For the Americans of the board...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my country, I am very proud of its founding principles
I couldn't agree more with this statement! :aktion033: For me, the founding principles are the most important and we started to go away from the founding prinicples after only a few presidents. To blame this administration, you also need to blame many before it.
default_sad.png
There have been serious flaws under every administration. :no: There will NEVER be a time in our country when all people will support a single administration.
default_wacko.png
: Just a fact of life. Diversity. :saludando: That's what our country is all about. We each are allowed our own beliefs and are not punished for them.
default_yes.gif
: We vote for our administration and the majority rules.
default_yes.gif
: We can complain all we want, then when it's time to vote, we have the opportunity to change things or keep them the same, and again, the majority rules. The minority will complain until they are the majority again. And so it goes on, back and forth.
default_wink.png
:

I still believe in the founding principles of this country and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
default_yes.gif
:

I love my country, I am very proud of its founding principles
I couldn't agree more with this statement! :aktion033: For me, the founding principles are the most important and we started to go away from the founding prinicples after only a few presidents. To blame this administration, you also need to blame many before it.
default_sad.png
There have been serious flaws under every administration. :no: There will NEVER be a time in our country when all people will support a single administration.
default_wacko.png
: Just a fact of life. Diversity. :saludando: That's what our country is all about. We each are allowed our own beliefs and are not punished for them.
default_yes.gif
: We vote for our administration and the majority rules.
default_yes.gif
: We can complain all we want, then when it's time to vote, we have the opportunity to change things or keep them the same, and again, the majority rules. The minority will complain until they are the majority again. And so it goes on, back and forth.
default_wink.png
:

I still believe in the founding principles of this country and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
default_yes.gif
:

Very well said, Kathy.

I dont even know what any other country flags look like or anything. I think thats why other's dont like us. Also we are the most powerful country in this world, we have the weapons to make us the most powerful country.
Well, when I was in school - I knew what other flags looked like - and what the people were like who lived under them. Still do. It never hurts to study the world around you... otherwise you get a very "tunnel-vision" view of things.

And MIGHT does not always make RIGHT. It is how you use your might... or more importantly, not use it.

This is not the only country in the world based on principles of democracy and freedom and not the only place where you have freedon of speech - and yet you hear that repeatedly. Heck, this is not even the largest democracy in the world...

This is not the only country with immigration problems - with people anxious to get in.

This is not the only country that aids others in need. Other countries may not have the same amount of $$$ behind them - but they do help - and many are admired for their humanitarian efforts.

tigeress - you have done the same thing that you started this thread to complain about - making sweeping generalizations. You met some rude people in Seattle - so automatically the whole place sucks! LOL

Come back and visit again - and no doubt you will change your mind...
default_wink.png
:

Generalizations about a city.... or a country.... or its people - are never accurate - or fair.

FINALLY A BREATH OF FRESH AIR.

:aktion033: :aktion033:

Well, when I was in school - I knew what other flags looked like - and what the people were like who lived under them. Still do. It never hurts to study the world around you... otherwise you get a very "tunnel-vision" view of things.
And MIGHT does not always make RIGHT. It is how you use your might... or more importantly, not use it.

This is not the only country in the world based on principles of democracy and freedom and not the only place where you have freedon of speech - and yet you hear that repeatedly. Heck, this is not even the largest democracy in the world...

This is not the only country with immigration problems - with people anxious to get in.

This is not the only country that aids others in need. Other countries may not have the same amount of $$$ behind them - but they do help - and many are admired for their humanitarian efforts.

Being Canadian I believe that the grumbling you might hear is more directed at your government at the moment and not the American people!!! It is more the image your President is portraying. I am sorry but I truly detest the man himself. He is very short-sighted and ignorant. I don't mean ignorant in the sense of stupid, I mean he is ignorant or chooses to be .... he is not a wordly kind of person. I truly do not feel that "he" is good for the image of your country and it''s people.

To those of you who think that "everyone" would like to move to your country, that is not true at all. It may be your personal perception only. If you were to ask an Australian they would say they live in the best country, if you were to ask a Spaniard they would say they live in the best country. Every country has it's strong points and it's weak points and it's wonderful that the people in each country have patriotism for their country. I would never wish to reside anywhere else but MY own country just like you wouldn't want to leave your country.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't give a rip what a lot of other countries think of us as a whole, because as an army brat I have lived in Germany and have visited many other countries and we were always welcomed and treated kindly. I know that the media trash is often all the young people know of us....the older adults usually remember a much different story.
I am using this as a general quote...not pointing at you, Okay? It simply brought back some memories of my many visits to other Counties around the World.

Before going on Temporary Duty, outside Canada, or the US, one of the first things packed, was a hoard of Canadian Flag pins. Beleive you me, if you are in most other Countries, and you aren't wearing that pin, and the folks think you're "American"...many times you'll get rude service...if any.

