From Jolly Ole England!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENWOODMINIS

Reaction score
Ok, Ok...I know I am a picture Junky HA...but, thought you would enjoy these. Remember I am the good thoughts Fairy he-he!!
biggrin.gif
As, I cannot bare anymore bad news here
no.gif

These were taken when we took a trip to England this summer. These too fine Lassies are Windsor Greys that live in the Queens Royal Muse. WOW...what a life
ohmy.gif

The one on the lefts name is Pandora and the night before she got out and had a run about in the court yard area...Naughty Pandora
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
DSC00725.jpg
[/img]

I have a few more I'll post in a second.

thanks,

lis

Here is where they are stalled...it is so beautiful. We visited in summer during the break they give to most of the horses...so, they were on vacation like us
laugh.gif
Its wonderful they get a break to be just horses for even just a little while. Perhaps that explains why Pandora and her sidekick are not on vacation...poor Naughty Pandora
ohmy.gif
no vacation????

DSC00734.jpg
[/img]

he-he I know what you mean Shari...I felt like asking them if I could get my suitcases and stay the night
biggrin.gif

Mews, the word is "Mews"
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

It's where the falcons were kept originally then became the word fro the Royal Stables (Is only applied to the Royal Family)

The horses do rotate a lot more than just once a year.

The Queen set the whole place by the ears a few years back by bringing up a young Cleveland Bay stallion to be used in the coaches "He could do with his mind maturing" she said.

First time a stallion had ever been in the Mews but it was the making of him!!

Poor Master of the Horse- what it is to have a real Horsewoman as Monarch!!!

From her roman knose she's definately a warm blood - our Pandora (Dorrie) is our Clyde who just went to a Clyde breeder to live. She was an escape artist - the soft big lips on draft horses and warm bloods are too good for manipulating latches - The only thing Dorrie could not get through was a small thumb clip if it was on the outside of the enclosure. If it was on the inside she'd get it unclipped. She boarded at the vet's this summer and they swore they had escape proof stalls - the hang latch was a full 6 inches beyond the stall opening and stall door bars were to the top. They came out several mornings to find Dorrie had let herself out and then let a few of her buddies out - fortunately she was not in season so the stallions were still in their stalls. They figured out that she learned to push out on the stall door and the latch would clank - when she rocked it enough it sounded like more of a thud than a clank and she'd pull sideways on the door and the latch would miss it's slot and the door would open. Too smart!

HA...well, thank ya there Fizzy on the correction. I am giggling because we have a thing here in our area called the muse machine...a group that travels to all the schools. Okie dokie I got it...mews...not muse...mews...not muse...mews...not muse!!

It was our third trip there...awesome place and, the carriages are amazing. I have pics of those too
biggrin.gif
maybe I should send them to you first for a good proof reading
biggrin.gif
I am scared now
unsure.gif

Lis a.k.a confused & mused

Poor, poor Pandora. With a mug as . . . plain as hers, I'm sure she needs some excitement.

I was there in March of 1989 with my mother, on an absolute whirlwind tour of London before embarking on a coach tour of England and Scotland for a week. The Royal Mews and the horses and all the royal carriages were just the most beautiful things I'd ever seen! If I remember correctly, there was a wonderful museum there, too, and the one thing that stands out in my memory is a set of harness that was stitched with goose quills! It was amazing! Jane, do you know about that and, if so, could you tell us all about it, please?

No, I don't but I'll try and find out. Wow, how did they get the Geese to stand still???

Does it fly south for the Winter??

Awarding myself a slap for being facetious now.
rolleyes.gif

OHH- the place is beautiful! My horses would think they died and went to heaven living in there. ...and to think no cobwebs
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
of well, guess my horses will just have to live lilke horses, and besides the cobwebs are a natural decoration in the barns
wub.gif
Jane, I would LOVE to hear the story too, about the harness with the goose quills
yes.gif
Corinne

I love the Victorian style of it.
yes.gif

A kitten asked for directions to the Queen's stable by saying MEWS.

I'm Amewsed today!
laugh.gif

Thank you for showing the photos!

Ok, Fizzy Girl...each time we have been there we would visit the room with all the harness stuff in it...It truly was awesome...especially for someone that loves to drive...it was like a little slice of heaven. Does, all that have a special name???
biggrin.gif

Sunny,

The museum was still there...but, it seems they moved it to another location within the mews?? didn't seem in the same place...but, still there.

When we were there the first time they had buckets of the old shoes at the shop that the queens horses wore...and, of course I bought one or two...ok three...well four HA! Shameful I know...but, I needed a full set HA!!! Not sure these days I could get them through the airport security.
ohmy.gif

Fizzy...if I post the picuture of the special carriage...can you tell everyone about...its the one that is all gold leafed. I just stood there with my mouth open...really cool.

I,m Planning a trip to england and scotland in 2007. Jane can you recommend some great places to visit would it be possible to find out the traveling agency that booked the coach tours sunny spoke of, that would be wonderful. i cant wait to visit winsor castle, I LLOOVVEE castles. I'm really meant to be a QUEEN.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You might call it the Mewseum
yes.gif

It's the Gold State Coach , otherwise known as the Coronation Coach- I'm sorry I think it's the biggest pile of kitch I have ever seen, and the Queen says it makes her seasick!!!

Talk about over the top.

It was built for George III in 1762 and cost £7,562. 4s 3d at a time when people were starving to death on the streets of London, the average wage for a maid was ten shillings a year and the King had to borrow money to build the thing. Talk about over stated status symbol!!

It has been used for all recent Coronations but was actually built for the state opening of Parliament- hence it's name, "The Gold State Coach"

They had to invent a completely new system of springing for it otherwise it would shake itself to bits every time it was used. We had it at the "All the Queens Horses" pageant we did at Windsor- it was on rail tracks and the horses would pull it out into the centre of the arena every night at the end of the show. Then they would unhitch the horses after the lights went down and push it back into place as it is IMPOSSIBLE to manoeuvre, turn, back, It has NO brakes!!!! It is made of carved wood and plaster, gilded, and , quite frankly, I think it looks it, too!! Sorry
smile.gif

wishful...we took a trip to scotland and Ireland as well..and, stayed amazing places...I could highly recommend them! I can pm you if you want...they were really neat. in Ireland we rode Irish Draft horses...it was cool.

The place we stayed in Scotland...it was haunted....scary!! Yup, one was a castle...really neat. It was a second time in Ireland so, we have a big list of great places and first in Scotland.

lis

Latest posts

Back