Freakin' dogs!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
then you do not love your dogs..

I have seen and heard of many horible attacks that dogs did and it is not the fact that these, obvoulsy wild dogs are doing this that I am writting what I am. I think you have the right to get them off your property.
Yeah, I know that. I know so much about dogs it would make your head spin.

No one questioned what you know or don't know about dogs. If you think beloved pets won't do this, why don't you do a search and see what Laura went through very recently when one of her old pets decided it was a fun game to try to kill her daughters little show gelding. He has no anus and they were very lucky the little guy lived. Even wonderful and well trained pets can snap while in the pack mentality. I am very glad that the paintball thing worked for you, but I can tell you that if any one of my animals was going after another with viscious intent to kill, it would be destroyed. It would break my heart and be done as humanely as possible, but it would be done. I learned to walk with my dog pulling me up and grew up with my family breeding and showing Norwegian Elkhounds and they were a part of the family, so don't claim to think I or anyone else here doesn't love their dogs. The point remains that once an animal becomes viscious and attacks to kill once, it WILL do it again. People have the right and the obligation to protect the animals in our care as well as out families. If you feel your dogs are in danger of getting shot, then I suggest you do your part and keep them up. I don't care if it is your dog or any other, if is attacking my babies, it will be toast if that is what it takes. When something is attacking like that, it is no longer a pet.

Even wonderful and well trained pets can snap while in the pack mentality. I am very glad that the paintball thing worked for you, but I can tell you that if any one of my animals was going after another with viscious intent to kill, it would be destroyed. It would break my heart and be done as humanely as possible, but it would be done. I learned to walk with my dog pulling me up and grew up with my family breeding and showing Norwegian Elkhounds and they were a part of the family, so don't claim to think I or anyone else here doesn't love their dogs. The point remains that once an animal becomes viscious and attacks to kill once, it WILL do it again. People have the right and the obligation to protect the animals in our care as well as out families. If you feel your dogs are in danger of getting shot, then I suggest you do your part and keep them up. I don't care if it is your dog or any other, if is attacking my babies, it will be toast if that is what it takes. When something is attacking like that, it is no longer a pet.
I second that. I adore my dogs, all nine of them (different breeds) live in the house and are part of the family. We have taken in many rescues and abandoned dogs through the years. Most have made wonderful companions and have been great with the other animals, but every now and then, there will be one that is just H*ll bent on killing. I am not talking about chasing (though I am sure if not dealt with that it would progress to worse things), we have had a couple that wanted to and it was quite easily trained out of them. I am talking about fixated on and determined to catch and kill, and nothing is going to deter it. The first one that we had like that, we tried everything to retrain it, but it just kept catching and killing our chickens, ducks, and then one of our rabbits. The day he snarled at my husband as he tried to stop him going after another one, we made the decision that he had to go before it became a horse or worse, a child. We had one that tried to run calves down, and another that went after one of our smaller dogs. That attack (which the little Sheltie miraculously survived) cost us nearly $1000. at the vets. We don't mess about with this type of aggression anymore. They are humanely euthanized. I would never dump them, that is not only irresponsible but cruel, and we would never pass that problem on to someone else.

Yes even much loved family pets can commit these acts given the right set of circumstances. Don't kid yourself that it is only dogs gone wild that attack.

Even a small dog can be a threat to a child under certain circumstances........

We had a little West Highland Terrier that had been a beloved family pet for my dad. My dad passed away and we brought "Amos" home. As he got older he started going blind and deaf. We had our daughter crawling around - being mobile and twice she startled Amos. The first time he snapped and grazed her hand. The second time, he caught her on the top of her head.........It wasn't a serious wound, but that was it for us. We couldn't take a chance again.

Amos was humanely euthanized with us holding him and sending him over to be with my dad, who I'm sure was waiting for him.

We are currently involved in another dog issue. This time our next door neighbor is angry at us because he's seen one of our dogs crawling on the adjoining rock fence. He raises Angus cows. He called us to complain and we explained that she was hunting the mice and rock-chucks in the rock wall. This was several months ago.....

