Fussy with his head

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Reaction score
I am hoping some of the more experienced drivers might be able to help me. Bear with me but I am going to give a little background info. My boy is turning 4 tomorrow and has been driving less than a year. Had a handful of hitches last May but didn't really start driving him until June. He did well for the most part at the few shows I drove him in last summer and fall. I let him have a couple months off to recoup from the show season and relax and be a horse. Beggining of December I started lightly playing with him again. Took him to his first parades and started working with him on driving obstacle as it is my goal to show him in that this year. Well I was so busy focusing on teaching him and myself how to do the obstacles that I let his collection and headset slide. It was pointed out to me recently and so I have been working on that. He can be stubborn so it has taken awhile but we are finally close to where I would like him. Problem is he has started fussing with his head. It is an up and down motion. He gives quick jerks of his head sometimes small and sometimes large. He does this frequently the whole time I am driving him and only slows down somewhat but doesn't quit by the end. He was not doing this prior to my reteaching him collection and headset. He never did this when he was taught the first time around. I have ruled out his teeth as the vet was out 3 weeks ago to give him shots and I had him check. They were fine. He is driven in a simple snaffle and he never seemed to have a problem before with this bit, always went well in it. I don't usually use a martingale on him and since he is a WCP horse is driven with a loose sidecheck so he has to pretty much carry himself. I have paid extra close attention lately to make sure to keep steady hands. I am not sure why he is doing this or how to fix it. Please help!!!

First thing I wondered was does he do this when he is carrying the bit before hitching? It is clear he is trying to tell you something and it seems obvious it has to do with your ' reteaching him collection and headset ' Without watching you work him it is very hard to say exactly what you might be doing that created this reaction but I'm guessing you have physically corrected his headset (?) My inclination is to never try to tell my horses where to put their head. Rather I work towards having them seeking contact on the bit and then drive them forward to get them to collect naturally. Green horses (and most experienced horses too) will fall apart if the supporting hand isn't there and that is probably what you have seen in your guy. If it were me I would go back to driving with out any check or martingale, get that contact on the bit and work to have him step under himself and with practice and fitness his collection/headset should fall into place on its own.

Hi Dreamer, if you look at the thread "another bit observation" there is some good discussion on contact. "Littlegoesalongway" has a fabulous post! And Reignmaker makes some really good suggestions above too!

Cajonat thanks for metioning that thread. You're right thats a great post. I rode dressage for several years before I quit about 2 years ago because we had to let our big horses go. We were able to keep the minis and that is when I decided to try driving with them. Lot more simialarities than I would have thought. Took me a long time to get the correct idea of contact when I was riding and even so I don't know that I have ever had it explained that well before.

Reignmaker I mentioned that I don't usually have a martingale on him. Actually the only times I used one on him was when I took him to parades(3 total). His reaction when he gets very upset or stressed is to rear(In and out of harness although I've worked with him alot since I bought him a little over a year ago and he rarely does it anymore). My overactive imagination could just see him possibly getting upset and rearing and maybe flipping on the asphalt and getting hurt so it was more about peace of mind for me. I don't really like using artificial means to get what should be achieved naturally. I would love to not have to use a check on him but he is habitual grass snatcher otherwise. I couldn't break him of the habit so put a loose sidecheck on. It is loose and he can and does when he is walked down at the end put his head down to or slightly past him knees when he is stretching. I agree he is unhappy about something. As I read your response and the other thread I realized I have been getting impatient and trying to push/force him a bit. I will slow down and try to have more patience so thanks for the reminder.
default_thumbup.gif

I did an experiment when I drove him today. He was collecting but didn't really have a great headset but that will come with time. I tried letting him go with no contact which he really didn't like, a light, medium , and harder contact. I had been driving him with a light contact as he is very sensitive to cues. Turns out he prefers a medium contact the best so I will have to try and retrain myself to remember that. He was quite a bit less fussy and seemed less agitated with it but he was still upset about something. Do you think he might prefer a different bit? As I said he seemed to be going ok in a snaffle before but maybe a different bit might help? The only other bit we have is a french link, however it is a 3 1/2 inch bit for our A horse. He is a B and his is a 3 3/4 inch bit. do you think it might be ok to try the bit a few times even though it would be a bit small just to see if he likes it? If he did I could order one for him in his size.

I think you have a pretty sound idea of what a horse needs to be happy in their work. Testing different things is one of the best ways to find what works best with that particular horse for sure. As far as trying the smaller bit ; I would not, if he requires a 3 3/4 bit then 1/2 inch difference will be less than comfortable and you don't want to create yet another problem. My favourite bit (and that of most of my horses - which is why its my fav ;) ) is a mullen mouth. The slight curve gives them plenty of tongue room and they just seem very relaxed and comfortable in this bit. Of course that is just my preference and I know many people like the french link bit. If you are going to try a different bit tho, I'd go with one his size even tho there is a chance it will not solve the problem and you will have spent the money for no benefit . Speaking of bits, if he has gone well in his snaffle in the past, and you think it could be the bit, go over the bit to see if it has developed any sharp spots, cracks or if it is catching his lips (or pulling hair since they have longer hair at this time of year) or any other thing about that specific bit that might be causing his troubles. There is a chance that when you take up 'medium' contact it holds the bit in such a way as to minimize the discomfort being caused by some small thing that you haven't yet noticed.

Instead of (mis)using the check rein- which will be jabbing him in the mouth used this way, and if you really cannot stop him by driving him forward onto the bit, why not try a muzzle? You can sit back and laugh as he tries to eat!! (and rest assured he will not hurt himself...)

Sorry, also meant to address the basic problem- I would remove the check and see what the reaction is- and I would wrap the bit- you can get tape for this specifically or you can use soft leather or suede sewn over the bit. The martingale will not stop him rearing, of course, not even if it is too tight- nothing will, if he rears, he rears and keeping him moving forward is the best way to deal with this problem. It sounds to me as if he may well be "running behind the bit" and this will account for his rearing to some extent (although not all by any means) it also sounds to me as if he might be hollowing his back, and the check is not going to help this...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back