For those with National titled horses...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
This is for those with horses that have HOF'd and/or have National titles (especially halter)...Do you continue to show them at the National level and hope they continue to place at the same level they have in the past...or does that matter to you? What if one year they win a National Championship, but the next they don't even Top Ten? Do you just show them anyway "just for fun" no matter how they place?

Just curious about your own personal horses...
default_smile.png

Once Sunny got his HOF in halter, I stopped showing him in it. I may try the new draft classes, they look like fun.

He was Reserve Grand in WCP on year, I did keep showing him in that class, trying for the win. Haven't made it, though... maybe someday... *shrugs*... maybe not, as I'm not showing much this year at all and trying CDEs and playdays. MUCH more relaxed!

I dont have one...

but if I did, heck yeah I would!

Excpecially if the horse loves to show.

With our AMHR gelding, Oneka's Liberachi (3x National Champion in Roadster, over) we have continued to show him in that class, but our focus has been in other classes for him (versatility, jumper/hunter, obstacle) ect. He's a talented gelding and still does very well in that class (well depending on if Bob shows up with Zeb, but we sneak in a win every now and then over him, (just teasing you Bob, we LOVE Zeb, and love the extremely high level of competition that we have here in the northern midwest states). Libby loves to show, it would be a shame to leave him home over pride.

Our 3x Congress Champion (hunter) we also continue to show as he has so much to learn still and we are still working on his HOF in that class since the pony numbers are typically low so it's hard to get points.

Not really, unless I didn't have anyone else to show and the horse enjoys it. I rather work with the horse on something else. My HOF WCPD and National Champion and multi Top 10 winner who got his HOF in that class last year I have no plans on showing him in it again as I have another horse who will compete in the same division but I'm continuing to show him to get his HOF in obstacle, hopefully he will get it this year and he also is making his debut in chariot. Something fun and more relaxing.

My HOF obstacle horse took a few years off after he got his HOF and came back to show him last year and this year again and he did take top 10 in obstacle driving at Nationals last year but without actually showing him in obstacle locally he could have been better but he did great considering. Its just I have 2 other under geldings showing in the obstacle clss.

For a halter horse would be harder for me I would defiantlly would like to continue to show that horse in halter to get that horse's HOF but I would probaby continue to show that horse at Nationals unless he won like National Grand Champion then I would say no. You just don't see that many make back to back wins.

If the horse has a HOF in a class I usually stop showing them in that class (always exceptions). However, I have one that got a National Championship one year and I continue to show him in that class. Since it was the Western Pleasure and the judges have changed what they look for from year to year, I keep working and hoping we can do it again.

The Exceptions to showing a HOF horse is that I will let others show them in the class. For instance, my granddaughter is having lots of fun showing my mare that is HOF in obstacle and it gives the girl lots of confidence (since the mare does most of the "work" --
default_whistling.gif
).

I don't have a national titles horse, but here is what I have heard trainers say on the subject:

If a horse is named world champion halter, don't show it halter again. It would only hurt their credibility as a breeding stallion/broodmare if it gets beat. The idea being to sell the foals as "out of" or "By" World champion ... ... ... If you want to keep showing that horse, show in driving etc. the only exception to this would be if it won its world title as a weanling or yearling.

If it is a gelding, have at it.

Personally, for me, it takes a lot more than a title to make the horse desireable for me as a potential sire or broodmare. I weigh a lot more factors. I personally would like to see a horse with great conformation and a great temperment who places consistantly time and time again than the one horse who won one title. That title was given to that horse by a VERY SMALL group of judges (5 at AMHA Worlds) A title is given to an animal by a group of judges that were paid for THEIR OPINION. That dosent mean that I don't like those horses, its just a small factor in my choice of horse.
default_smile.png

I put my World Grand Champion senior stallion back in the ring - in Driving!! Would not show him halter again, but he's loads of fun to drive. I also have a National champion that I now show in driving. To answer your question - no, I personally would not show in halter if they've won a World/National title, but there are so many other classes to choose from.

I agree with ruffian, find another skill for them. I have one stallion that is a World and National Champion in halter, he is not showing anymore. I also have my National Reserve Grand Champion Stallion and while he might show amateur halter again, he won't show in open. But we do hope to start him in performance next year. Just depends on how the money front is, but either way he will always be a National Reserve Grand Champion, National Champion Jr and Res National Champion ammy. You can never take those away.

Now for the exception, if the horse is a gelding, show him, thats what his job is, plus I think you can now get double HOF's on horses in AMHR so go for it.

Latest posts

Back