Then about 2 weeks ago he called us again and threatoned to shoot her if he ever saw her on his side again! The problem with that was, our dog was IN THE HOUSE with our daughter all morning! So, we aren't sure exactly what he's talking about! The man is 70 years old. And we tried to call to find out exactly what he saw, but he's never returned our phone-calls. We also called the local County Sheriff and was told he is not allowed to shoot unless a dog is literally threatoning his livestock.

We have been very careful to keep our dog away from the neighbor's fence-line since the first phone call. And now with the second call, Larry is currently building a secondary fence line on OUR side of the rock.

What's ironic about all of this is -- if any of our dogs EVER threatoned, injured, killed.....etc. livestock - including our own, we would not HESITATE but would have the dog(s) euthanized. Would there be tears? Of course! But what other choice would we have????

Our dogs are our pets and hold a special place in our hearts, but they also have a wild instinct buried down deep in their brain that can be aroused........especially when they join a pack. It's then that we all have to look at their behavior differently and behave responsibley. I pray that I will never have to be in that position.

MA

you want to know the truth. We had a horse that USED to attack dogs. It went after my dog one day.. Let just say it CAN'T do that anymore. SSS right? ddin't bother me in the least. I hated that stupid horse.
My 26" stallion and my mares go after dogs. I encourage it. We have enough trouble with the neighbors dogs in my field. My llamas have defended our foals against dogs. And we have warned our neighbors if their dog is seen in our fields, they'll never see it again.

Lucy

I can't believe someone could be so cruel. You DO NOT have to be so mean about this! I am more of a dog lover then anyone I have ever met and would do anything for dogs.

I understand completly that you cannot have these dogs running on your property hurting your animals, but why do you have to talk about such violent ways of killing them!?!?!?!

It would be no different then me saying on the forum that my stupid mini got out and was chasing my dog so I poisoned it ans slowly watched it die, or shot it in the head then burried it. That is just something that dosn't need to be said. It is offensive.

so thank you for confirming my belief in the fact that there are still horible people out there doing horible things

I recvd this email from Briana-do you really think I care what you think of me? I bet you slept good last night! Again we will sleep with the windows open and run when we hear the stallion screaming, I really would like to sleep in my pj's and not my clothes.
default_yes.gif
:

Oh my dear Denise.......I'm so sorry you're being dumped on!

You are living in a high stress situation right now, trying to protect your loving fur-family. (And probably not getting a lot of sleep!) Please know that there are many of us out in cyberland who understand and are thinking of you........

Sending you a lot of positive thought this evening.......

MA

I agree: shoot, shovel, & shhhhhhhh! A dog that keeps returning to attack is a bad dog and there is no help for it/them. Good luck!

Thinking of different ways to kill these stray dogs makes me crazy. Once again I feel not only sad and angry for you but I also feel sad for the dogs. It is not their fault. It is the fault of the non-responsible owners that allow them to populate and run at large, and they are the ones that should be punished, not them, not you and most certainly not your animals. I hope you can locate them.

Getting dogs for protection for your animals will most likely only cause a dog fight between your dogs and them. I've been down this road before. I would suggest that you use field fencing to help keep the dogs out of your fields and add a hot wire and maybe some cow bells on your gates or wherever you think they are getting in. I'm sorry that is all I can come up with for an idea for you.

Another unjust part of this whole thing is that you are put in the position to have to go to more expense to protect what should already be safe on your own property.
I tend to agree with Marty. I hate the thought of the pain those dogs would endure dying from an impaction a clean shot would be so much faster and more civilized. I wish there were stiffer penalties for PEOPLE who let their dogs roam. I am tired of having to fence every property I have ever lived on to keep other peoples dogs out. I have and love dogs and do my darndest to keep mine home, I also accept that should one of mine escape and agravate my neighbor they have every right to dispatch my dog and it is MY fault not the dog's. If you opt for guardian dogs you need at least two otherwise they will be overpowered by a pack. Also if your fencing wont keep these dogs out it definately wont keep guardian dogs in.

