Question about partial blue eye? Solid buckskin with star/snip

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
I have a question my new mare is solid buckskin with star and small snip with one brown eye and one eye is partial blue eye.This mare has rowdy,boones little buckeroo,Little Kings Buck Echo,CROSS COUNTRYS ROWDYS REFLECTION just to name a few in her pedigree.I notice everyone in the pedigree is solid online with AMHA.

Her sire is perlino

dam is silver dapple Her dam has partial blue eye as well.

Do you think she could have pinto in her pedigree or splash or what?If you test what would you test for?

I can't wait to see what my buckskin mare has with my splash black stud Elvis (homozygous for black gene neg for LWO)

Her first foal by cremello stud was cremello colt.

EchoGracie1012 047.JPG

disneyhorses 1147.JPG

Echo-2.jpg

Echo-4.jpg

My stud Elvis

double20vision.jpg.w300h2401.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
No way to prove it but I would bet the partial blue eye comes from Rowdy. We have a pinto gelding that is 3/8 Rowdy by blood who also has partial blue eyes and his pinto pattern comes from a long line of solid parents. Your mare could carry splash or she could be LWO+ like Rowdy must have been. OR she could be neither like our Rowdy-bred mare, Alamos Sirs Toffee Snow, who probably got her blue eyes from Rowdy.

I have quite a few with partial blue eyes (very small pieces, like your mare's). None are LWO and no Rowdy, but all are sabino. I've always had my own theory that those partial blue eyes are caused by sabino. Very few agree with me though-most say splash and I think that is definitely a possibility too.

No, I'll not agree blue eyes are linked with Sabino, in fact I am almost certain they are not. I am pretty sure they are not linked to LWO+ either, I am certain they go with Splash, as does the star and snip, which are absolutely typical of Splash.

I would say there is no doubt your mare carries Splash, but I would test her for LWO+ as well before breeding- is your stallion negative??

Latest posts

Back