For those of you who have converted cargo haulers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheryl

Reaction score
I did a search and read a bunch of threads on this option, but I have a few questions I didn't see answered.

1. How much did it cost in money and effort to convert to be mini safe (vents, windows, removable dividers, padding, mats, kickplate on walls etc) - approx? What kind of skills do you need for this - welding etc? I am most concerned about installing windows and vents so they don't leak and cause rust. I hope you don't mind this question, but decent used ones seem to cost $2,000-3,500 depending on features. I want brakes so I didn't see any super bargains and I wondered what the total finished cost will be and how that compares to a regular horse trailer.

2. What was your primary reason for going this route versus a horse trailer?

3. How is the ride? Too bouncy? I noticed that many of them have torsion axles which is better then cheaper/older horse trailers, but I still wonder since they are cargo trailers.

4. Are you satisfied with single axle or do you think you really need a double axle for safety and comfort? (I am concerned the double axle ones will be too heavy for my vehicle)

5. For hauling one mini and one cart, do you think it is possible to convert a cargo trailer and keep the total loaded weight under 2,500#? My big Odessy mini van can tow about 3,500 since it has a tow package, but we have a lot of hills etc and I am conservative about it.

6. What is the minimum size that would work to still fit that easy entry cart in there? I was thinking the 10' long ones with the side door and back ramp. That is nice because there are two ways out of the trailer for safety. Does it fit in a standard garage?

BTW, I still own a fullsize truck, but I hardly use that vehicle and DH wants to sell it. I am just exploring options here..... If i can squeeze a trailer in my garage I don't have to pay to park it. If I can find a light enough tow vehicle I can sell my truck. A horse trailer does NOT fit in the garage and I have to pay to park it, so I am just looking at alternatives.

thanks!

Latest posts

Back