For the Americans of the board...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear of your friend's experience. But with the terrorism threats and all the people we have had killed in the US i am glad they take those precautions. I hope she found something to enjoy while in our country. We aren't all bad.

I know a bit of how she felt though. That happened to me 20 years ago when i was entering Canada on a motorcycle trip. Our clothing was taken out of our saddle bags, strewn all over the pavement and we were searched in front of all the cars wating to come in, taken inside and questioned for 20 minutes wanting to know our mother's maiden names etc., etc. No i did not like that either. But it happens. Oh well. Oh by the way.....yes i still like Canada and have enjoyed my visits. Hope to be able to come again one day soon.

if you had lost a loved one on 9/11 you would understand why your friend was treated the way she was. Ive said this before and Ill say it again, people living in other countries have no idea what 9/11 did to Americans. Even before 9/11 I got stopped and detained everytime I flew. But I never complain because I know its in everyones best interest. My brothers theory was that I looked so normal and a little out of place because I was always flying alone LOL (flying to see my sick sister)

Im proud to be an American citizen. That doesnt mean I agree with how everything is done but I cant imagine living anywhere else.

I haven't read the other posts yet, but I would think most of us don't care if other countries don't like us, and I don't personally think or worry about it at all. I just live my life and hope that our country, as well as others can help those who are not lucky enough to live in a world of freedom.

I recently traveled, and I am a late 30's blonde haired, blue eyed woman who was detained in security, while 6 guards came over looking through my bags, looking at me like I was a mafia hit man. I was there nearly 30 minutes, questioned about where I was going, yada, yada.

They (airport) tags your ticket for security before you get there, they don't do it because of your race. That's what my hubby tells me anyway, he flys all the time.

I love to travel and if people in other countries can't treat me nicely while I spend my money there, then I will just have to enjoy it without them.

My hubby has been to Canada many times and loves it,,,,so tell all those Canadians that WE LOVE THEM!

9/11 reared bigotry, ignorance and hypocrisy. We dont fear white men because of Oklahoma city, or because of the Presidential assasinations. We did fear the Japaneese for Pearl and look where that got us?

Not ALL muslims are bad, if they were, we wouldnt be here since there are more Muslims than Christians. To lump all in one pile is IGNORANCE. Oh, but then again, look at our so called leader "youre either with us, or with them" "we dont want the next terror incident to be in the shape of a mushroom cloud" HELLO people this man is causing our fear, he gives us 'levels' to be scared , hmmmm is it yellow or orange today?

MAYBE if Tenet had listened prior to 9/11 when he was told Al Queda was a threat but he deemed them inconsequential, 9/11 wouldnt have happened. Maybe when Clinton tried to get authorization to hit them again, during the whole Lewinsky debacle, and the Republicans said he was trying to 'wag the dog' , 9/11 wouldnt have happened.

Oh and by the way, Shrub cant be all that worried about Al Queda since we havent gotten Bin Laden yet, but we have Hussein
default_wacko.png
:

Its one thing for other countries to not like us because we are the best, have the best etc. its quite another to have them hate us because of our Ignorant and Hypocritical President. But, at least, finally, the US citizens are seeing him for what he is. TG!!!!

Well, I'm from the old school. It makes me very sad that most of the world hates Americans.

By the way, I did see a bumper sticker that said "Somewhere In TX there's a village missing it's idiot!"
I am with you, it makes me sad that most of the world hates Americans too.

Well I am a Canadian (I am British born but have been here a long time) and do not think negatively about Americans at all. I have many American friends, and any time I have travelled in the U.S. I have been met with nothing but courtesy and politeness.

I view Americans as very Patriotic - is this supposed to be a bad thing?

I do find here in Canada, that yes there are some who are anti - American to varying degrees, but many of these same people I also find to be arrogant. A superiority complex is worse than extreme patriotism in my books.

There are idiots in every country.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been in America my whole life, yes all 17years of it and i dont see myself living anywhere else ..i couldnt even think of it.

I am proud to be an american citizen, and i do beleive that this is the best place on this planet. Now im sure im being a hypocrit stating this since i've never even set foot out of this country (other then the Cancun MX) ..thats the closest i've gotten.

I think the reason other countries does like us is because we have so much pride in america. I dont even know what any other country flags look like or anything. I think thats why other's dont like us. Also we are the most powerful country in this world, we have the weapons to make us the most powerful country. I've spent 1.5yrs in Government class so i know a bit about this topic. But i do beleive that most dont like us because we do tend to get Cocky sometime.

I am one of those people to.

Leeana H. JMO

Proud would be the wrong word for me.............I'm very GLAD I'm an American, I can't see living anywhere else, and I know how lucky I am that I live in the USA!!!

