For those that drive on pavement.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbrooke Farm

Reaction score
If you drive regularly on paved roads, do you have your horse shod, or are any of you using easy boots? I noticed when driving on the road (my husband was driving while I was watching) it seems like my horse's front legs slide about 1/2" when they hit the pavement at a trot. This has me concerned about what might happen in the event of a spook. I have been looking at glue on rubber type shoes. I feel like they would give more traction than a conventional steel shoe, plus as a farrier, I would much rather put on the glue type rather than nail a shoe on. Can any of you tell me if you have had the same experience or concerns?

Thanks!

rolleyes.gif

Nailing shoes on mini feet is a pain at best. The feet are so small it's like doing

theraputic work on foals. Glue ons are better, but for me barefoot is best of all.

I just let my horse's feet stay a little longer and it works for me! There is a new

type like a glue on rim, [won some at the last farrier clinic I attended]. Don't

know as it would be better as my guys are the last ones done. Linda B
wub.gif

I have to say I honestly cringe when I see people trotting down the pavement I know those that drive there horses on the weekends or a couple times amonth a 2-3 mile drive most of it trotting on the street

I just cant get past the fact (perhaps it is the big horse person in me) that it is so hard on there legs

So for me.. my horses wouldnt trot on pavement JMO not flaming anyone who does it different.

Well Lisa sometimes people dont have other options.

I do drive on pavement. I dont over do it with my boy thou. I have to place else to drive him but there.

I do as Fred says. I leave his feet a bit longer in the summer months when I am driving him.

I drive on pavement as well.

We go down our drive, threw a firm packed dirt trail, to my grandparents drive up their drive way and then back the way we came. Its only a 15-20 minute drive depending on how much walking or how much trotting you do.

My horses dont wear shoes but I definatly cool it a little on the trotting, we walk most of the time.

I used to use rubber pads on my trail horses' hooves so the dirt/rocks could not get compacted up in the hoof. It covered the whole bottom of the hoof and it fit around the outside and we glued them on. I believe I got them from Valley Vet Supply, but I'm not sure if there were mini sizes. They were made to be shock absorbent pads so they should work well on pavement. Hope I could help you out some.
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said:
I have to say I honestly cringe when I see people trotting down the pavement I know those that drive there horses on the weekends or a couple times amonth a 2-3 mile drive most of it trotting on the streetI just cant get past the fact (perhaps it is the big horse person in me) that it is so hard on there legs

So for me.. my horses wouldnt trot on pavement JMO not flaming anyone who does it different.

503234[/snapback]

I hear you, Lisa!! I feel the same way. The only time I trot my horses on pavement is during a parade if we need to catch up to the big horses or vehicles in front of us. I always worry about the concussion. I now live on a paved road, and I have taken Bob for a drive down it, but we walked the whole way.

I would think that leaving the hooves long wouldn't lessen the concussion, just protect the horses' hooves.

i think anyone from a big horse background is going to be totally opposed to driving on any hard surface. It is way to hard on their legs.

Rai

I don't think anyone with horse experience is going to advocate LOTS of fast work on an unyielding surface, but...there is some thinking among driving people that one can build a horse up to a higher level of strength/stress/injury resistance by progressively 'challenging' the muscles/ligaments/tendons of their suspensory system by a careful program of progressive work on such hard surfaces. The 'trick' would be in the structure of such a program. However, just good common sense would be your greatest ally-start slow and short, and build up, gradually AND regularly.

For those who have NOWHERE ELSE to drive but on pavement, some ideas--more walking than trotting, REGULAR sessions(as opposed to just 'now and then'-NO true conditioning program is going to really work unless it is REGULAR and ONGOING!--and, the horse that is conditioned is going to be a less likely candidate for damage from concussive injury),and VERY GRADUALLY working up to longer sessions, with a bit more trotting. I bought a full set(4)of Easyboots(please note that on their website, there is no such listing as a "Mini" Easyboot, but the "Pony" can and does work, at least for some minis! )They fit my 38" mare exactly, but I have another set of two of the older design which I have used successfully with my smaller minis. Something I have NOT tried yet, but plan to...to cut an old mouse pad into pads to fit into the bottom of the Easyboots, for a cushioning effect(and if it doesn't work-as in, the Easyboots then won't stay on--well, then I'm not 'out' anything but my time.) The Easyboots alone will offer a little, but not much, 'cushioning' effect, by themselves. so should not be 'counted' on much in that respect; they will, however protect the hoof from undue wear. Actually, any horse that is going to go barefoot should be left with a bit more hoof-but, one also runs the risk of having the hoof wall chip off if too much extra is left-and as said, the extra hoof wall length does not in any way 'cushion' against concussive impact.

Honestly, I think the 'hardest', and at the same time, the 'easiest', way would be the ONGOING REGULARITY of driving the horse on a hard surface-in the 'working-up-to-slowly-and-steadily'method, as many people won't have, or won't take, the TIME, with REGULARITY, it takes to best fit the horse to be physically 'up to' doing so.

