From Big Horses to Mini Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini~Lover

Reaction score
Hi everyone, ive finally decided to join the forum!

I currently have one full size mare and one miniature filly. i am trying to decide wether to go into all minis and get some show horses, and sell my full size horse. my full size has been my life for about 2 years now and is getting increasingly higher maintence and is difficult to ride(almost to the point i dont enjoy it) :no: but im wondering if any of you guys that have owned big horses for a long time miss riding much? or just being around such BIG powerful animals. it always amazes me with there stregnth and power, but you dont really get that feel with the minis, hehe, but i love the to death, dont get me wrong. you know? has anyone gone through this before? any advice would be greatly appraciated right now, as im going through kind of a hard time with this decision. thanks everyone, i hope to get to know you all better now that i have finally joined!!
default_wink.png
:

Shayna

ps- i guess i forgot to mention, im Mini~Lover's sister...im going to be using her account now. she has gotten me into miniatures
default_wub.png
: !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The decision you are attempting to make is one I wouldn't be able to. I just love my big horses way too much even though my minis hold the dearest part of my heart....ssshhhh, don't let the biggies hear me!
default_rolleyes.gif
: You asked about missing the big ones, and yes, that is something I know would happen with me. Even though we have not ridden in two years (had a car accident and long recovery time) I am just as happy seeing big horses in the field and running and playing. There is something special there I guess, that simply cannot be replaced. However, this is a very personal decision which only you can make. You have lots of pros and cons, time, what's important to you, what is realistic for you to do, etc, to hash over, so I say look at it from all sides and then go with your gut feelings as that's probably what will be right for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone had told me 6 years ago that I'd be getting out of Morgans and into Minis, I'd have said they were nuts. However, the longer I have the Minis, the less I care if I have the big horses any more. I didn't ride at all last year, and was on a horse only once or twice the year before that, and at this point in time I could care less if I ever got on a big horse again. Much as I enjoy riding, I find I'm enjoying driving the Minis and as long as I'm driving, I don't miss riding. The big horses take so much more feed, are so much more work when it comes to hoof trimming...for me, Minis win hands down. I won't sell my saddles just yet, but I do find myself wishing all the big horses were gone!

[SIZE=10pt]Wowee - interesting thread and very hard to respond to I might add. I LOVE my min's and just enjoy sitting in the back yard and looking at them. But I guess I am stlill young enough ( mid fourty's - YIKES! ) that I still LOVE riding the biggies. Great thread![/SIZE]

Lori

So where's your sister?????????

I had no choice but to stop riding as I became physically unable to, but I can tell you now, I STILL after ten years, miss it.

I do not miss the back ache and the pain everywhere else as well, though!!

Minis are addictive, be warned, it is not like big horses (although I had little more self control there either and was up to fifteen at one point)

I would sell the horse you have now and loan another that is easy to ride, and then make the decision.

Some horses settle for another rider (maybe yours prefers men) and become another horse altogether- maybe, (I do not know your riding level, so forgive me if this appears a lttle rude) maybe you are just not enough rider for the horse you have.

I love sportscars but I would be no good driving one all the time, they are just too fast and nippy for me, I need something quieter and slower, maybe that is all that is wrong.

After all, NO reason why you cannot have a nice, well behaved, low maintenance riding horse and four or five Minis
default_whistling.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

I love sportscars but I would be no good driving one all the time, they are just too fast and nippy for me, I need something quieter and slower, maybe that is all that is wrong.After all, NO reason why you cannot have a nice, well behaved, low maintenance riding horse and four or five Minis
[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Yupper - agree big time! Hee hee!

Lori

I was into the big horses and riding for 20 years. I was really heavy into the dressage and had an olympic coach. But when I was pregnant for my daughter I purchased a miniature, I sold my big horses and all my equipment and have not looked back.

I do not regret it at all.

If you are not enjoying them any more then do the switch.

But that's your choice.

Your big horse might just not be your match. I would sell him... and find a riding horse that you like and matches well with you.

Awhile ago I was going to give up riding totally. Had mini's already. I did have to give up for a bit..and it was a major uphill battle to be able to ride again once I could try.

I ended up with Ponies....or should say small horses. Icelandic's and a Fjord.

If you are like me and not sure...don't give up... just find a different horse or pony.
default_yes.gif
:

Just had a thread like this. Been there; done that; got the shirt!

Now, I'm probably quite a big older than you. I was having physcial problems riding even getting onto the horse because of my knee. The bigger problem, however, was that she was a show horse and had been one all her life. She was well trained but she needed that fence around her for her comfort level which meant that she was only a joy to ride in an arena or show grounds. She never liked outside trails. That was ok when we started together as I didn't like trails. However when we retired and moved, I had no to ride with, no inside arena, and she became more work than pleasure.

I got into the minis and I love them. They don't "get into my face" if they don't like what I ask of them. I drive and if you get one that's really trained for driving (maybe an older gelding that's done shows), you can still get the thrill of controling a lot of power. My older gelding can whip through cones and turn the cart with real precision. You might even be lucky enough to find a group that does drills with the carts. I've seen these groups but don't have any close by to join.