Even though I'm still glad I live here, at this point in time I am also ashamed to be an American.

I don't blame other countries at all for how they are viewing us as a Nation at this point in time. Our current, so-called Leader is doing a darn good job at turning the US into a pathetic joke of a country.

Hopefully this point in time won't last too much longer, and hopefully this will just turn out to be another negative blip in a history timeline somewhere in the future.

I come from a family who is very divided on it's beliefs, my Mother's family is Democrat, my Father's is Republican, and they voted that way in the past Presidential election. However, with the events that have taken place in the last few months, my Father's side of the family is now ashamed that they voted the way they did. Maybe people's eyes are finally opening..........at least I hope they do before something else really bad happens.

just my thought

no it dont bother me. i dont agree with everythnig this country does but i am pround i was born here. everything is to polical(spelling) money and power rules most things. poeple for the most part atleast to me are closed minded esp here in the us. I dont really care for the us goverment but i guess it could always be worse. all i can do is live my life with my family and do the best i can

JAmes

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to read all the replies, and it's also fabulous to have this conversation without arguments and such.

I too am sorry for what my friend had to go through, and although I understand the precautions that the borders must use I failed to point out a few other details that made the story a bit more annoying. The girl infront of my friend (who is the same age, and they were all travelling in the same group) did not have a passport, she only had a school ID and they let her into the country with no problems. Yet my friend who was next "in line" was pulled out...She doesn't look all that Arabic, as half her family is British, she basically just looks like a semi tanned caucasian girl, doesn't even sound it as she's lived in Canada since she was 12 years old, if anything she has an english accent. Anyway, yes she did have loads of fun in both New Jersey and New York, apart from many of the people. She was quite upset to have that happen to her as she's travelled extensively throughout the world and never has something like that happened to her.

I must say that when I went to Oregon and Washington I thought the people were fabulous. The only place that I will NEVER be going back to is Seattle. I don't know what it is, but it seems once you hit a big city everyone becomes grumpy, mean and depressed toward you. Where I'm from I'm used to manners, politeness, curtesy(sp?), and things like that but you just don't get that in the cities...it's a "every man for himself" sort of deal. Bleh...not to mention the pong there is.

Jane, I couldn't agree with you more...and, sorry to say, including what you said about your Prime Arse-Kisser!

As

I've said many times before, it is my love of my country and pride in its ideals that makes me speak out when I see something that is plainly wrong.

It is true patriotism to exercise your right to free speechh...not, as some suggest, to avoid criticism BECAUSE of our freedoms.

It is absolutely NOT patriotic to ignore things that need improving and simply be obedient puppets.

It is NOT patriotic to spout jingoistic phrases (i.e., "My country, love it or leave it) or to suggest that those who speak out are traitors.

Much of my criticism of the Bush administration revolves around its corruption of true American ideals -- we are a great nation, but if we allow our ideals to be undermined, where will we be?

Seeking the truth, standing up for what this country truly means, asking hard questions, and educating ourselves is, to me, the truest patriotism and truly what it means to be a proud American.

I love my country, I am very proud of its founding principles -- therefore I will always speak out. The current administration is a travesty...the worst example of corporate power electing a puppet to do their bidding.

I can only hope that, regardless of party, our next president is elected by a sadder but wiser nation, one with its eyes wide open, one that will insist upon the truth.

On the lighter side, I thought you might like to read this email I got recently...

You gotta love Robin Williams...... Even if he's nuts! Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect

plan. What we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.

Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)

"I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan."

1) "The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past &present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those "good ole boys", we will never "interfere" again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea, the Middle East, and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave.We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer

saying "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' "

Yes, I'm PROUD to be an American. If our country is so bad.....why do we have so many illegal immigrants and the ones trying to become "legal". I don't care if other countries don't like us. Who cares! To me, it's the same as someone here doesn't like me. No loss for me. It ticked me off when after 9/11 we were told NOT to fly our American flags because it was offending some folks. My flag kept flying and I will fly it whenever I want....it IS a free country and our forefathers fought and died for that.

Well, I'm way too PROUD to be an American to let what jealousy may inspire get to me. Nothing could ever convince me that this is anything but the best Nation on the planet. And, I'm almost as proud to be a REPUBLICAN (and Bush supporter) as I am to be an AMERICAN.
:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Yes, I'm PROUD to be an American. If our country is so bad.....why do we have so many illegal immigrants and the ones trying to become "legal". I don't care if other countries don't like us. Who cares! To me, it's the same as someone here doesn't like me. No loss for me. It ticked me off when after 9/11 we were told NOT to fly our American flags because it was offending some folks. My flag kept flying and I will fly it whenever I want....it IS a free country and our forefathers fought and died for that.
In the days following 9/11 quite a few houses here in Canada flew the American flag. We were one of them, and have flown it alongside the Canadian and British flags here every summer since.

