Fun times shopping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watcheye

Reaction score
I live in a tourist town. We have a very big side walk sale at the end of the summer. It shuts the whole main road down town...down.
default_rolleyes.gif
Oh how cheap some people can be... I know its funny but I find it down right obnoxious. Here are a few stories from my day:

Lady comes to register with a plaque she got outside. My co worker rings it up to $2 plus tax. Lady exclaims, "$2?? I thought it was half of that! Well I dont know if I want to spend $2. Its for my soon to be ex husband."
default_whistling.gif
(it said "I wish I was half as good as my dog thinks I am...)

Another lady comes up to me with a box with 4 leaf candles in it. "Seeing that this box is in bad shape will you mark the price down?"

Me:"well my boss was already out there marking prices down. See its been brought down from $6 to $2. I think she already took the broken box into account"

Her:"well can you ask her?"
default_wacko.png

This was a $2 box of 4 candles.
default_rolleyes.gif

Later that day I was outside where one of our brass topped tables had been dragged out to display items. Its a neat looking 2 piece eastern table with a lot of intricate etching on the top. A lady was looking at it.

Lady:"is this $35?"

Me: "I cant see the tag but it should be marked." (I was in the middle of a bunch of tables and was about to go over to the other side when she started trying to haggle."

Lady: "well do you have wiggle room on it?"

I told her I was not authorized to bring down the price. I was already feeling badly that the table was so low. Its a nice table and that was a very low number for that table.

A pause.... Then she started to inspect it and look for flaws. I know this because she started talking about how the seems could be bad or some such nonsense.

She said she was going to have to think about this one and talk to her husband.

My boss came out and I complained about the situation. Her eyes got pretty wide when she heard how much the lady thought it was. I guess she had paid over $150 for it. The tag said $75 not $35. My boss and her daughter decided that they would not be selling it. Instead they wanted to use it for a tea display in the store. Good move.

Customers sure can run the gambit.
default_doh.gif

That was a good move by your boss to keep that table, it sounds very nice.

I've only really had one customer hagle with that was way out of line. We had a special for a studio sitting, 1-8x10 photo with frame and 2 5x7 photos with frames for $60. Now the frames where about mid price range and farily nice (I have a few in my house and have given them as gifts). One lady came in and said "oh no no no no no. you give me one big picture and that frame for that price!". She was pointing at a very high price point frame. I told her the offer is what it is and I can not change it. "Well get your boss then!". okay I get my boss, boss says no go offer is what it is, and then she goes back down stairs. And the lady still trys to hagle with me. It got to the point where i told her you want it or you dont I have work to do. She ending up taking the offer and is a regular customer now.

Have you ever had someone look at a $5.00 priced item and say "Will you take a quarter"!!! " Why yes thats why we have it marked $5.00!!

I am amazed at what people will ask for!!

Just out of curiosity

Why do Dollar Stores need a cash register to add up sales...wouldnt you think the clerk could possibly count?

Just wondering??

Just out of curiosityWhy do Dollar Stores need a cash register to add up sales...wouldnt you think the clerk could possibly count?

Just wondering??
Unfortunately, these days Dollar stores charge more than a dollar for many items; and, don't forget sales tax.

Latest posts

Back