I am so sorry you are having these problems and honestly wish the OWNERS of these dogs could be hung in public. I have told many of my neighbors that I am going to start putting elastrator bands on every testicle packing male dog that walks on my property :bgrin :bgrin many people are shocked tough I have had it with all these lab somethings with balls crapping in my front yard and annoying my dogs who are penned and barking at my horses and bringing garbage to my pastures..............................

Denise I COMPLETELY understand what you're going through and know that many of us DO know and agree with you, dogs can NOT be allowed to run free, it's just a recipe for disaster.

In the past we had a neighbors lab/chow dog attack our goat, and then it attempted to attack my mini stallion, the dog lost, the horse won, I LOVE this horse, he protects what is his and stomped the dog to death.

We currently have a neighbor that has a wolf cross and think it's the "cutest itty bitty widdle thing" ugh, I've chucked rocks at it left and right BUT don't have to worry, if it gets to close to my dog it's DEAD, my dog KNOWS it's not a regular dog and can and WILL take it out, no ifs ands or butts, Cooterdog will finish the deal.

Dogs are pack animals, if we don't remain the top dog in the pack then things can and will go bad, again, no if's ands or butts in it.

Honestly? I wouldn't trust my 4 rat terriers together if they got out with weaned foals, the chase would be to fun and the results would not be nice, so the ratties are house/leash dogs and MY responsibility.

Hugs to ya, keep the gun close and protect your kids.

krisp

th_Hersheyswounds005.jpg
Last spring was a difficult one for me. I lost my mom to cancer, a beautiful sweet colt to a dog attack, almost lost my favorite filly to a dog attack and than was devastated when I discovered it was my own beloved dog doing the attacks. She was humanely put down and I grieve her as well as my dead colt. My filly survived, but suffered terribly. I do not like to put any animal down, but do not feel I had a choice over having my dog put down. I know we have all heard it a million times, that once a dog tastes blood... etc. However, you cannot imagine the horror, shock and pain you feel when your horse is attacked unless you have personally been through it. When you see your beloved horse who always known only love and gentleness having been attacked with NO defense it changes you forever. You will do almost anything to prevent it from happening again. That doesn't mean that we have to become dog haters, I love my dogs. But it does mean that we must be realistic about what a dog can do, and that we must find ways to protect our horses. Hershey was a tiny, show quality colt. I share these photo's not to shock or upset you, but to help share what even a "good" dog can do to a miniature horse

Last edited by a moderator:
ANY child is worth the life of a dog.

I would kill with my bare hands any dog that attacked a child of mine.

To put the life of an animal above that of a human...well, words fail me!!

That aside, I do hate the idea of hurting them- they have no idea they are hurting the horses, it is their instincts, kill by all means, hurt, obviously, as little as possible.

My ideal would be to live capture and make the owners hold them whilst they are euthanised!!
:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I agree completely

I'm agianst the sponge or the antifreeze, simply due to the suffering it would cause, be it to coyote, dog, raccon, or any other animal attracted to it.

But I'm with the majority, and so is my mother and probably most if not all of my family- if an animal is attacking our pets, OUR FAMILY, it will be taken care of. It would be with as much compassion as we can muster, but it will happen.

We've got a Chow here that runs loose- so far it's only been out front and in the neighbor's yard above ours. If it got after one of our cats, or went after one of the dogs, Or god forbid my son- I'd be all ready to take that dog out. I'm sorry- no animal has the right to freely wander onto -MY- property and attack MY animals and family.

Anyone who lets their dogs freely roam doesn't, IMO, care for their dogs much. There is entirely too much danger for a roaming dog- from other dogs and animals, to cars, poisons (intentional or otherwise), to diseases and injury from enviormental hazards (natural or otherwise). It drives me nuts to see dogs wandering loose- I've lost count of how many times we've nearly hit a small dog down the road because it runs out in front of the car when you turn the corner, or the times I've been afraid to walk places because of loose and very nasty dogs...