(There is a company in AZ that makes a 'semi-custom' and a 'custom' horse boot, in ALL sizes, and which they say can even be 're-soled'(and if memory serves, might allow for a cushioned insert,) while staying on. Such a thing might be the 'best' answer for someone who HAS TO drive on pavement, yet can't really pursue a complete conditioning program, to help prevent possible injury to their horse. They are fairly, though not horrendously, expensive-but, probably less so than extensive veterinary treatment,should a horse be injured by concussive impact...food for thought.)

Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis said:
I have to say I honestly cringe when I see people trotting down the pavement I know those that drive there horses on the weekends or a couple times amonth a 2-3 mile drive most of it trotting on the streetI just cant get past the fact (perhaps it is the big horse person in me) that it is so hard on there legs

503234[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

I am also one that will NOT trot my horses on pavement. It is waaaay too hard on their legs, and it jeopardizes their long term soundness. In my opinion, if you must travel on pavement, it's better to walk.

In the area where I live paved roads are about the only option for driving. For the horses I always leave the "drive on pavement" horses hooves a little longer and watch out for chips.

Slipping on the pavement is always a concern. Horses who have never traveled on a paved road before need a lot of slow work. They need the time to LEARN how to pull on the pavement.

Some of the things they have to learn are how to do smooth transitions (bumpy footwork can lead to sliding), they need to learn that "trot" has many speeds from the slower-than-a-walk-trot to a free moving trot, and they need to know that whoa means whoa! For those that don't know (or I don't trust ) I use a saftey walker.

Part of the reason that those of us from large horse backgrounds prefer not to work on pavement has a lot to do with the fact that large horses are *ridden*. When you add the extra weight of the rider to the weight of the horse impacting the pavement through the two front hooves - yes... you have a very real possibility for injury.

Thankfully, our horses do not have nearly the body mass (or our body wieght =) to contend with.

I know it is common practice in the mini world to jump horses in training very frequently, but my holdover from the big horse world is my old riding coach. I just *KNOW* if she ever heard of me jumping any horse more than twice a week she would track me down and have me cleaning her barn for a month !

Regards,

Colleen

Let me clarify this folks! I am NOT an advocate of lots of roadwork. A little trotting every now and then for short distances will not cause any problems.

I was mainly concerned with traction, and in the event of a spook episode. I was merely thinking that rubber glue on shoes would provide better traction.

biggrin.gif

The carriage horses you see are shod with either borium or rubber shoes. I know

because we used to do them. Depending on regulations it MUST be either borium

or rubber shoes. Borium gives better traction but rubber shoes lessen the

concussion. As for big horses on pavement I used to have to ride on pavement

to get to any trails as long as you use common sense it will not hurt the horse.

Manhole covers are a far more serious threat to a horse than trotting on pavement

because they are slicker than grease. Linda B
wink.gif

Well I guess you may get lots of opinions on this, so here's mine:

Trotting on hard surfaces (pavement) isn't very good on a horse's joints. It isn't very good for humans, who have running shoes. My boyfriend used to be very into sports like swimming and track... he said it is best to run on a rubber track or a treadmill along with good running shoes, and that running on pavement (streets or sidewalks) is very hard on his legs and he often gets shin splints when he does so for a period of time. So if it's bad for US... why would we do it to our horses who have no say in the matter???

A horse doesn't have the option of wearing running shoes. The place I work (you can guess) works horses on pavement, and have undergone extensive research and trials about it. What was found best is to just limit our horses' work to ONLY a walk (and drivers are expressly told NOT to let a horse trot even a stride or two) and for a VERY limited period of time.

Rubber shoes did not hold the test of time... the increased depth of the shoe did not allow for proper sole and frog contact with the ground, resulting in poor hoof blood circulation and thus weaking the walls. There was increased incidences of the rubber shoes getting ripped off and taking hoof wall with them.

The more natural shoeing and balance you can do for a horse the better.

The PAVEMENT is the evil...

I personally live in a paved area that is maybe half a mile to the dirt bridle path. My horses only walk on the pavement. It isn't that they shouldn't EVER be driven on pavement I believe, but it should be as minimal as possible and always at a walk, to be fair to your horses' health and longevity and soundness.

Just my opinion!!!!