And this was happening many, many years before 9/11. It had nothing to do with terrorism, but everything to do with the attitude of the US Military in these areas. Do you KNOW how arrogant those young Marines and such could be when "visiting" outside their own Country?? You'd think that they were only allowing the British or French to live in their countries. I will never forget one particular time, when in Iceland, my friend's and I were being snubbed in a clothing store...until I mentioned Canadian money looking like Kroners. I heard a gasp...a hurried converstion, and then we were absolutely swarmed with people from all over the store...all I heard was "Canada?---Canada"?? the difference was hugely recognizeable.

I have even had US Military members try to buy my Canadian flag pins, to wear themselves, when in civies...in town and bars. :lol:

Anyways...it does seem to be an attitude "thing", in my opinion. As for myself, I have had nothing but the best of experiences south of the Border, myself, and am sure it will continue to be so.
default_yes.gif
: We just have to remember, that no matter how happy we are here...we are not necessarily the "Be all to end all".

To those of you who think that "everyone" would like to move to your country, that is not true at all. It may be your personal perception only. If you were to ask an Australian they would say they live in the best country, if you were to ask a Spaniard they would say they live in the best country. Every country has it's strong points and it's weak points and it's wonderful that the people in each country have patriotism for their country. I would never wish to reside anywhere else but MY own country just like you wouldn't want to leave your country.
Well I've yet to hear anyone use the phrase "everyone wants to move to the US" and it's broad generalizations like that that lead to gross misunderstandings. Are you basing you assumption that it's a personal perception perhaps with your own personal perception? A rough estimate of our immigration population is over a millon annually, legal and illegal combined, and approx. 100,000 of those are from Canada--not necessarily Canadian citizens but immigrants to Canada, I might add. So while not "everyone wants to live here" we can claim a whole heck of a lot of people do.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited:
Well, I guess pretty much you all know what I think and where I stand.

I have to say, this thread really does _iss me off in a way. I keep coming back here and it just starts the annoyance with that little green puke icon.

Just urgh.........

This isn't a good thing, at all, but the older I get and the more I have worked towards, the less tolerant I am. I'm turning into the female version of my father!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

And, you know, this will only just show that this is a bit under my skin, but how would YOU feel if I asked "does it ever get on your nerves that Americans are always joking about how spineless Canadians are?"

That point typed out, I do not feel all Canadians are spineless however, I have heard a couple hundred "jokes" to that effect.

Well Jill I do have to agree with that. It ticks me off too but I guess people in other countries have no concept what they are sterotyped as and joked about or they wouldn't ask such things in the first place. I've heard many, actually quite funny ones that would really tick quite a few people here off here who are from other countries but I have found that most of the American's as flawed as we are, seem to have much better manners than to attack or run down other nations. Maybe because we don't feel we have to
default_rolleyes.gif
:. I have yet to see ANY American insult another's country on this forum but it's generally thought OK to do the reverse. :no:

Last edited:
default_rolleyes.gif
:. I have yet to see ANY American insult another's country on this forum but it's generally thought OK to do the reverse. :no:
Well you have a short memory then Triggy, because we Canadians used to be regularly and blatantly insulted by a certain male member of the board, who was also regularly banned and would sign up again under a different name. But then I just considered the source and ignored it! :lol:

I have never felt spoken down to here as a Canadian, other than by the aforementioned person, but this doesn't mean the feelings are not there with some.

The reason I posted on this topic in the first place, is because I thought it rather an odd question to ask, and wanted to express that not all people feel this way. I either like or dislike a person based on who they are, not where they come from.

"...most of the American's as flawed as we are, seem to have much better manners than to attack or run down other nations. Maybe because we don't feel we have to..." Triggy

Why bother joking when our sorry excuse for leadership will just "shock and awe" occupy their country, tear it apart, throw out their leader and force our own politics on the people...
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I see fairly both sides of the story. My parents are both American and so is my sister. My bother and I were born here in Canada. All are family is still in the sates (YEAH MICHIGAN!) and we did live there off and on while I was growing up. It sometimes drives me crazy because I think I am so lucky to have citizenship to both of the greatest countries in the world.

Yet some Canadians (not all!) dislike Americans and Americans (not all) dislike Canadians. I find Canadians say lots “we drill for our own oil and not bomb for it, we are peace keepers unlike the American’s and suchâ€. Then American’s say “Canada doesn’t do enough, they stand back and let us do all the work.â€

It’s hard because I will defend both Canada and the US.

Personally (please Canadians don’t take offense). But Canada is able to be the peacekeeping nation that we want to be because we are sitting next to the US. Do you think we would be a peaceful county if we were sitting next to Iraq?? Heck no they would have taken over us for our oil. So I think it is a win win situation. We can be the peacekeepers as long as the US is the powerhouse.