I'm an animal lover. I don't like the idea of killing anything- but if push ever comes to shove and it's me or mine vs. a dog or dogs... well, I'll do what I have to do.

Remeber- some places do not have Animal Control, or anything to help in these situations. And no one should have to LET an animal harm them and theirs.

Denise,

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. The stress involved and the fear and worry about your little horses has to be so very difficult.

We are all animal lovers and no one likes the thought of having to destroy a dog but you certainly have NO choice.

I well remember the anguish that my good friend, Lisa (Runaway Ranch) went through when her minis were attacked - at first she thought it was a predator and imagine her pain when she found out it was her very own sweet little Rosie. Rosie was Lisa's constant companion and I know how much it hurt for her to make the inevitable decision to have Rosie euthanized. I know this was one of the hardest things Lisa has ever had to do but she knew in her heart that it was for the best.

Hugs and prayers for you Denise as you deal with this horrific situation. Do whatever you must to keep those precious minis safe - the majority of us are behind you 100%!

I agree with all those that said Shoot the Dogs...It has to be done. The dogs cannot be allowed to maim or kill Denises horses. I have a rifle next to my bed for emergencies such as this. I only had to use it once and that was at a fox carrying away one of my chickens. Missed.

And pet dogs can and will kill when the opportunity is there. I used to raise Shih Tzus, a very calm fun little bundles of love. They were in the back yard just playing when one of my chickens flew in. I heard excited barking and got to the door just as these loving little muffins started chasing the chicken. It was all in fun, at first, you could see the change come over them...they were chasing and barking and never expecting to catch it. Usually when a chicken flew in, it just flew out. This one misjudged the distance over the fence and crashed into the top of it and fell back in just as the little cuties arrived. These loving little guys that wouldn't hurt a fly changed before my eyes into a snarling pack of fuzzy wolves. Their bodies stiffened and they attacked enmass. I ran as fast as I could but by the time I got there they had torn out her stomache and were trying to shred the rest of her. I'll never forget the look in that chickens eyes as I picked her up. To this day I still see her fear filled eyes. I watched those eyes as I wrung her neck, it was the only humane thing to do for her and I was sick to my stomach. at having to do it. If little Shih Tzus can become a pack and join in on a kill, ANY DOG is capable of it. SSS

BTW I am also a dog rescuer as well as a Mini rescuer, but would not hesitate to shoot a dog if my minis were at risk....!!!

Ginny StP

Denise, My heart is sad for you and the stress you are going through right now. I hope you manage to shoot the dogs that are trying to attack your horses. I love dogs but it is a real bone of contention for me when people in the country let their dogs run free, yeah free to get hit by a car, free to get in a pack and attack other animals and children. The sad part is that the owners are at fault not the dogs but of course our law has no teeth when it comes to situations like this. When we moved here 5 years ago there were neighbours who let their dogs run free in a pack and they came on our property, now they were not attacking so I fired a couple of shots in the air and they ran off, then I let a local farmer know that I would not hesitate to shoot any dog on my property that went near any of my animals. We have 6 minis, flock of sheep, cats, dogs, ducks and chickens. After telling him that the "visits" stopped and I meant every word, I would not hesitate, I take great pains to make sure my 3 golden retrievers are contained unless I or my husband are out with them they are either in the house or in their kennels which have a roof so they can't jump out or anything else can't jump in. Before we put the roof on we had racoons climbing in at night and getting into our workshop through the dog doors, had to shoot a few of them too. Hugs and good thoughts coming your way Denise that soon there will be a final solution to your problem.
default_wub.png
:

Yvonne

I can't believe someone could be so cruel. You DO NOT have to be so mean about this! I am more of a dog lover then anyone I have ever met and would do anything for dogs.

I understand completly that you cannot have these dogs running on your property hurting your animals, but why do you have to talk about such violent ways of killing them!?!?!?!

