Frost Free Water Pump froze

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverRidgeMinis

Reaction score
Well, we are having record low temps this year and my frost free water pump has frozen up.

Any ideas how to get it unfroze and how to keep it unfroze? The handle is stuck half way up so

I am worried that was it thaws out I am going to have a bunch of water going everywhere.

We had a snow storm last week and an ice storm this week. I am ready for some warmer weather and it

suppose to get back into the 40s next week. Boy, will I be glad to see 40's again!

Freida

Silver Ridge Minis

Depending on how bad it is frozen now you might get it thawed by slowly pouring hot water on the toop and let it run down the pipe to the ground. It should thaw the pipe and the groung right at the base. A Hair dryer on high heat might work also but it could take a while.

Mark

This worked for me.......heat tape (it unthawed frozen pipe) and now I keep the tape on it all winter AND wrap the pip in yellow insulation wraped in duct tape. Not pretty, but I think it's th 3rd winter it hasnt froze..... good luck!

Alicia

It froze because you didn't install it below the freeze line for your area

Use a blow torch.........that works for me!

The handle is stuck half way up soFreida Silver Ridge Minis
And sorry to say that is Why it froze! Handle must be All the way down to Open the Valve, so that the Water can drain back down below the frost line. This is why it froze, not that it is not below the frost line.

Heat tape around the pipe may get open,and hope the temps warms up enough to also help

And Yes Do Not Force Handle down now.~! Get it thawed out first. Good Luck.

Some people also make a mistake and leave a Hose attached to the faucet, That is also a very Bad Idea~! As them the water can't drain back down and will freeze up~!

Last edited by a moderator:
Be really careful if you use a blowtorch if it is in your barn the reason it froze has already been stated the handle has to be all the way back down to allow the water to drain back. A hair dryer will work but will take a long time as when this happens the water in the whole pipe is frozen. I would recommend a heat gun but again be very careful as it gets HOT. There is no flame with a heat gun so it is a bit safer than a torch and it gives off more heat than the hair dryer.

Thanks for the advice. Don't worry I don't have a blow touch and would be afraid to use it if I did. I am not brave or have any experience with blow torches like Marty does.

The handle is half way up because I pulled up to get water and when no water came out I could not get it to

go back down. I think part of the reason it froze is the water coming down on the ground caused a lot of the dirt to wash away and we didn't put enough back at the base of the pump. Plus we have had two weeks of record cold temps. The two nights before the pump froze were record lows for us.

I am going to get the heat tape and try that once it thaws back up and I can get out of my driveway. Temps are suppose to be in 40's and 50's by end of the week so things should get back to normal.

I have another question. When you have to carry water from the house, what kind of containers can you buy that has a lid on it so you don't splash water all over you? I am just using buckets now but I am thinking about buying some containers to use for emergencies and even taking water to horse shows.

Thanks,

Freida

Thats an easy one we buy horse cookies in 5 gallon tubs if you can believe it and they have lids so we have all sorts of buckets with lids but believe me at the cost of the cookies they are far from free. I have also used plastic totes and filled them with buckets and then scooped the water out once I got them where they were going on a boat sled.

Latest posts

Back