Fox news is no better than the lying trash tabloids...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...that is just...I have no words...I thought it was a parody show at first...
default_no.gif

We don't mock your military, nor do we disrespect the soldiers you have lost - sad that some Americans feel it is all right to mock us.

Many of you won't like this, but I did finally watch the video. None of it upset me and I found some of it pretty amusing. You should consider the context, as this is a commentary program and not part of a news broadcast. I have no problem with what was said. Not an opinion that's popular here, but it's my opinion none the less and I'm sure I'm not the only one in the USA that felt the way I did watching the clip...
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of you won't like this, but I did finally watch the video. None of it upset me and I found some of it pretty amusing. You should consider the context, as this is a commentary program and not part of a news broadcast. I have no problem with what was said. Not an opinion that's popular here, but it's my opinion none the less and I'm sure I'm not the only one in the USA that felt the way I did watching the clip...
yes.gif

Jill, let me ask you this ( in trying to see both sides, so this isnt meant to be snarky) If, this clip was of a Canadian broadcast and the roles reversed, would you have been offended? What if one of the lost soldiers was your son/daughter?

yes.gif

I'm shocked...and, actually, quite disappointed
default_no.gif

Some things are just not funny but then certain people on here constantly tell me I dont have a sense of humor. If you met me in person you would know thats not true
default_smile.png
If laughing at this is having a sense of humor well then Im glad I dont have one.

Not being snarky either but how can any of that be funny or amusing? Many Canadian soldiers lost their LIVES and someone at home is missing their loved one as I type this. My heart breaks for them having to see something so reprehensible.

I know to some this war is not real to them. For those of us with family members serving their country it is very real. I really think that we as a whole have gotten way too desensitized to this stuff. And way too much bad behavior is justified by calling it a joke. Doesnt excuse it.

I have to think if any people posting that do not find this offensive had family members serving weather it be a Canadian or a US citizen you would not find it funny or amusing.

yes.gif

I'm shocked...and, actually, quite disappointed
default_no.gif
I, too, am shocked Matt. I generally try and respect the opinion of every person on this board, regardless if I agree with that opinion. Unfortunately, in this case, that seems like a slap in the face to our Canadian soldiers. These soldiers are fighting because YOUR government requested their assistance, because we are YOUR country’s ally. I am quite disappointed that anyone on this board could feel that feel amused at the expense of the soldiers from a country who is fighting along side your own.

The clip is pretty tasteless, but I'm actually every bit as offended at the idea that anyone in media or allowed to speak on a news network could be ignorant about Canadian soldiers being involved in our war.
default_no.gif

I guess I never watch this program. I actually don't watch any news programs besides the local news. Is this suppose to be a comdey like the Colbert Report or Daily show?? I think the one guy on there was actually a comedian. Either way, you should never mock the men/women that serve a country to keep it safe. That's truely a sacrifice that very few people would make. I'll stick to my local news.

yes.gif
And we know you hold Fox network in the highest regard as well. We heard through the election and now as well.

And you will allow me to have my opinion that making fun of men and women who are presently dying in Afghanistan and who are there because our neighbour to the south asked for our help
default_no.gif
was arrogant and ignorant and I do not find any of this amusing. Your opinion though shouldn't surprise me in the least and it doesn't.

Be as shocked as you'd like to be. I'm not going to go with the flow and act like something appalls me when it didn't. You can pretty much count on me to give my opinion (popular or not) when others are giving theirs. Last I checked, I wasn't running for class office.

How would I feel if the same were said about the USA? I wouldn't be offended because what was said is too far and away removed from what is true or what is thought to be realistic about the USA to be offensive. Things don't really offend me unless I feel they either hit too close to home or that a number of people will think it is true. Honestly, the theme they touched on regarding Canada is one I've seen discussed in much the same way on many similar shows as well as in comedy programs. Note the theme hardly revolved around the plight of individual Canadian soldiers and part of what was otherwise said was funny to me.

