Founder

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquestraDreams

Reaction score
I have no experience dealing with founder, but I'm looking at purchasing a small riding pony who foundered in the front about 4 years ago. He is now 14 years old and moves sound, but is quite obese. Do you think it would be an issue if the pony was lightly ridden (walk/trot) by a 5-7 years olds a couple times a week? Is he more likely to founder again? Any experience with foundered horses would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am strongly encouraging you to have a vet check, especially radiographs all 4 hooves. Founder, depending on its severity, can cause you and the horse a lot of pain physically and in the pocket book.

I agree have a vet take a look and see if the pony would be sound enough for what you want. Founder can be mild to very severe.

I have a young mini mare that foundered on me last winter, I thought I was going to lose her. It's been 10 months now and she is almost back to normal (she'll never be completely normal, but she is doing excellent). I really have to watch her diet; she's on a restricted lo-carb diet. She gets a ration balancer and grass hay (she can't have alfalfa, it doesn't agree with her and I can't get beet pulp); no grain (especially corn for her, I think that's what set her off, corn in her beet pulp, which is why I don't buy from the local feed mill anymore), no spring grass (or anytime the sugars are high), and I really have to watch her weight and keep it down. I think she has come far in her recovery and may even be able to be trained to drive.

Nope. Sorry. I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.

Founder is serious. Founder is tricky. Founder is complicated. And yes, it can very much re-occur and obesity adds to the problem. Founder is an on-going worry and concern even if the pony is well stablized presently, that is still buying trouble. I would move on quickly.

I would probably say that it sounds like that could be a possibility WHY it foundered in the first place! Or there may be other health issues. If you think it would be a great pony, DO NOT purchase anything without a thorough vet check with all the above mentioned!!! Yes it can be costly to say the least and even devastating- if you have other options I would go elsewhere as this will be a constant management issue.

There can also be complications getting the excess weight off the horse that can cause other issues and possible death. Dont touch without a vet.
default_sad.png

We have a foundered mare that is doing great right now, but it has taken 2 years to get her where she is. One of her problems was us really, we did not know she had foundered before, seller didn't mention, and we had her out on spring grass, plus a rich food. After we found out, we had a blood test run, and she was low on her thyroid. After putting her on a drylot, mostly a hay diet (she gets 1 kitchen cup of plain oats while every one else is eating so she doesn't feel left out) and we put her on Thyroid L. I am not saying you should give anything but the above mentioned advice about a vet check would be the way to go if you are serously considering this horse. With a foundered horse you are looking at a horse that will require constant daily attention, and more costs in vet bills at times. Personally I would not knowingly buy a foundered horse, but I am not selling one because of it either :bgrin I had no idea what I was getting into, just listen and know up front what you will be getting so you can step up to the plate without regrets when needed for this horse if you should buy it.

It would depend on the severity of the founder for me. I had a 17 hh Saddlebred gelding who had foundered twice before I bought him. Previous owner told me about it. First time it was a mild founder, she later sold him to a couple and told him that he had foundered and gave them explicit directions on his care. They didn't listen and he foundered again. They decided they could not take care of him, so Diane brought him home. When I saw him I feel in love with him and wanted him. Diane told me his history and told me how he needed to be cared for, which I did for several years.

Here is Ottawa's Wing aka Woody, a grandson of Wing Commander.

woody.jpg

woody2.jpg

woody9.jpg

Yes that is me riding him. I rode him both saddle seat and dressage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the others to talk take him to a vet.

As to why he foundered, that would make a difference to me. Did he founder because they have overfed him, which would also explain his weight? Or did he founder because he has metabolic issues which would be another explanation for his weight if they aren't overfeeding him? Did he get into some feed?

I would move on.

Why buy one that has foundered when there so MANY good horses to choose from out there?

Founder is something that never really goes away.

One of my horses had acute laminitis, which resulted in founder (no, they are not the same thing) - the first thing you need to do is have the horse vet checked, and find out why the horse foundered. Ask him/her to run blood tests, check for Insulin Resistance, etc.

Good luck,

Liz R.

Having recently for the first ime in my life gone thru the experience of founder and the loss of that horse who was my heart and soul....pass...trust me.

I would move on. Why buy one that has foundered when there so MANY good horses to choose from out there?

Founder is something that never really goes away.
It really depends on why she is buying the horse. Different people are looking for different things to get out of a horse. Look at the people that collect dwarfs, some people have love and nurturing to give and the time and effort (willing to try on the money) and it is worth it for them. Like I said I would not knowingly purchase a foundered horse again, but I have two on the place and they are not for sale now.
default_wink.png
:

Personally I would pass on this horse. IMHO, I would NEVER knowingly purchase a horse that has foundered! I know that at the moment I have one mare in our barn that looks like she has foundered previously (per the farrier) and had I known that she looked like she foundered, I wouldn't have purchased her. As far as I know the person we purchased her from didn't know she had foundered. But we're VERY careful what she is fed now! She's with us for life not only because I like her but I don't want her to go to a new home and end up foundered again.

IMHO, Pass on this one!

Thank you everyone for your comments! We did decide to pass on this pony as we didn't feel we wanted to worry about him foundering again or becoming lame in the near future. Your input was appreciated!

Latest posts

Back