Frame Overo and Splashed Owners Please share your photos :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my 2012 Curly Palomino Overo Colt. (Blue eyes included) His dam is a palomino overo as well.

MazdaCanter.jpg

Skipper2010.jpg.opt234x197o0,0s234x197.jpg

Sire of the above colt and Grandson of SkipAStar. Hes a tovero.

IMG_3678.JPG.opt283x212o0,0s283x212.JPG

Dam of the colt above. She is LWO Positive.

Our newest mare Im sure carries something Splash or Frame or both. Shell be tested for both along with just general body color. I think she might be a smokey black.

Patches3.jpg

Buckeye WCF Last Dance is splash and tobiano, with 2 blue eyes. Bred to SRF Buckshot for a 2013 foal.

P1050555.jpg

Our other mare with 2 blue eyes (Alamos Sirs Toffee Snow) is a tobiano that tested negative for splash.

Sponenberg, Equine Color Genetics:

"Many splashed white horses are deaf... Some breeders contend that the splashed white horses with white around the eyes are more likely to be deaf than those with color around the eyes..."

What is your experience in this conection?

Black Walnuts Sky Dancer

I haven't had her very long but she does have a large white spot on her other side. I think she is a splash/sabino

LUCY.jpg

Pura Vidas Half A Buck

It's hard to tell in this picture but her whole muzzel on this side is white with a blue eye. I'm sure that it is splash.

lilbit2.jpg

Pura Vidas Milagro

She is a Rowdy bred tovero pintaloosa and has some paint markings that look frame. She also has back lacing and half of her face is roaned. Very unusual but I would need to test her to find out if she is frame or splash.

milagro.jpg

Peach Valleys Johnny Come Lately

Tested negative for LWO and SB1, so must be Splash tovero.

JT2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Peach Valleys Johnny Come Lately

Tested negative for LWO and SB1, so must be Splash tovero.

JT2.jpg
Could he not "just" be tobiano? Do you think he must be splashed because oh his blue eyes?

I ask this because I have a pinto yearling with one "mixed" eye, brown with some blue in it. What do you think he could be? I think he is tobiano..?

DSC_3846.JPG

DSC_6681.JPG

Yes he is tobiano but blue eyes is an overo characteristic, so sense he was neg for 2 of the overo genes I'm concluding that he has splash. His last foal was a very obvious splash colt.

Splash has only recently become available for testing so he hasn't been tested yet.

look, I found this on http://www.vgl.ucdav...ces/tobiano.php

Tobiano... The eyes are usually brown, but one or both may be blue or partially blue...
that would mean it is not necessarily an overo to have blue eyes...?

and on the same website from the UC Davis http://www.vgl.ucdav...lashedwhite.php

...Splashed white is a variable white spotting pattern characterized primarily by extremely large blaze, extended white markings in legs, variable white spotting in belly, and often blue eyes...
Like my little Amigo, your horse has no white on his face, even not the muzzle... isn't it unusual for splashed white?

and like Sponenberg, they say:

Some, but not all, splashed white horses are also deaf.
maybe nobody has seen my question: what is your experience with splashed white and deafness? frequent or not... depending on more or less white on the face?

thanks in advance for your answers
default_smile.png

And as I note in post #45 above, horses with blue eyes can test negative for splash (and LWO). It is thought there is another splash gene that can cause blue eyes that isn't being tested for at this time. So your boy could test negative for the splash genes that are tested for at this time, like our mare Toffee did.

ETA: I think I read somewhere recently the percentage of splash white horses that are estimated to be deaf but can't remember the number. I think it is less than half. Our mare hears fine. Deafness is related to pigmentation in the inner ears I think, but not sure you can tell by looking at the outer ear.

Thank you, Targetsmom!!

deafness in dogs can be related to extremly white markings in piebald or merle and double-merle dogs. It's the same situation as you described: deafness related to the lack of pigmentation of the inner ear.

I have actually owned several splash horses in the past and like what targetsmom said, I only recently found out that some are deaf about the time the gene test was made available. I do believe that at least one was deaf but I didn’t know what else to look for at time. The one I suspect might have been deaf was a total white tovero with only one ear that was bay colored, which would support lack of pigmentation theory.

animal genetics http://www.horsetesting.com/splash.htm

Occasional congenital deafness is associated with white or white patterned, blue-eyed animals, including dogs and cats. It is important to note that most splashed white horses are not deaf. Hearing loss is due to the death of the necessary hair cells, caused by the absence of melanocytes in the inner ear. Although the majority of splash horses have pigment around the outside of the ear, the pigment must occur in the inner ear to prevent hearing loss.

I would think that one of the parents is a false-delcared minimal splashed. Probably the blue-eyed dam? Do you have pics of the parents?

anyway, this mating ended in a successfull result of a wonderfull-colored Penny! I would like to see her in her summer coat, if you have some photos..
default_yes.gif

Sugarplum005.jpg

SDC18613.jpg

Penny in the summer, she is only 2 and so she still does not shed out nice and sleek like the older horses do. It took her full sister 4 years to learn to shed out sleek.

Back