I agree with those who said it before look for another riding horse if you still think you'll ride. Whatever you chose you should try it in the situation that you'll be "living with". I don't belive that leasing a horse at a stable is the same as it would be if you had it at your place. So be sure you compare similar situations. If you just like horses and don't want the "work" any more then minis fill that bill!

First off.........welcome to the forum! I still have one big horse....he's retired, age 30+. My husband asked if I ever wanted to get a big horse again and I said no. I had a bad injury and have a weak leg because of it. I'm just not confident in my balance and strength issues. It's why I switched to mini's and I have never regretted it. I just love these little guys! Now I'm learning to drive and that's fun too.

Just had a thread like this.

Well, that would have been me that started the above mentioned thread. Check out the "Minis: The Potato Chip of the Equine World" thread (or similar title, just in case I didn't remember it exactly).

I currently have 5 full-size horses and 4 minis; and I would like to add a couple more minis. One of my full size mares has been for sale for two years, but she is still here mostly because I'm in a bad location to try to sell a good horse for a decent price. Well, just this week I decided to sell my 4 year old AQHA gelding; he needs someone who will be putting a lot of hours in the saddle, which isn't me. So, I'm going to concentrate on training my 3 year old AQHA gelding, putting more hours on my older APHA mare and watch my senior gelding enjoy his retirement (he's currently semi-retired, cause he still like to go out under saddle, but we do easy rides, now).

I don't ride as much as I used to, definitely not enough to keep 4 horses in shape or trained, so going down to 3 is a good choice. [it might even be going down to 2, my equine dentist is very interested in my APHA mare.]

Like others have said it a decision only you can make.

I went through this same decision. Ten years ago I was thrown from a horse and broke my back. Most painful thing I've ever had to endure! :new_shocked: Sold the riding horses, bought my first mini, which I still have. Had several minis, bought more riding horses, sold the minis (except the first), then sold riding the horses, bought more minis. Couldn't make up my mind for several years.
default_unsure.png
: I would be okay riding until the horse spooked, and we all know there's no such thing as a spook proof horse. That sudden sideways jolt feels like a knife going through my back! But I still had the desire to ride! Then one day I sat down, got out some paper and wrote down the names of all the horses, minis, ponies and mules I had owned (and it was a lot!) and the names of others that I had ridden or driven that belonged to other people. I listed them by horse, pony, mini and mule and wrote down the good points and bad points of each individual. Then I rated how much I had enjoyed each animal and if I had the chance to have it back, would I want to. To my surprise, I realized that I didn't really enjoy the riding horses or the mules like I had thought I did. :new_shocked: I had just had them so long, it had become a habit to own them! I enjoyed the ponies, but the minis were the ones that had brought me the most pleasure, and wouldn't mind have any of the minis that I have sold back.
default_yes.gif
: There were only a couple of the big horses that I wouldn't mind having back. The first two years after breaking my back were very hard for me and I was very depressed because I didn't think I'd ever ride again. But after putting it on paper and remembering some of the things I went through with the big horses (also had one rear up and fell on top of me and got kicked in the ribs by another one)
default_wacko.png
: I know that I made the right decison, and truthfully, I don't really care to have any thing to do with the big guys any more. Some times you just have to take a long hard look at yourself and decide what is right for you.
default_wink.png
:

Hi All, first of all, thanks to everyone, this really helped to hear some of you went throught the same things. My sister's mini, Grace, is healing from muscle damage and is having acupuncture and massage therapy done...so shes just hanging out right now. Anyways, i just dont think my horse is happy right now. she got out this weekend and spent the night down at the neobors house with their horses until we noticed and went and got her in the morning. ever since that she has been pacing and calling out to the other horses and doesnt want anything to do with me. i could spend hundreds to train her and board with other horses, but i dont think it would be as fun as having a horse that actually likes to see you and spend time with you.

Today I spent the day at Kathy Howards house here in vancouver, she was so nice to talk about my decisions and help me out. I really love the minis, im just afraid that I would miss being on a 1200lb horse running around as fast as i can go...im the speed type, i ride motorcycles and love to go fast, i just dont know if i can get that from a mini horse. but thank you for all your help on this, and opinions. ive been riding her for about 2 years now, she is a very over excited horse and loves to run, both her parents are racehorses and shes got that blood in her. its just more time than i want to put in. she needt to be worked non-stop everyday for at least an hour...are all horses going to be like that? if im gone on vacation, ill come back and have to almost start over with her because all my work is gone!!! why is that? its very very frusterating. anyways, any views on her being herd-bound, and comments would be great. thanks again!

Shayna

I never owned a big horse because i nrver had the space but use to ride a good friend of mines and he was 16hands and i have a mini now he's 30'' and theres a big difference in size..I have to say i dont show my mini he's a pet.....but i have to say i love riding and i do miss it but im hoping to get a big horse soon as one of my friends owns a livery yard so i be able to keep him there..I do miss riding alot :bgrin

Hope you can make your decision
default_wub.png
:

its just more time than i want to put in. she needt to be worked non-stop everyday for at least an hour...are all horses going to be like that? if im gone on vacation, ill come back and have to almost start over with her because all my work is gone!!!