The US is in a hard spot because if they just sat back and did nothing I think everyone would be like “why aren’t you doing anything!†and when they do something they get yelled at for doing it.

Some one is always going to be the #1 country in the world no matter what and as a girl with both Canadian and American citizenship I thank my lucky stars that I am sitting next to them and that its isn’t Iraq or a country with weapons of mass destruction.

Dee

I'm sorry this young person felt that she or she was singled out.

But I'm here to tell you that that is not the case. I have had the "mega surch" twice since 911. I am a white middle aged woman rased in the south. The first time was a week after 911 and the second time was just 2 months ago.

So profilingI dont think so, randam checks yes.

I argrree with the others that feel that we should leave the rest of the world to work on their own troubles and take care of our own. But we would be hated for that too. You just cant win.

default_rolleyes.gif
Well you have a short memory then Triggy, because we Canadians used to be regularly and blatantly insulted by a certain male member of the board, who was also regularly banned and would sign up again under a different name. But then I just considered the source and ignored it! :lol:
Not a short memory but if I recall one of the major players in that battle was a Canadian and she went on to be one of the most obnoxious (fill in your own blank) on record until she finally grew up. However, one example in the 4 years I've been here compare to the countless attacks by Canadians. et al more than makes up for it.

And Nikki perhaps try reading for context next time. My reference was not about our foreign policy it was about the negative attitudes and arrogant self rightous BS that permeates this forum every time the subject of the US comes up.

Ashamed to be an American? NEVER!! I wore the uniform for this great Country, and if called upon would gladly do it again. The countries that put America down and attack us are in a word JEALOUS. Jealous of our freedoms, that we can say whatever we darn well please about whatever we darn well please - that we can choose whatever beliefs we choose to worship - or none at all. That we all have a chance at the piece of the pie - if we are willing to work for it. That in many, many countries around the world they don't have computers in their homes to even participate in a forum such as this - or that they would have to hide in fear if they did.

They sure want us to come to their aid fast enough when the big bad wolf comes knocking at their door, or when the latest natural disaster happens. We have supported the world for many years, financially and militarily. Many countries still owe the USA money frok world war two.

I also agree that somewhere in Texas, a village IS missing an idiot. It always makes me wonder why we can put a bomb down a small chimney or airduct for a building from 10,000 feet and at 600 mph, but cannot find a 7 foot tall person of arabian heritage who has to be on dialysis every other day? Maybe Kerry wasn't the answer - but he was a darn sight better than Bush. The ONLY thing good about Bush is that he must stay alive so that Cheney would not be president. Now THAT would be a TOTAL disaster.

Mark Bullington

Yikes you guys sure do get your knickers in a twist.

Also if we're going to be talking about there always being a # 1 country, that number one country is clearly China for many reasons.

No I don't mind that Canada is constantly being made fun of(heck I do it myself all the time), because Canada is a bit of a joke. Our justice system is terrible, we have no navy vessels...apart from our very sexy canoes that we fire marshmallows from. The list goes on of silly things in our country, but every country has things like that.

I've heard many awful stories about Seattle, from many different people. Everyone I talked to in Seattle (quite a few people) were very rude/grumpy and just overall irritating to be around. I really do not like big cities so that did not help, there's so much smog there that it's hard to breathe! The rest of Washington was fabulous, we were mostly in "smaller" areas and the peopel were wonderful!

Ahh I have to check on the horses I'll come back to this later.

I agree that EVERYONE should be proud of the country they live in and are a citizen of- for me it is very hard work sometimes but I am still proud of dear old Blighty, the country, NOT the Politics. It is why I have NO tolerance of our "Young disillusioned Muslim population"- if they do not like it, go someplace else, I would LOVE to see how long they last in a strictly Muslim country!! Here they will not get executed for questioning the Q'ran, at least!!

No, Americans, please, be proud of your country, however you feel about the government, it is YOUR country, after all.

But also you have to understand that not everyone sees things the same way.

All sensible people I have ever talked to want a complete embargo on Commercial Whaling.

Except Japan.

Try and talk them into what we see as straightforward common sense.

THEY think they have the right to hunt an animal to extinction because thay want to eat it.

This war about oil and oil prices will not in any way help the rest of the world.

America is doing it to help America, nothing else.

Our Gas prices will continue to escalate out through the roof, and America will continue to run cars that do 10 miles or less to the gallon at a quarter of the price of gas to the rest of the world.

THAT is how you are seen by the Christian world.

I complete ignore the Islam opinions these days as they are male dominated, bigoted and irrational, sop why would I want their opinion??