It would be no different then me saying on the forum that my stupid mini got out and was chasing my dog so I poisoned it ans slowly watched it die, or shot it in the head then burried it. That is just something that dosn't need to be said. It is offensive.

so thank you for confirming my belief in the fact that there are still horible people out there doing horible things

I recvd this email from Briana-do you really think I care what you think of me? I bet you slept good last night! Again we will sleep with the windows open and run when we hear the stallion screaming, I really would like to sleep in my pj's and not my clothes.
default_yes.gif
:
If your mini got out and savagely attacked an innocent dog that was just minding it's own business and it tried to attack you when you tried to get it off of the dog, and then you shot it to save the dog THAT would be no different then this, and i would say you did the right thing.

I would never poison an animal, and shooting is a last resort... an absolute last resort, but if it has to be done then it has to be done. I live in Michigan, I can't sleep with my windows open, it's below freezing here at night now, and I absolutely refuse to risk my own life to stop a dog attack (I have a child to think of, who also needs protecting and who needs her mom. I can;t risk getting attacked by a dog and leaving my family without the care I provide). And by the time you hear your horse screaming it is TOO LATE. I've seen what a dog can do to someone who tries to stop an attack and it isn;t pretty.

If I see a dog on my property i try to find it's owner and talk to them. If I see the dog chasing my animals or threatening my family I try to trap it in my barn and call animal control. If those fail and the animal tries to attack my animals it gets a bullet. period. I've had a pony attacked and spent hundreds of dollars getting her back end stitched back together... and her attack was a minor one. I was OUTSIDE standing on the porch, the dogs ran across and before I could get to the pasture my mares back end was flayed open like she'd been sliced by a butcher knife and she had a dog hanging off of her hind quarters. It happened THAT FAST.

What would you suggest we do, run out and fling ourselves between the attacking dog and our horses? try to reason with little Fluffy and explain why killing our horses is a naughty thing to do?

I HATE that this is even something i have to think about, for god's sake I've spent most of my life doing animal RESCUE (I'm such a horrible person!!!) But if some idiot isn;t willing to keep their animal at home where it friggin belongs then someone has to keep the rest of the neighborhood safe. If that means I have to shoot shovel and shut up then so be it.

Honestly, no one WANTS to have to do this, no one ENJOYS it. Each and every one of us would much rather have the dogs owners be RESPONSIBLE and keep their animals HOME where they belong. If you want to get upset, how about you direct the anger where it belongs, at the irresponsible owners who let their dogs run loose. I mean seriously, if you are going to call us horrible people for protecting our animals from dangerous predators how about you come up with a realistic way to do it without having to resort to ending a life instead of just telling us how evil and nasty we are.

And yes, unfortunately it does need to be talked about. Offensive or not, it is reality and should be talked about. Maybe if these people who think it is so wonderful to let their dog roam fully understood the suffering they cause they would think twice about letting their dog run loose and then we wouldn't need to deal with this at all.

Denise had you considered actually setting a "baited" trap for these dogs??

Give Tony a shout- he may well be able to give real input on this he has been through so much this year and I know he would help you if he can- e-mail him and work something out- he got the problem solved in the end and it may well be something he does not wish to discuss publicly because of people like NVOkapi.

I've had two very personal experiences with neighboring dogs. My husband drives a big work service truck, and he brings it home each night. One night, after dark, I was working at my computer, and I heard his very loud truck horn sound a couple times, and then I went to the window to see his lights were still on the vehicle. I could see his shadow in the rays of the lights. I started to laugh because I thought he was trying to be silly. I went to the front door, and when I opened it, I heard him yelling really loud. I asked him what he was doing, and he pointed to the corner of the house. There were the neighbors two....very large rottweiler dogs!!! I froze in horror, not knowing what to do, or what or if I could do anything. I didn't know anything about the gun at that time, and here I was faced with a situation like this. Two very large dogs threatening my husband who was only trying to come into his own house. They were growling, and baring their teeth. Dave had a pitch fork, but the gun was in the house. Luckily the dogs left the yard without anything happening to my husband. I called the police, and they came to "talk" to this neighbor. Didn't do a bit of good, we'd talked to him before, and his answer was he didn't believe in tying his animals. His animals were free to run the territory, and they always did.

