Found our minis out today!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerranger

Reaction score
The Exact Center of CA, 3,158 mi from the north p
tonight when I got home [ at around midnight] I found our girls out grasing on our front lawn. so I went and got the grain bucket and a carrot. its amaising how fast they come in for grain.the one who I thought would be a pill was the easiest to catch. so all are again safely in there drylot and tomorow morning I get to find where they got out of the pasture. [ I couldnt find it in the dark.] DR.

Thank God they didn't wander too far from home! Congratulations!

When they are out -- a grain bucket RULES !
default_biggrin.png

Wow, I am glad that were able to bring them in so easily and that all were accounted for and ok.

I have always YELLED "DINNER" every time I feed, even if it is the morning. I yell dinner a few times too while I am feeding. It came in handy two years ago when they got through a fence and were trooting down the street. I yelled DINNER and they came running. I was lucky too.

Robin

Thank goodness they didn't wander!!

Steve came home late from work several weeks ago and was coming around a corner about 1/2 mile from our place and said to himself, "Wow, those are big deer...those aren't deer!" *I* had left a gate unlatched, meaning to go back in to hay the weanlings and ended up taking it around the rear of their paddock...and forgot the gate! They went down our 1000' driveway and another almost 1/2 mile! Cowboy Steve "herded" them home in his car~LOL Once they hit the church at the end of our drive, he could see that they were OURS (our neighbors have minis too) and kept them coming this way.

Then a few weeks later 3 yearlings (now 2 year olds) decided they could get under one of our back fences (they had to go down rock BLUFFS to get to that fence!) and went walkabout TWICE in two days to the same yard @@ The kids and I had to bring them home with the 4 wheeler in 24 degree weather the 2nd day. They rode out with me, but the kids rode home with a neighbor, following the horses and I on the 4 wheeler, in case someone decided ponying off of the 4 wheeler was not for them! They are now in permanent paddock time out!

So glad they are all home, safe and sound! I too have had horses get out...once it was all my mares! I too always let out a loud whistle followed by calling out "Come on girls!" when I feed their grain, and they always come running, so that definately helps to train them well for their escapes!
default_wink.png

One of our girls is sheading heavily, and has found out that she can short out the hot wire without getting nailed and then crawl under the fence. I had gone all around looking for downed fence and found none. so I turned them out again only to see her first rub on the hotwire till it was tangled in the steel wires then step over the bottom wire and under the second. I guess the shedded hair is insulating her from the hotwire. I went over and grabbed the wire to see if it was working and it was!!! I guess there in the drylot till she has shead out. DR.

Latest posts

Back