If you cannot consider the source, a late night commentary program that often features the likes of comedian Jim Norton (who I also find funny... shocking? who cares...) and then be surprised that you were able to find some potentially offensive material was aired is like watching Jerry Springer and being alarmed that there are a bunch of rednecks on stage (my half hearted apologies to any forum member who has been a guest on the Jerry Springer Show).

Honestly, the theme they touched on regarding Canada is one I've seen discussed in much the same way on many similar shows as well as in comedy programs. Note the theme hardly revolved around the plight of individual Canadian soldiers and part of what was otherwise said was funny to me.
Jill - I have a quirky sense of humour. Even warped. I love satire. I appreciate well written snark. I find humour in things that many loathe. A lot of the things they said - like sneering at the Mounties - made me smile - mainly at how lame and predictable it was as are the usual Canadian jokes. At least they did not rehash the usual eh or oot and aboot routines... but sneering at miiltary when soldiers have DIED is beyond tasteless and has nothing to do with comedy. Nothing. And even my snarky sense of humour was left going... Errrrrrm... NO. Yeah - joke about the lack of Canadian nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers etc.
default_laugh.png
- but there is a line you should not cross. Even his apology... wasn't. Ignorance is no excuse.

You will have to explain how that was amusing - especially to the families of those Canadian soldiers who died while aiding their allies. And also why Fox has an actual so-called "comedy" show on a news network. I have watched Red Eye quite a few times as I am a night owl (and I make sure I get a feel for ALL news outlets) - what Greg says can even make me cringe at times. Greg has often stepped over the line in the past with his comments - and if I have occasionally felt that way with my admittedly warped sense of humour - he must be waaaay out of line.
default_wink.png
Most of the time he is simply lame - and trying too hard to be funny. At least The Daily Show and Colbert Report are on the Comedy station - they are not given a slot on a major news network that prides itself on the incessant fair and balanced slogan that they never let you forget.

Things don't really offend me unless I feel they either hit too close to home or that a number of people will think it is true.
Jill - many Americans do think what those so-called comedians said is true. It must be true - it is on Fox News!!

And if some think we are offended because it hit "too close to home" and Canadians really are a gormless lot living in a pathetic country with useless armed forces that deserves to be invaded and everything about them is laughable... whatever.

We are more than capable of laughing at ourselves and do... no one snarks on Canada better than Canadians!!
default_laugh.png
Some Canadian comedy/satire shows - like Kids in the Hall - did not make the crossover to American TV well as by the time CBS had everything that was deemed too offensive/touchy for American TV deleted, there was not much left. Heh. Canadians are more than capable of appreciating edgy humour.

But Greg stepped across that invisible line between satire and poor taste/bad judgement.

Soldiers dying is just not funny.

Be as shocked as you'd like to be. I'm not going to go with the flow and act like something appalls me when it didn't. You can pretty much count on me to give my opinion

Ummmm. Okay. I don't "go with the flow, either". I'm surprised and shocked at your response because I thought you were a more sensitive person than you are, apparently. That's all
default_smile.png

default_aktion033.gif
Tagalong. Thank you. Excellent post.

I am very similar to tagalong - I love satire and I am the first one to poke fun at ourselves - but this is not comedy and it is not funny.

Jill, something you should remember - while Americans mock us for things that are stereotype...we are constantly (such as now) being reminded at how ignorant many, many Americans are about their neighbours and the world. It is scenarios such as this...news...program that reiterates this fact to us.

As tagalong said, no one laughs at themselves better than us Canadians - but comedy is funny, mocking the military who is helping you is not comedy, nor is it funny and it is most certainly not funny that we have lost 116 of our brave soldiers.

Sorry...I have to ask this. Are you bored, Jill, and are just trying to create a conflict? Seriously. It just seems wierd to me that someone wouldn't see why we'd be po'd by that. Boggles my mind actually...

Hey, Matt --

No, I'm not bored. Really busy actually with some out of the usual business dealings in addition to my normal "stuff".