Jane, I couldn't agree with you more...and, sorry to say, including what you said about your Prime Arse-Kisser!

As

I've said many times before, it is my love of my country and pride in its ideals that makes me speak out when I see something that is plainly wrong.

It is true patriotism to exercise your right to free speechh...not, as some suggest, to avoid criticism BECAUSE of our freedoms.

It is absolutely NOT patriotic to ignore things that need improving and simply be obedient puppets.

It is NOT patriotic to spout jingoistic phrases (i.e., "My country, love it or leave it) or to suggest that those who speak out are traitors.

Much of my criticism of the Bush administration revolves around its corruption of true American ideals -- we are a great nation, but if we allow our ideals to be undermined, where will we be?

Seeking the truth, standing up for what this country truly means, asking hard questions, and educating ourselves is, to me, the truest patriotism and truly what it means to be a proud American.

I love my country, I am very proud of its founding principles -- therefore I will always speak out. The current administration is a travesty...the worst example of corporate power electing a puppet to do their bidding.

I can only hope that, regardless of party, our next president is elected by a sadder but wiser nation, one with its eyes wide open, one that will insist upon the truth.
Now there is the Susanne I know and love! You know just the right things to say to make my hackles go up
default_cheekkiss.gif
: Welcome back!

Mountain Waif, I am with ya--I LOVE this! I am quite sure Robin Williams didn't say this, but whoever did, I applaud them!

That said, I hate that this isn't really practical. You see, we have gone and outsourced so much that we would have a very hard time being self sufficient these days. Immigrants are a good thing--illegal unchecked immigrants--not good. I was a big Bush supporter and shouted it loud and clear. Too much has happened for me to blindly follow now. Once you really get in and do the research, you can see that this isn't about Bush, but he is as deep in it as anyone. The Bush family is in bed with the Clintons--plain and simple. They are good ol' family pals and share a LOT of business links as well. I mean this in the form of oil. All of these rich politicians are DOING the same thing, despite what they are saying about it. If actions speak louder than words, then it is all there plain as day and I am sick from it. Yes, I think we are doing a lot of good in Iraq--I really do. I have too many friends and family over there seeing the progress. At the same time, I think it really is a distraction at this point. The government is taking more and more of our freedoms away in the name of security, safety, a push for a better economy, etc. It is nothing but trash in my opinion. All of our dependance on technology--everything we do is monitored now and can be used against any of us at any time. Do I think this is going to happen now--no, but I think it will probably come soon. The government (and I don't think there is a simgle politician out there that will do anything differently, no matter what direction they claim to lean) is going to continue to do whatever it wants and I don't see much aside from an eventual civil war that will change it. It makes me so sad, but look back at the history books...we as a world (not just a nation) haven't learned much it seems.

I really don't give a rip what a lot of other countries think of us as a whole, because as an army brat I have lived in Germany and have visited many other countries and we were always welcomed and treated kindly. I know that the media trash is often all the young people know of us....the older adults usually remember a much different story.

Anyway, I am sorry for the girl that was checked at the airport--it happens to us Americans as often as to any foreigner. It is a price we all have to pay for for the 9/11 deaths. I think I am done ranting for now.

-Amy

The thing that annoys me is how people in other countries think Americans behave and think like people in American movies. I went to Belarus last year and all the teenagers thought that highschool was exactly like the movie Mean Girls.... NO WAY! They also think every one is dumb and really rich, deffinatly not true. I think between movies and politics people in other countries make up their own idea about what Americans are like and think that every single Amercian is that way. You can't really get mad about that though because everyone does that. I mean Americans deffinatly have false ideas about other countries, most not flattering. It's just that it seems if we were to publicly make fun of anouther country we would get in huge trouble where as if other countries make fun of the US it's all just one big joke (not that the Americans themselves don't laugh
default_smile.png
)!

As for your friend that ad to go through all that security, yeah it's rediculas but they weren't trying to be huge jerks, they were trying to protect people, you've seen what can happen.

On the lighter side, I thought you might like to read this email I got recently...

You gotta love Robin Williams...... Even if he's nuts! Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect

plan. What we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.

Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)

"I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan."

1) "The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past &present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those "good ole boys", we will never "interfere" again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea, the Middle East, and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave.We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer

saying "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' "
:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

perfect........now is he running for office because I could seriously get behind that platform
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back