might have this mill as a distributor, or are not sure where you feed starts, is put together or is bagged, then I merely suggested you call.

I know my feed is made right here in MN at Glencoe. But the Purina brands are not. It was purely a suggestion to put peoples minds at ease.

And this had nothing to do with Amy posting, it was very kind of her to post the alert.

So everyone have a nice evening, and hopefully we will ease up on each other's comments some.

Latest posts

Back