Foundered Again...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krickette

Reaction score
sad.gif
OK, so yesterday I went out to feed, and Splash, my 5 year old mini was later coming in than usual. This was the first time I'd fed all week. (I'd gotten my dad to do it while I studied) He thinks that she needs as much feed as I give the big horses...wrong, but whatever. Well, when she finally hobbled up, she was shaking her head like she was angry. She was not wanting to move. I felt her feet, and the front 2 are hot around the cornet band, and the hooves are spreading out weird. I'm scared...It's not as bad as another time when she hopped around for a long time. I don't know what to do...
no.gif
We can deal with it for now, but I don't want it to happen again. Can any1 help me figure out how to prevent it?

Seems like you already answered your own question. Just make sure she only gets the right amount of feed and of the right type.

You may want to have her tested for Insulin Resistance. It's a very easy test, and if she is IR, her laminitis can be easily controlled by diet. The below site is founded by Katy Watts, who did wonders for my horse:

Laminitis And Diet - Safer Grass.org

Also, please join the Yahoo Founder group - they are a wonderful group of people that can really help you out here.

Yahoo - Equine Founder Group

Best wishes,

Liz R.

First, give your dad 30 lashes with a wet noodle. His kindness could kill her.

I have one mare that will never ever see green grass again for the rest of her life. She will never see alfalfa, and she will never see grain. I love this mare and the foals she gives me but she got into some moldy hay (long story and totally my fault) and she darn near died from the resulting founder. The slightest bit of grass or alfalfa sets her off again.

Like mentioned earlier, you should have your horse tested.

Get her off that overload of feed NOW. Grass hay. NO ALFALFA. NO GRAIN. Plenty of water. Stand her in COLD COLD water to draw the heat out of her feet. Bute helps but must be administered with GREAT care and should be given in conjunction with GastroGuard of something else to help prevent stomach ulcers. Get a farrier out there now who knows how to treat founder. She is in pain and there are ways to trim the feet to help alleviate the pressure on her sore feet. If severely foundered she may have some rotation of the coffin bone, and that is extremely difficult to deal with.

So talk to some professionals ASAP!! And keep you dad away from the grain!

I agree as it sounds like she has already foundered, if walls are separating and lots of heat. Yes get those feet cooled off ASAP

And call a good farrier for sure or a vet that specializes in feet foot problems, Farrier would be the first choice IMO.

Jean_B said:
First, give your dad 30 lashes with a wet noodle.  His kindness could kill her.
I have one mare that will never ever see green grass again for the rest of her life.  She will never see alfalfa, and she will never see grain.  I love this mare and the foals she gives me but she got into some moldy hay (long story and totally my fault) and she darn near died from the resulting founder.  The slightest bit of grass or alfalfa sets her off again.

Like mentioned earlier, you should have your horse tested.

Get her off that overload of feed NOW.  Grass hay.  NO ALFALFA.  NO GRAIN.  Plenty of water.  Stand her in COLD COLD water to draw the heat out of her feet.  Bute helps  but must be administered with GREAT care and should be given in conjunction with GastroGuard of something else to help prevent stomach ulcers.  Get a farrier out there now who knows how to treat founder.  She is in pain and there are ways to trim the feet to help alleviate the pressure on her sore feet.  If severely foundered she may have some rotation of the coffin bone, and that is extremely difficult to deal with. 

So talk to some professionals ASAP!!  And keep you dad away from the grain!

523150[/snapback]

If you can catch it early you can soak her feet in ice water 3x a day for the next 48 hours for 5 or 10 minutes, each time to cool them down.This can stop continual damage if caught early enough.. Get her on soft, deep, bedding in an enclosed area, to restrict her movement, also to encourage her to lay down.. What you do now can help her if caught early enough.. Grass hay only when you feed her. (burmuda) see if you can get some pain meds for her.

When one of my big horses showed signs that he was going to founder (their new hay was far richer than they were used to) I immediately called the vet and he came right out and gave him Bute and Isoxoprene. He had me give the gelding meds for about a week, and the gelding bounced right back.

I don't know if this would work for your horse, since she has already foundered before, and you don't know how long she has been bad right now, but it sure wouldn't hurt to call a vet out and do whatever possible to get her feeling better.

Good luck, I hope she'll be ok!

Thank y'all. I went out and soaked her feet (and got soaked in the process). I've got her in a stall right now, so that she doesn't get into anything untill my mom can come see about her. She has been on free choice hay (coastal bermuda I think) Out in a pasture. That's all she's gotten really, except of course for my dad's food >.< I'll just have to let him see this post. He doesn't believe me when I say she doesn't need food. I'll post a pic later of her feet and her fatness...This really couldn't have come at a worse time...our farrier is having surgery, our dog is having puppies, our family is coming into town, and I just got my cart and I want to drive her, but now I cant... That's how it goes, though.

[SIZE=14pt]I know that sometime's this sounds tuff to do, but what would help your mare more than anything right now is to put her in a dry lot and give only good grass hay for a couple weeks and let her system expell some of the protien built up! Then feed her very small portians of grain for a couple of months! You will see a big improvement in her![/SIZE]

Bill

I agree with the grass hay part, on the previous post ,but if she is foundering again, she needs to be on "deep soft bedding" to ease her discomfort.. Also the meds will help her relax, so she will be more inclined to lay down. The less she is on her feet, the better right now.

we are still building on our barn, but the stalls are finished. I have her in one of those, but I hate to feed her in it because I'm afraid of sand colic. The ground is deep fine dusty dirt. It's very annoying. What kind of bedding would y'all suggest? Or should I just leave it like it is?

[SIZE=14pt]Margaret,[/SIZE]

I agree with you 100%, I didn't realize this was her second founder!
ohmy.gif
sad.gif

Bill

[SIZE=14pt]Please go get her some pine bedding! And you can put her hay in a box or basket so she doesn't injest any sand or dirt![/SIZE]

Bill

You should call the vet and see what he can do to help her stablize. This is a very serious condition and she should be seen asap and be treated as an emergency.

Pine shavings are wonderful if you can find them you will need about 3 or 4 large bags.. Anything soft , and horse safe otherwise. Hay feeders are great, otherwise a big barrel if not. The shavings should keep any fallen hay at the surface.. Hopefully she will show improvement in a few days.. Can you keep us posted?

Of course I'll keep you posted. Thank you all so much for your help. I'll try and get some pics to see her progress. I just can't thank you enough. She's out there screaming right now. The other horses are standing near her stall, though, to keep her company.

Hosscrazy said:
You may want to have her tested for Insulin Resistance. It's a very easy test, and if she is IR, her laminitis can be easily controlled by diet. The below site is founded by Katy Watts, who did wonders for my horse:
Laminitis And Diet - Safer Grass.org

Also, please join the Yahoo Founder group - they are a wonderful group of people that can really help you out here.

Yahoo - Equine Founder Group

Best wishes,

Liz R.

523143[/snapback]

Please take Liz's advice and go to the web sites she has suggested. You will find excellent advice on these sites regarding foundered horses and how to help them out. I would also call the vet out as soon as possible. Best wishes!

have you given her anything for pain?? founder is VERY painful and she really needs something. our rescue mare foundered and i kept her in a stall piled HIGH with pine shavings for 4 days and nothing but grass hay to eat. Also gave her painkillers daily per my vets instructions. since this is her second founder she will be even more suspectible to founder now. our rescue mare had to be kept on a drylot 24/7 and could never go in the pasture again. please contact your vet and do as she/he says

also i doubt that you will be able to drive this mare in the future but it really depends on how much rotation there is. Sending good wishes

Kay

Latest posts

Back