Fussy bridler?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Field-of-Dreams

Reaction score
My Sunny (in my avatar) doesn't take his bit very well. I try to be gentle, and I try really hard not to clank his teeth, especially when taking his bridle OFF, but he just fusses so much it's hard! And he really fights sometimes when I bridle him. I even put honey on his bit to make it more tasty. I looked in his mouth and ran my fingers over his bars to make sure he isn't sore, too. Once he's bridled he's no trouble, doesn't fuss or fling his head. I even told him if he just opens his mouth it won't hurt!

Any ideas? Or is he just being an egghead? I guess I'm too used to my old Arab- he'd open his mouth right up and take the bit from me!

Lucy

The only thing that comes to mind, and you've probably checked, is the bit pinching him (little too narrow) or could he be out of condition and driving is bugging him?

I've got an old guy that just takes turns being sweet about everything. Then if I've used him several days in a row like at a show he'll throw a tantrum about taking the bit. I haven't figured out his problem either unless he just gets sore after performing several days in a row.

Put some molasses on it first. They grab for the bit after you do this a couple of time.

Have you had his teeth checked out? Many times when you take the bit out of their mouth the bit will hit the bridle teeth and if he's sensitive that can make them really bad. Also if you put your fingers into his mouth and feel the very first teeth, not the front teeth, but the front teeth of the back teeth if that makes sense
default_wacko.png
: Any way if you are using a bit on a horse he should have a "bit seat" there. Which means most horses when you feel those teeth they are tall and square, so when you pull up on the bit it hits these teeth. A bit seat is when you have a dentist file those front teeth down until they are nice and rounded off so when you pull up on the bit it slides easily over those teeth rather than banging into them. Also have them cut the bridle teeth down a little and over time as he sees it doesn't hurt him it should get better. I could write you a whole article on teeth, but those are the two biggest problems you could have causing his behavior.

I'd probably be bridling this guy over the halter for quite a while until you can figure out the problem.

You are opening up his mouth for him with your fingers, right? Try putting a little something on your figures instead of on the bit.

Ok, check the bit itself to be sure there's no sharp places on it. Then, hold it in your shirt or sweater for just a few seconds so that it's not really cold. Then breathe your hot breath on it too. That might help. Then also, he just may be one of those metal sensitive guys and you may have to go to another type of bit like copper or sweetwater etc.

You know, minis seem to be really bad about this in general. I saw this at mini shows and I swore up and down that when I got a mini
default_rolleyes.gif
: I wasn't going to rudely shove his head into a bridle despite objections and that my horse was going to be a model citizen about taking his bit.

Then I got Kody. Ha!

Like you, my Arabs drop their heads and open their mouths waiting for the bit and no, they didn't do that when I got them. But Kody is a law unto himself and does his best to dodge the bridle any way he can even after almost two years. Okay, I found out that his first bit pinched him. But I fixed that and he relearns everything else in a heartbeat so you'd think he'd catch that it doesn't hurt anymore. He certainly stopped over-reacting when I'm driving him. I tried focusing on keeping the blinders from scraping his eyes and then on keeping his ears straight and un-squished and nothing helped. I had always thought it was caused by mini people not using the curtesy you would employ with a big horse who can raise their heads out of reach, but obviously sometimes it's the horse. Maybe it's the "coming in from above them" thing?

When I started taking formal dressage driving lessons a few weeks ago the instructor made me tighten up the cavesson a lot which meant I had to undo it to put the bridle on and I did notice a major improvement after that. And he's fine with the open bridle I bought him for siderein work. Who knows?
default_wacko.png
:

I agree with checking your guy's teeth thoroughly before you do anything else. Once discomfort is eliminated try some desensitization training. Ask him to open his mouth and then don't do anything. Do it without a bridle, then eventually pull a halter on after he opens and a few sessions later hold up the bridle and ask but don't put the bit in. Just get him to open and close and reward him for being calm even with the bridle hanging there in front of his face. Make sure you end the session here, don't try and force the issue. Do this when you are not planning on driving! LOL. You might want to try slipping some bailing twine into his mouth as a fake bit without a bridle at this point. Reward, reward, reward. Slip tasty things like molasses onto the bit the first time you try actually getting it in his mouth again. I think separating the bit and the bridle will help you determine just what his issue is. Kody doesn't like the umpire-mask-like driving bridle closing in on him but he doesn't really mind the bit. It took me ages to figure that out.

Your guy probably just has a complex by now and it will take slow and patient work to convince him he's over-reacting.

Leia

No matter what horse or pony I am bridling, it is second nature to slip my left thumb into the space where the bit goes...as I bring the bit to the mouth. They all just pop their mouths open...no hastle. Give that a try a few times, and see if it helps. As for taking it out...do the same thing when dropping the bit as well...can't hurt to try.

I'd probably be bridling this guy over the halter for quite a while until you can figure out the problem.

You are opening up his mouth for him with your fingers, right? Try putting a little something on your figures instead of on the bit.

Ok, check the bit itself to be sure there's no sharp places on it. Then, hold it in your shirt or sweater for just a few seconds so that it's not really cold. Then breathe your hot breath on it too. That might help. Then also, he just may be one of those metal sensitive guys and you may have to go to another type of bit like copper or sweetwater etc.
Did that.... didn't help.

Yup, use my fingers to get him to open his mouth. HAVE to or we'd stand there forever! :lol:

Trust me, the bit isn't cold down here! I have to make sure it isn't HOT! I use a sweetiron, he seems to like it. I think he's just being a booger.

I'll keep practicing.

I cant remember were i saw them, but i saw they make those flavor bit wraps? they are a great traing aid to help get the horse to take the bit. I havent used them myself, but have heard great things about them.. just a thought if you have checked the teeth, and size of the bit.

Tried Tested and Works.

Get a jar of Vaseline and a plastic container of sugar.

Remove bit from bridle or if you have a spare one that will do too.

Smear a big glob of vaseline all over the bit and liberally sprinkle sugar on it. Place the loose bit on your palm and let him lick and gum and whatever with it. Do this a couple times (sometimes they hear the metal clank and know what's coming so if they lick and hear it and it tastes good...)

When you go to bridle him, do the same thing to the bit..hold it close to his lips and let him start to open his mouth to lick it.

Also, I keep a bottle of glycerine in the barn with a syringe. EVERY, and I mean EVERY horse that wears a bit gets the vaseline treatment (after a while they don't need sugar) and about 2-3cc's of glycerine shot onto their tongue. Keeps them wet, loose, happy and working that bit.

Good Luck

Kim

Hi Lucy,

In addition to some very good options to consider that are already posted here, with regard to "mouth" complications, that could be reason for not wanting to take/drop the bit willingly...you might also consider looking at and checking his ears.

Sometimes bit refusal has nothing to do with the mouth, but is actually because of sore ears. Check for mites, ticks, etc. Even soap or water left in ears from baths can cause buildup and begin to hurt without visual evidence. Check down deep, as sometimes even little critters like chiggers can cause ear pain.

Making them want nothing to do with taking the bit, nor releasing once it is on, as when the headstall is passed over the ears, it causes great pain for them.

If all your checks for the mouth turned out "ok', it might not be his mouth, but might actually be something with his ears for not wanting the bridle overall.

Hope this helps.
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back