I KNOW the foreign aid rarely gets where it is supposed to go- it drives me NUTS- America is just one of the countries supplying foreign aid, and it supplies things it has in surplus anyway (that is NOT a criticism!!!)

bags of corn intended for growing- seed corn- poisoned a whole village. It had been sprayed with fertiliser to help it grow, and preservative to stop it sprouting. It had all this displayed on the bag. It was syphoned off and sold privately and poisoned a village- so it was easily traced- this sort of thing happens all the time.

What to do?

Withdraw all aid??

One way, but American aid alone does not support these people, if aid is withdrawn it has to be everyone doing it.

The simplest way would be for the world bank to cancel all debts to the third world- that would affect everyone, and to give no more loans, so corrupted governments could not starve their own countries, which is what is happening.

Iraq??

Withdraw all troops.

We will be very glad to have our boys and girls home too, far too many have died already and if their is ONE thing Imperialism should have taught the British it is that you cannot hold a country against itself.

You should have taught us that in 1776, if nothing else!!!

Good thing I am not from Seattle, or I'd find Tigeress' generalizations about Seattle residents very offensive. I've visited Seattle but never lived there. Guess while I visited I met all the wrong people, because none of them were as she describes. Oh well.. (shrugs)

As an American citizen living in Canada for the past 30 years I think I've heard it all. Yes, Canadians do frequently--and unfairly--run down Americans. And no, it's not the current government, (like the Canadian government has been such a prize winner in recent times???) it's often Americans in general. When someone starts in around me I clear my throat & remind them of where I'm from & if they persist they do get a rebuttal in many cases. Sure, there are no doubt some things that deserve criticism but hey, Canadians are pretty good at hiding their heads in the sand too. Terrorists? Lets pretend there aren't any, and they will leave us alone.

One thing I often hear Americans criticized for is "they don't know anything at all about Canada". Unfortunately, the only thing many Canadians know about America are generalizations (hello Tigeress!). The best one of all though was the gal that was shooting off her mouth about how Americans just don't know anything about Canada--haven't got a clue, you know, about where Alberta or Manitoba is.... Then someone else came along & joined the conversation & changed the topic to something that had been in the news about Waterton. First gal didn't know where that was....I said Waterton Lakes Nat'l Park....you know, in Alberta, right across the border from Glacier National Park in Montana. I got a blank stare. She hadn't a clue where either of 'em were.
default_wacko.png
: Talk about calling the kettle black--Hellooooo Pot.....!

Good thing I am not from Seattle, or I'd find Tigeress' generalizations about Seattle residents very offensive. I've visited Seattle but never lived there. Guess while I visited I met all the wrong people, because none of them were as she describes. Oh well.. (shrugs)
I would be but my guess is that the poster is young and although he/she asked a legitimate question initially appears to have limited life experience by making those types of generalizations. If anything Seattleiites are known to be disgustingly nice, polite and PC to the hilt compared to most major cities in the US. If she ran into some rude ones no doubt they were are all from California
default_wink.png
:

Now you CA people I'm just kidding so don't get upset.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I can freely joke about that being a California native.

Triggy I never said that no Canadian has ever been rude here on the board, we were not discussing that, I was addressing your comment that you have "yet to see ANY American insult another's country".

There have been others, I just chose the most memorable (I don't mean that in a good way!) as anyone who has been around this board awhile will remember him. You can't say you have never seen ANY, and then say well yes there was that one (and there were others besides him) the two statements contradict one another. It was in effect saying that Americans have the monopoly on manners and etiquette, and sorry but it just ain't so!!! :no:

As I said, there are idiots in every country. Mine, yours, every one. Americans have a right to be proud of their nation, as we do ours.

Tigress, to say that people sure do get their knickers in a twist is just adding insult to injury. How can you post such an inflammatory question and expect people not to bite. Pride in one's country is a big deal for most. This topic should never have been started in the first place as far as I am concerned.

LB may be a Canadian based forum, but we have many, many American members, as well as other nationalities, and this is not the place for that kind of thing. But this is just my opinion....

I am surprised to hear so many references to Canada disliking Americans. Living in Michigan and only being a couple hours from Canada, I have visited there a few times and never experienced hatred. My husband goes to Canada every year for 10 days for a fishing trip with his father and uncle and he has never experienced any hatred either. In fact, when they went on a trip shortly after 9-11, my husband was pleasantly surprised at how many Canadians came up to him and hugged him and told him how sorry they were.

Here in Michigan, Canada is treated like a neighbor, not another country. We fly their flag along side ours - at sporting events, etc. Their national anthem is played, so I guess I'm confused about Canadians disliking Americans. I guess it's because of where I live, but I can't see any of the other northern u.s. states that butt up to Canada being any different. I'm sure Michigan is not special or anything or maybe it is.

Latest posts

Back