Forelock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Indian Acres

Reaction score
Clipping out some of our horses that we plan to show this year. The forelock kills me. I like it all fluffy.
default_smile.png
But really I was wondering if anyone has an easy way to describe how much they suggest leaving and any rule of thumbs for what part should be left.

Also if anyone has a rule of thumb on how they make the bridle paths. I like mine shorter, but seem to end up with longer ones than I intend.
default_sad.png

This year we will mostly be doing local shows and other stuff. It has been ten years since I did much horse showing and I only made it to a couple of shows last year for jumping.

The rule of thumb for bridlepaths is to bend the ear back along the neck and clip 1 inch past that. It is a good starting point. Then comb the mane down nicely and step back and take a look. If you are pleased with the appearance of the horses neck stop there. If not clip a bit more until you like where it is. The length of bridle path can affect how long or short, thick or thin, the neck appears.

For the forelock clip forward and kind of lift off as you go over the poll. Take a comb and make a part on either side, keeping the center portion down the face and tucking the sides out behind the ears, until you have an attractive amount width wise that will lay nicely. Clip off the parts you combed aside by holding your hand up against the part you are keeping so that any wayward moves on the horse's part don't leave you with NO forelock. If it is still too thick clip up under the front portion to remove a bit more, again keeping your hand over the part you want to keep.

Last edited by a moderator:
lori that is a great way to do it!

I was told that you shouldnt see the mane hanging under the neck when yousr standing on the oppisite side of where the mane lays?? i like your way better!

A little advice on the forelock. Always leave a little more than you want. Why? Because it seems as the show season goes on ours tend to thin out considerably from baths, brushing and clipping. I had one gelding that started out with quite a bit. By the end of the season there wasn't much left. Also this allows for hopefully minor mistakes when clipping.

I recently wrote some informative articles and they are on the INformation page of the lilbeginnings website. One of them is on show clipping the head, and clipping the forelock and mane is in there. You want to clip it far enough back that you can really see the throatlatch well, but not too far. So it is correct to just take it back a little at a time until you get the results you want. But check out the article as it explains length of neck too compared to length of the bridle path.

There is also a razoring article and diagrams for both the clipping article and the razoring article on there to make it easier for you to see. It will really help to sculpt and contour your horses face prettier whether you razor or not. These are also on my website too. Thanks, Laura Tennill

Latest posts

Back