The second experiece happened to me, and I was terrified! A group of people were across the road at the neighbors. One of the rottweilers that belonged to the neighbor down from him was with them, and roaming freely. My husband worked in Chicago during the weeks at that time (we're in WI), so he would be gone all week. I was out in the back part of the fence putting in a gate between fences, and it was still early afternoon. We only had full size horses back then, two at that time. I had my big Kentucky Mountain gaited mare Belle, and another gaited roan gelding. I noticed the horses perk up quickly to look at something, I had been quite busy, and didn't notice it at first, but when I looked up there was one of the big rottweilers coming at me. Luckily I was on the same side of the fence as the horses. My horses sensed I was scared, and they ran the dog off. The dog ran a few feet, the horses stopped, yet were watching him. The dog tried to circle back to get at me, and the horses took after him again, this time running after him till he kept going. I was screaming as loud as I could at the group of people across the road, even before the dog got close to me the first time, but no body cared. No body came to get the dog until after the horses had run it out of the fence. My two horses, knowing I was terrified, came back to me. My black mare put her head over my shoulder, and I just hugged her shaking terribly while I cried. My roan gelding put his head right up against my back, and they stood there for about 15 min until they knew I was ok. After that, they stayed right in the same area as me, until they knew it was safe. I thanked God that day for the love of my horses, I'd never been so scared in my life!

And the neighbor that owns those dogs, all he said was "my dogs would never hurt anyone, their just big babies!" Bull! None of the neighbors know what happened, cause one day, one of those rotty's never came home! No, it wasn't us thank goodness, but something happened to it, and I'm glad! I don't believe anyone should ever have to feel unsafe in their own yard..........ever! And if it ever happened again, you can darn well believe I know how to use the gun this time!

Any dog will hurt and kill! Period!

OK - I stay pretty quiet these days, but enough is enough. NVsokapi or whatever, obviously you are a "younger" person who shares the responsibility of your ONE Horse with your roomies. Many of us have been around horses for most of our life, not less than 10 years. One of the things we learn early on is that some people do ACTUALLY KNOW MORE THAN US! They have lived a little and while wanting the world to be idyllic and perfect, realize it just ain't so. I have been riding, training, loving and just plain "smelling" horses for 30+ years. No one ever sets out to shoot a dog for the fun of it or to be mean, but just to protect the lives of things they care about. I hope nothing happens to that little yearling stallion of yours in the way of dog attacks which will prevent you from showing him (kinda' don't place well without an anus) and breeding (no sperm if the testicles get chewed off). Or is he the "stupid mini" you keep referring to? Hopefully Coulee Farms will see these posts and retrieve him before it is too late and he dies from an error of stupidity on your part.

I helped Denise deliver her horses to her new farm. This is a great place with the best fencing I've seen. Denise is probably one of the "pickiest" people I know about her animals. They are her children and she will defend them and ANY Animal that she feels is being mistreated. I was worried about hauling for her as I was afraid one might get a nick or injured and I would not have forgiven myself! Another tidbit some of you may not know is that Denise raises CHAMPION bulldogs. I'm not talking about the Champion on the pedigree five generations back, but RIGHT NOW AKC showing champion bulldogs. She knows a thing or two about dogs and about being a responsible and humane owner. For ANYONE to be attacking her about a personal choice to shoot dogs which already have shown the propensity to kill for sport and keep coming back, is simply assenine and uncalled for.

Denise, I hope you get the sleep you need and if I need to, I'll come out - WITH FRIENDS- and we'll have a feral dog hunt.

Back in my hidey hole.........

I also stay pretty quiet but I first will say Denise, I hope you find a way to keep your horses safe and what ever method you choose is exactly that, your choice!

Secondly, what is wrong with some of you! Some of you are so nasty it makes my stomach turn. I would have to say attacking each other is not going to help Denises dog problem
default_wink.png
: . I am not sure what makes me more sad, the dog problem or how MEAN or should I say vicious some of you are :no: .

Again, good luck and I hope you find a salution, you will be in my thoughts
default_yes.gif
: .

Latest posts

Back