Frame Overo and Splashed Owners Please share your photos :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow you have alot of nice horses keep them coming
default_smile.png

Here is my guy, Eddy. He is a frame overo. Don't really know what else, never had him tested. He is a gelding so won't be breeding him.
default_smile.png

DSC_0782-1.jpg
My favourite picture of him.

DSC_0757.jpg
The leg that isn't in the pick also has a white sock as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Zoe.

Color tested at UCDavis as a splash red head.

Two blue eyes, wrap around white on her face .... one higher white leg and white around a coronet band

and a bit of a sock.

Has foaled ::: 3 loud pinto babies with blue eyes & 3 red heads with brown eyes/these have big blazes

2 have no other white than on their faces, one has a big blaze and a small sock and a white coronet band

Sv300168-1.jpg

Bless her pudginess in this photo...she is 22 days out from delivering our long awaited colt in 2011.

Zoe5-27-11.jpg

You all have some beautiful horses, I have enjoyed looking at everyones pictures!!!!! I'm new to minis but grew up with the bigger guys which was quite a while ago. I have done lots of research on the minis but looks like I need to learn about coloring/markings.....the difference between the Overo, Splash, Torbiano. Misty maybe just a blk/wht pinto...........wow so much to learn!! But I am in the right place for that now with all of you expert mini owners!! Thank you!!

We thought Misty was going to have a blue eye but I just think her eyes are light in color. Here are a couple of pics of her and her mother. I have a picture of her father but I need to get it off my other computer.

IMG_2308.JPGIMG_2671.JPGIMG_2686.JPGIMG_2691.JPG

Pura Vidas Milagro

She is a Rowdy bred tovero pintaloosa and has some paint markings that look frame. She also has back lacing and half of her face is roaned. Very unusual but I would need to test her to find out if she is frame or splash.

milagro.jpg
I just discovered yesterday that my mares sire indeed tested positive for LWO!!!!!! So I was right about her possible having LWO but I need to test her to make sure it isn’t another gene tricking my eye.

Any New Frame or splashed.I am hoping to add a frame mare to my herd someday.Anyone want to donate one LOL Or trade for one LOL
default_smile.png

I don't know about Sponenberg's theory, but I recently came across information that said if the ears were white on the inside, that indicated possible deafness. Has something to do with the white hair follicles on the inside of the ear.

I am not extremely familiar with the pattern terminology in paints (more an appy gal), but I *think* my mare Cookie is a Tobiano. Can an experienced paint person confirm or correct me there? I know she has had two foals; but never seen either of them to know what patterns's they did or didnt have
default_smile.png
PA220343.JPGPA220348.JPG

ETA - changed my wording - said I didnt know the foal colors- meant patterns if any

I don't know about Sponenberg's theory, but I recently came across information that said if the ears were white on the inside, that indicated possible deafness. Has something to do with the white hair follicles on the inside of the ear.
The white can even be right down at the base of the ear and only found with a torch!

To recap on Pattern (colour is a whole different thing, these are not colours they are patterns)

Tobiano- if there is white on the face it is not justtobiano

LWO- white on the legs is the first thing to go, so if your horse is minimal LWO and has white socks there is another pattern present.

Splash- carries blue eyes- I am still in the camp that thinks there are way more than three splash genes and if your horse has blue eyes and tests negative I would follow your heart, not the test!

Sabino- polygenous, as I am pretty sure is Splash- only Sab1 is testable.

There is no such thing as "normal white markings"

*I STILL hate the term "overo" as it has absolutely NO meaning and is only commonly used in America but I hate the term "tovero" even more as it is just a marketing ploy most of the time and confusing the rest!!*
default_1857272.gif

Here's my newest girl Erica's Can't Touch This, she is a buckskin minimal overo. She hasn't been LWO tested but she did have a loud bay frame colt and a loud bay splash colt for Erica sired by Taker (who is LWO neg) so pretty sure she is frame, and possibly splash.
293857_10151196662319613_234323387_n.jpg
1003_10151196631859613_236130492_n.jpg

I know his markings are minimal, but would you guess splash for this little guy?

manny - sept 17, 2012.jpg

I know hideous angle and he had his hooves trimmed a few days after this pic, but it shows his markings best. And, the "white" on his front legs is baby fuzz, he barely has white around his coronets, does have back socks. And, he has pretty blue eyes.

Sire is LWO- bay stallion; dam is cremello (I suspect silver smokey cream), I don't know her LWO status (I'm pretty sure her dam was LWO-, her sire is George).

Yes, definitely Splash
No easy way to tell if he got it from his dam, being she's cremello, but... Would you say that his sire is splash, then? Here's Topper (no blue eyes and there is a star under his forelock):

Topper - March 14, 2012 - cute.jpg

Yes again. Unattached white hanging off the end of the nose is classic. May possibly be minimal Tobi as well, but (which would account for your losing the blue eyes, possibly) Splash for sure

Yes again. Unattached white hanging off the end of the nose is classic. May possibly be minimal Tobi as well, but (which would account for your losing the blue eyes, possibly) Splash for sure
Thank you. More color in my herd than I thought.

His parents are both listed as solid, I've not seen pics of his dam, but his sire is Buckeroo's Top Cat.

OK, you got my attention with this comment so now I am wondering if our 2 pinto foals from this April might carry splash? Neither was tested. Clyde's dam (also blue eyes) tested negative, and Bunny's dam was not tested but is LWO+ while Bunny is LWO negative. I am sure they are both Tobi.

Clyde is the blue-eyed bay and Bunny is the silver bay, now definitely gray so the white on her nose doesn't show up as well.

clyde_head.jpg

Bunny_head_3days.jpg

I have a few More to add
default_smile.png

Zephyr Woods Cash Money

National Champion Sr Halter Stallion
default_smile.png

I'm not sure what kind of Patterns he is I think Possibly Frame/Splash & Tobaino?

RulerNSPic.jpg

Ruler3yearold2.jpg

ROKO Lotto Blue Willow Keepsake

2011 Silver Dapple Pinto with Blue Eyes (Not Tested yet) I think she is Splashed White

website1015001.jpg

not Registered yet so no name to share

2012 Silver Buckskin Pinto LWO+

Marvel_Rside_110512.jpg

Desert Realms Girl on Fire

2012 Sorrel Pinto Filly (I think she is Splash not Tested yet)

Glimmer13DaysOld.jpg

OK, you got my attention with this comment so now I am wondering if our 2 pinto foals from this April might carry splash? Neither was tested. Clyde's dam (also blue eyes) tested negative, and Bunny's dam was not tested but is LWO+ while Bunny is LWO negative. I am sure they are both Tobi.

Clyde is the blue-eyed bay and Bunny is the silver bay, now definitely gray so the white on her nose doesn't show up as well.
Both of these carry Splash, among other things.

Back