Freeloader

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantminimore

Reaction score
We have my BIL pretty much living with us, he lived with us back in March for about 4 months, he went to jail and he's been here since Dec. 11th. He has a little make shift place of his own next door but has no running water there so he eats his meals here, has his laundry done here and has an occasional shower here. What would be a fair amount to charge him per week for so called rent?

He has given $150 for groceries since he's been here. I cook the meals, do the dishes and he has a lady friend that has been here twice since he's been out and she's done his laundry here and she's used our shower when she's been here.

We've been paying his power bill which is about $10-15 dollars a month and his land taxes and storing his stuff here since about 2005. Oh yeah, he is my husbands older brother, he's almost 50 years old. It's causing a lot of friction, I get all worked up that there's no money but hubby doesn't seem to care that we are pretty much supporting the brother.

Our daughter and SIL are here for supper almost every night too.

Calgon take me away!!!!

I know how you feel--at least my mom would--My oldest sister who has been married for over 4 years and has 3 kids comes to our house at LEAST 5 days out of the week! Not to mention her kids destroying the house and fridge XD AND my other oldest brother and sister are still living here back and forth and they're in their 20's....idk....

I own my home on my parent's property and out of courtesy pay them $400 a month. They've always been there for me and now it's my time to help them.

My Brother (27) lives at home, just let his GF (20) of 2? weeks move in and she lived there for over three months rent free until my parents had enough. They were eating their food, running up utilities, etc. My Brother has been charged $200 a month for the past few years and only recently they started charging his GF $150. She has lived there four months now. Both work, he works FT and her PT. Neither drive so it's one of the parents taking them to and from work (30 mins each way) and wherever they want to go, they don't pay for fuel.. A bad situation and I get frustrated whenever I state my opinion. My parents are in their early 50s, work extremely hard full time / good jobs and shouldn't be caring for two grown adults. Not to mention their lack of privacy.. They have taken over three bedrooms (6 bedroom house), family room, two bathrooms, etc.! My Mom calls me just to vent, but she put herself in that situation and could change it, but doesn't want to in fear of ruining My Brother's relationship.

Good luck, stand up for what you expect or it just gets worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to be a freeloader... (kinda)way back in the day

So this is what I did to help since I could'nt afford to pay anything (no job)

I did house chores, cooked meals, yard chores, fix things, take care of livestock, drive the boyfriends mom (she had no drivers licence) anywhere she needed at anytime no questions! And anything and everything I could to help.

SO! if this sounds like something ya might like to at least have done, I would suggest these instead of cash if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my share of couch surfers, freeloaders and I've had it. Told one tonight to not come back. My teenage kids think nothing of letting them stay. The lies these freeloaders come up with to persuade me no longer work. I've heard about so many "Psycho moms" "My parents kicked me out for no reason" they're drunks etc. Sorry, I'm ranting
default_frusty.gif

My Moms brothers are alot like that too--they're always trying to borrow money and sometimes they never pay back....My oldest brother finally moved out again...but who knows--he'll probably come back eventually like usual XD

I have someone living with me too, I turned it around so now I can't live without him. At first he was working and paying $500 a month to rent space using a trailer. Then he lost his job and the house trailer but still had no where to go. Here's how we solved the problem, he must work, he does so much you wouldn't believe it, like my right hand man, although I won't tolerate him having guests, if you know what I mean. He must scrub and fill all water tubs and buckets, unload all hay, grain, straw, whatever, help catch horses, open gates, clean stalls, hold for grooming, farrier, vet, or whenever needed. Help split firewood, bring it into the house, clean the wood stoves, start the fires, help clean the chimneys, help with repairs, yardwork, whenever and whatever is needed. Believe me it helps me out and I'm sure sometimes he feels like leaving, but if he needs a home and a hot meal, he must work. You might try turing this around to your favor, if he works he stays, if he doesn't he leaves, but after a couple of weeks of hard farm work he may want to leave on his own.

Back