Shayna
No, not all horses are like that. Each one is an individual. My husband's horse is ridden maybe a dozen times a year and he's just fine. A little antsy at first, but not difficult. I have two horses that I don't ride nearly enough, but they are also fine with the infrequent rides; the mare needs a little longing first (maybe 5-10 minutes total, just to get her focused), but otherwise fine and the gelding is no problem.

We use to lease Barrel horses, we owned a few in the beginning but as time went on i wanted the more expensive trained barrell horses but didnt have the money to buy them so we ended up leasing them. I didnt have any idea i would get into Mini's/Classics at that time and to tell the truth, i didnt really enjoy ridding and doing barrels. The only reason that i kept up with it was it was fun times with friends.

Then i got my first Mini and at that time it was only a Pet type thing, i got 2 and it was just a pet thing. Then this past 6 or 7 months i started taking it serious because ive gotten interested in showing. Basically i did my research and found my thing. Today i take it very seriously but have fun with it.

I also never felt the same way around Big horses as i do around the Mini's. I never could bond with the big horses because with big horses you kind of see them as 'riding and riding only', you dont get the friendship type thing you get with the Mini's. I can bond with my mini's and i enjoy spending more time around them, its my own thing and i dont do it because my friends are involved with it. Its just something i enjoy, ridding doesnt compare to it.

I have a yearling Paint filly right that now i've had since she was a weanling and i figured that if i could raise a big horse from a foal, i would be able to connect with it more. Well she is now a year old this month and i can already tell that she wasnt ment for me (big horses in general), so she is for sale because i need to stick to the Minis/Classics.

I always say every horse person has a breed that they LOVE ...well for some its Arabs, Some its Quarters, Some it Morgans ....for me its Mini's & Classic Shetlands.

Leeana H.

i too am new to the forum...this is my first reply. to a subject close to my heart. i sold my big mare just a few months ago after it became clear we were no longer really enjoying riding her, she had become unmanigable due to lack of exercise really. ( i need one that can be dragged out the field once a week and taken for a hack without too much drama). her companion ( a little mini mare) was let distraught so i then bought another and now have three. so to answer your question.... i find the little horses to be in a completely different league to other horses and wonderful, but i miss the mare and have decided to t ry to find a more placid horse that will suit me better.........it's going to be a long haul... also, you have to be a bit hard hearted, no matter how much you may love an animal , if they are not suiting your way of life or your riding ability, sell them on and try again. in the meantime you can become very attatched to your little minis,and lavish all your attention on them because they dont do anything wrong .

oh.... and in the meantime go to a riding centre once a week, and keep your muscles working for when you do get the perfect horse.....thats what i do....

I am now considering leasing my full size horse out for a while and getting two minis. I feel in love with a chestnut pinto filly yesterday. she was bottle fed because her dam didnt have milk, and she loves humans! she just followed me everywhere and loved me! my horse made a 2nd attempt to get out of the fence last night :no: and i just know she is not happy here with me anymore. i love her to death, but i want her to be happy, and i know she is not. anyways, ill let you guys know what i decide when i come up with something

Shayna

Regarding your question if all horses are like that....I agree with other answers to this, each horse is different and there are different horses in each breed. I know that if I get back on my 17 hh paint tomorrow he would be just fine even though it has been 2 years. And I know this because I've been there done that. I remember several years ago my hubby and I had been so involved in our own business for so long (working 70+ hours a week) that there simply was no time for riding and it was going on the third summer. When we finally just made the time to ride, our families came to watch as they said we would be having a rodeo. We said, no way, you just watch and see. Well, they were all sorely disappointed because our horses (a large POA and a racing bred AQHA) acted like they were rode or trained daily. Now we certainly don't have any plugs, but the difference was our relationship with them (always calm and loving) AND their own personalities. My big Paint horse was considered very arrogant, no respect for people, extremely atheletic, etc etc when I adopted him. It was not known when he was ridden last and I was told he was very very pushy, had been a Dressage horse but found in starved condition on a ranch and no one could find out what had happened to him. I simply used a calm and loving approach with him and he has NEVER given me an ounce of problem even when I saddle and ride him. But obviously he must have had a willingness to please in him, possibly prefered women (although he's very good with my husband as well) and has the personality of forgiveness and need for the type of horse/human relationship we provide.

Another rescue I have is an Arab/Thoroughbred/Walker cross that everyone said would be way too hot. He is half TH and 1/4 Arab. He is the biggest pocket pony of all my biggies and could care less about staying with the herd. His favorite thing is to follow me everywhere and hope I will just stand still so he can snoozle my hair and rest his muzzle on my shoulder.

Sorry, I'm getting on a tangent here.....guess what I am trying to say is that not all horses need to be exercised by their human or ridden to be happy and dependable companions for people. There are many out there like this, and many that are not. Perhaps you need to look at and spend time with some other big horses of various breeds and mixes, ages and dispositions. See how you feel and don't rush into anything. Perhaps you will decide you just want minis for now. You can always change your mind later. Like I said in my previous post, examine your gut feelings, they usually aren't wrong.

Back