Free lunging???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverstar

Reaction score
Ive heard alot about free lunging but what exactly is it??? Sorry if this is a stupid question!!!! I know you are not supposed to lunge youngsters as its bad for their joints etc but many say they free lunge. Is this not the same except not on a line???Will they still not damage their joints???

confused
default_wacko.png
default_unsure.png

Yes, Free lunging is not on a line.

For weanlings, I dont even excersize. They love to run and play, they dont need to be worked

for yearlings, lunging puts a lot of stress on their developing joints/muscles. I rarely line a yearling. I free lunge them in the round pen ar arena for excersize.

When you free lunge the horsedoesnt have the pulling on the head.

What I consider free longe is (correct me if I'm wrong) is working my mini in a round pen with no longe line and I would think it would be also hard on a youngsters joints, just like longing is.

No question is a stupid question.
default_smile.png
We all have to learn some way and if we do not ask questions, we do not learn.

Free lunging is round pen work. You fence in a round area and work your horses in a circle with only a lunge wip. No contact with the horse except to flick the wip if they stop or slow down. I do 5 minutes in one direction before I turn them the other way and do 5 minutes, then back the other way 5 minutes and so on.(this builds up mussels on both sides equally.) You need to start them off with walking and troting. I usually start with about 7 to 8 minutes every other day the first week, then 10 minutes evey other day the second week and work up from there in increments. I like to get them up to 20 minutes a day 5 to 6 days a week. Make sure that the round pen is not too small, if it is, it will be hard on their joints.

I also use a gator (or a golf cart or 4 wheeler) so that they are trotting alongside me and can go strait and get out to see other sites. This helps break up the monotony of training for them too. The only thing with this, is some of them spend their whole time pulling against the lead. Try and train them not to do that.

default_smile.png

Free lunging is round pen work. You fence in a round area and work your horses in a circle with only a lunge wip. No contact with the horse except to flick the wip if they stop or slow down. I do 5 minutes in one direction before I turn them the other way and do 5 minutes, then back the other way 5 minutes and so on.(this builds up mussels on both sides equally.) You need to start them off with walking and troting. I usually start with about 7 to 8 minutes every other day the first week, then 10 minutes evey other day the second week and work up from there in increments. I like to get them up to 20 minutes a day 5 to 6 days a week. Make sure that the round pen is not too small, if it is, it will be hard on their joints.

I also use a gator (or a golf cart or 4 wheeler) so that they are trotting alongside me and can go strait and get out to see other sites. This helps break up the monotony of training for them too. The only thing with this, is some of them spend their whole time pulling against the lead. Try and train them not to do that.
Thanks for your replies..... what is the best size for a round pen to be???

Thanks

I dont know exact measurements, and this answer is vauge but: big enough for the horse to run, while you are in it.

My boarders is (total guess) 28-30 feet in diameter.

Free lunging is just lingung w/ out a line. I have never heard it being bad for little ones but i wouldn't work them hard for they have short attention spans and they get bored easily but i don't know about there joints. With my 8 month old colt i use to w/t/c wile leading him around the yard and i would give him obstacles to do like walking over a pole but not jumping. Now since there is snow on the ground and he can't tear the grass up i just let him loose and he runs him self.

The key is moderation.

Just make sure you pen gives them plenty of room to run and just don't overdue it. These youngsters need to be taught doing something instead of standing around doing nothing. Roundpenning can be a great tool. Another thing to do is work with them in halter obstacle.

You want the pen big enough so that the tip(rope part) of your lunge wip can touch them. I have 10 8'Mini pannels and 1 gate pannel. This also gives me room to run more than one at a time. I sometimes will have up to 4 at a time, as long as they do not fight with each other. I find I have no trouble running colts and fillys together up to 2 years old. Just keep them moving so they do not have time to chew or jump on each other.

default_smile.png

Thanks for your replies..... what is the best size for a round pen to be???

Thanks

The way I understand it, the line when you lunge line can put stress on the neck and shoulders and is generally not a good idea for young horses. My round pen is 40' and I do round pen / free lunge yearlings for about 15 minutes every other day when conditioning to show.

The way I understand it, the line when you lunge line can put stress on the neck and shoulders and is generally not a good idea for young horses. My round pen is 40' and I do round pen / free lunge yearlings for about 15 minutes every other day when conditioning to show.
Thanks everyone!!!! I was always under the impressions lunging put more strain on the legs etc but i couldnt understand why, rather than their head/necks, but what you are saying makes sense!!!

I would like to make a round pen for my, gosh 2 year old now!!! but was unsure how wide it was to be so ive got some good ideas now thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back