Andrea

smile.gif

Check out Hoofcare and Lameness. You do not have to have ground contact with

the frog for proper hoof circulation. It is a loading issue. Linda B

i had my horse shod with tiny shoes his hooves were only 2 inches ,because i was walking him to the park everyday i thought it would wear his feet down too much not to have shoes but since then hes on grass and i got boned about it evrywere i went, i use a product callled keratecs which strengthens the wall of the hoof and is used for unshod horses, i found it to be very good it did wonders for my boy. and as you say some people have no choice.
smile.gif

I dont drive much anymore because its just to cold. But in the summer i drive coco on the road maybe once a week. I take him down my driveway, onto our road (we live in the backcountry, we get 1 car a year!!! and coco has expirenced being passed by a car with me walking beside him so i have trust in him) and we go down to the stop sign (about 1,000 feet) and then back on a dirt road which eventually leads into this trail but i dont use it, we then take the rest of the pavement back to the house and drive around the front yard and house. Usually we just drive around the house and dont even go on pavement but if im in the mood or the ground is to soft we do.

I have not seen much damage, none at all really but i take really good care of the hooves and he doesnt work to hard.

Leeana

hiddenjewelsfarm said:
I used to use rubber pads on my trail horses' hooves so the dirt/rocks could not get compacted up in the hoof. It covered the whole bottom of the hoof and it fit around the outside and we glued them on. I believe I got them from Valley Vet Supply, but I'm not sure if there were mini sizes. They were made to be shock absorbent pads so they should work well on pavement. Hope I could help you out some.
laugh.gif

503309[/snapback]

Just from my own days of running (back in the Middle Ages) - despite pads and accessories, I ALWAYS developed shin splints (painful!).

Don't know if horses can get them...can they?

Linda ("Fred") is our farrier and I would follow her advice in a heartbeat...she has been WONDERFUL with our little herd and all my horses love her (even Finisterre, who likes to see what she can get away with before we scold her for being naughty).

I take Freedom for road walks as part of her bomb proofing and she has done fine - no trotting, just walking as almost everything is scary to her. She has remained sound in mind and feet.
wub.gif

Denise

Silversong Farm

Denise

Silversong Farm

Mercysmom, yes horses can get splints. I've seen it on high performance horses who are regularly schooled in hard packed arenas, the younger the horse the more common the splints as well as other injuries. They aren't a good thing, sometimes the horse is sore, but usually he isn't. I haven't seen them affect a horses long term soundness, but I do my best to work my horses in a soft arnea and make sure they are older before I work them hard. I do drive on pavement sometimes, but I try to limit their trotting exposure on it.

Horses CAN get "splints", but not what I would consider the same thing as human shin splints. The splint bone is a residual of one of the 'original' multiple toes that the early forms of horse had; it lies along the side of the inside of the front cannons, coming down from the 'top'of the cannon, and sort of tapering off to 'nothing'. It is usually a impact to this area, but anything that causes inflammation there can cause a 'splint' to form(this is the main reason why people use splint boots on their horses' front legs, even on minis.) A 'splint', which is a calcification, creating a hard, vertically linear enlargement over the splint bone(meaning, relatively high along the inside of the cannon bone) may be painful when forming, usually isn't once it is 'done'. Splints can be removed, if you do it when it is 'fresh'-I have done it, years ago. Though it is not impossible for ground concussion to cause a splint, it is most likely to be caused by a direct impact to the area. I have never seen a mini with a splint-there are probably a number of reasons(one of which is that lots of people do use splint boots regularly), but I would postulate that major ones are that minis aren't used in vigorous pursuits where hooves are more likely to make hard contact with the inside of another leg, like reining and cutting, and the fact that their body weight is relatively light. As for seeing them on (full-sized)performance horses-I have to say that it is likely to be a combination of the tendency to use them TOO HARD, TOO YOUNG(basically, as VooDoo said)---AND, the way many modern stock horse breeds have been bred-to have pasterns that are TOO STRAIGHT, and feet that are TOO SMALL! -that is responsible for many horses having them.

ANY horse, whether big or small,needs to be trained/used in a way that does not OVERstress its physical components, especially those relatively delicate legs and feet-there is no muscle below the knee and hock on horses-only tendons, ligaments, and bone-all structures that if injured, are difficult, and SLOW, to heal. This is why it is SO important to try to first, breed them to have correct components-strong, short, dense cannons, pasterns of proper length AND slope(no 'extremes, either way) and good feet-strong, round, BIG enough to properly support THAT horse, with quality horn and proper structure-good wide frog, open heels, etc., etc. THEN, you allow them to develop and mature without overfacing body structures(not to mention their minds!) until they are mature enough so that the physical demands of training/performing aren't likely to present undue risk! IN MY OPINION-there is 'way too much 'rushing' of horses in this country into high level performance events of various sorts-look at horse racing, and at the multitude of 'Futurities'-Good for someone's pocketbook to win, BAD for the horse's health. It seems to me that there is a philosophy that you can 'push' one early, and if you 'use them up' early, why, just throw that one away, and get another. Horses shouldn't be unsound by age 5 or 6!

OK, off my soap box! All that said, I occasionally trot my horses on a nearby pavement(subdivision.)Usually,they're wearing Easyboots-then-not often, not all that far-and according to their age, level of training, and most importantly, level of conditioning!!

Latest posts

Back