Sincerely, parts of it were funny to me. Parts of it weren't, but honestly, I myself was not offended by any of it. I'm sorry if admitting that opinion of mine bothered some people. I would imagine I'm not the only individual who saw it and also found some humor in it and I'm probably not the only non-Canadian who isn't offended by it.

Of course I am as sensitive (or not, whatever people want to think) as always. Some things bother me, some things don't. This clip just didn't bother me and I am willing to "admit" it didn't and that some of it made me laugh.

Never did I say I didn't see why YOU would be offended, or that other Canadians would be, but just that I personally am not. It's just not a shared cause between us (snipes at Canadians), while I'm sure many other things are closer to both our hearts.

Jill

PS For whatever it is worth, I actually just now listened a second time to see if I really missed something the first time. No reference to the deaths of Canadian soldiers. I have the same perspective I did the first time I listened and the "last word" still made me laugh.

I already said that I thought most of it was just lame, predictable and nothing more. There were no direct references to Canadian soldiers dying, Jill - but the sneering at the military and its capability was inappropriate and ignorant/arrogant... especially on a day when 4 soldiers were killed in Afghanistan fighting that war on terrorism... did you know that when US troops were pulled from Afghanistan to invade Iraq that Canadian forces filled in the gaps they left behind?

Anyway, this is how that feels to Canadians fighting that war and their loved ones... all condoned by a major US network....

2199y88.jpg

Never did I say I didn't see why YOU would be offended, or that other Canadians would be, but just that I personally am not.
That speaks volumes and truly saddens me.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in the USA that felt the way I did watching the clip...
I agree, probably many many more feel as you do and that is why my opinion of Fox is in the toilet and my respect for the U.S.A. has dropped considerably. Anyone who can laugh and make fun of people who are presently in harms way saying they need a break because they want manicures and pedicures and want to run on the beach, etc. etc. Perhpas they need a break because their emotions are raw on losing so many of their commarades in arm. Your attitude shows me and why other countries dislike the mentality of some in the U.S. and that is where arrogance and ignorance comes in which truly are not pretty personal attributes to have no matter where you live.

I want to thank all of you from the U.S. who understand how destructive the comments made by these imbeciles were. I was never a fan of Jerry Springer's show, trash t.v. but Fox is basically scrapping the bottom of the barrel but then why am I surprised, they were like this before this happened and this kind of news or commentary show appeals to certain types of people.

I didn't see the clip--I don't get Fox and my computer doesn't like to run videos--but I read about it & that was enough. Totally poor taste. I refuse to call that clip "news", because it isn't news....it's simply 4 guys talking stupid about things they obviously don't know anything about...

One of the "panelists" is a comedian, and according to the CTV website a day or two ago, that comedian was supposed to perform in Canada soon (Edmonton I think, but I could have the wrong city). His performance has been cancelled since that program aired on Fox. Why? Because the theatre where he was to perform received threats. Canadians obviously don't want him here.

Anyone who thinks this was funny....on the weekend when 4 of our soldiers died in Afghanistan...did you see the CTV news program that gave a tribute to those 4 soldiers? The most touching of the 4 was the young father who was soon to be coming home to his wife and baby....a baby he got to know only because his wife was induced so that he could see his baby before he went overseas. It was very, very sad. And yeah, I imagine his wife--and the families of all 4--were really gladdened and amused by Fox if they happened to see that show. NOT.

I remember watching Smokey & the Bandit 2 and laughing when they did the stereotypical Mountie scene, with the row of Mounties, in full formal dress, on horseback, charging down the hillside, and the Bandit suggests they should go back to Canada and sit in the snow. That was a scene that made fun of Canada but without malice and I suspect most Canadians could laugh at it. This Fox farce is in an entirely different league. Tell me again what exactly was funny about it?

That was and is truly disgusting. I don't watch any of the big news channels I only watch my local new station and CNBC for the stock market. I think they need to rethink their approach and their reporter lineup at this point. I do not and will believe this is the proper way to treat our neighbors and allies. As I have learned thru research I am more than likely related to many of our neighbors up north.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back