For the Americans of the board...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
Now this is quite a 'touchy' subject and the way I'm saying this is not meant at all to be offensive I honestly just want to know the answer! So I'm hoping that this can stay civilized just so that my question can be nicely answered.

As an American do you ever get sad, or annoyed or..?? that so many people dislike Americans, America in general and that Americans are constantly being ridiculed?

I know that where I live in Canada, I can't go one day (and that's not an exageration at all) without hearing some sort of negativeity toward the U.S. in general and/or Americans. The same happened when I was in Spain, and when I'm in England. It seems that the general concensus is that America is hated (but at the same time loved) by the whole world.

Just this past week my friend (who is a very innocent looking sixteen year old girl) went on a school trip to New York...simply because she was BORN in the UAE, specifically Dubai she was taken away at customs, she was questioned, treated as though he makeup kit was a bomb and as though she had weapons on her, she was finger printed, had pictures taken of her and those were put into APHIS, she was told to stop crying because there was no need to be crying, she was treated like a criminal that had weapons of mass destruction, yet she was completely innocent. This is the "happy" version of the story. She didn't recieve an apology or anything...
default_sad.png

I dunno I could go on an on and on and ON with stories but that won't get us anywhere, or answer my question...So my question is as stated above does it annoy or upset you that "everyone" seems to dislike Americans as a generalized group? I know that I would be pretty upset about it. In fact it kind of annoys me anyway.

Like I said above this really isn't meant to be offensive at all and I really hope nobody takes it that way, it's simply me trying to understand how you cope with it all if it even bothers you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I don't feel badly that "we" are ridiculed or persecuted or whatever.

I DO feel badly for being within a population of people that is basically represented by a "moron" (sorry, Bush-ers, but not much).

I feel like very person is an individual and while I disagree with some countries' policies, I would never exclude everyone within it nor would I condemn them because of a few or even a majority which are less than ideal human beings. It's just not "American."

I am sorry for your friend's bad experience, I truly am. I think an apology would have been easy to voice, but then, I was not there and I'm also sorry for the awful things that did happen while we were busy looking the other way and so many people died.

Unfortunately, everyone in the world was attacked on 9/11, and it changed everyone's outlook. To just forget and get back to normal would also be wrong, but there is no reason to be inhumane/inhuman and to treat people badly, even potential terrorists.

I am not proud of a lot that is going on in this country right now, but I AM PROUD THAT I CAN LIVE HERE AND SAY THAT OUT LOUD, IN TYPE, AND DISAGREE! (Yep, I was shouting). I am and always will be proud of all the freedoms we have, proud of those that have died and given their sanity for what we have, and proud of the majority of us who are generous, caring and forgiving. I am also proud of those that will never forget and will protect us to the death.

I refuse to be ashamed of the principles on which this country is founded and hence our reputation and population, even though there are some awful people living here, and in high offices.

Liz M.

[SIZE=12pt]Wow Liz, I think you read my mind. :aktion033: [/SIZE]

Well, I'm way too PROUD to be an American to let what jealousy may inspire get to me. Nothing could ever convince me that this is anything but the best Nation on the planet. And, I'm almost as proud to be a REPUBLICAN (and Bush supporter) as I am to be an AMERICAN.

july4_1.gif

So my question is as stated above does it annoy or upset you that "everyone" seems to dislike Americans as a generalized group

Maybe so sometimes, but some of those very same people bad mouthing Americans will be the first ones in line asking us for aid, rescues, handouts, bailouts, fianancial assistance or whatever it takes to take care of their "current not so pleasant situations". My opinion.

I am a Very Proud American. However I wish that people would not lump people of one nationality/ethnicity into one catagory. Kinda think that is short sighted and well, rather ignorant. I am Terribly sorry to hear what happened to that poor girl , thats just sad and wrong.

I was in Europe just as Shrubhead invaded Iraq. Was sad how we ( americans) were viewed, BUT, it did seem that most people didnt just lump us into a group and treat us like we were Shrubettes.

Its very easy to see why they hate us, we are a Country of Hypocrits, do as we say, not as we do. We think we are the school yard sheriffs yet we act like school yard bullies.

I bet if Shrub was a Democrat, all these died in the wool Republicans would be calling for impeachment. But oh well, when you Vote a party, no matter what, then you will make excuses for said Party, no matter what they do. :no:

Hey someone has to play that role so I guess it will be US
default_wink.png
:

Maybe so sometimes, but some of those very same people bad mouthing Americans will be the first ones in line asking us for aid, rescues, handouts, bailouts, fianancial assistance or whatever it takes to take care of their "current not so pleasant situations". My opinion.
My opinion as well

As for your friend she may not like or understand but it isn't just the US that is taking these actions and for the record white 80 year old grannies have recieved similar treatment (oh yeah granny bombers
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

Sadly terrorism is now part of society and well so far all terrorists have come from a certain part of the world so I do believe that a certain amount of racial profiling is neccessary ....sorry but many of the suicide bombs have been carried by women who would appear harmless......

I think the US needs to take care of our own and quit running off to help every politicians pet project or oil buddy but hey thats just me.........our great country needs to close the borders deport the illegals and figure out our own problems and quit the partyline bickering, and quit pandering to every country out there we can only spread ourselves so thin before we shall fray...............I am sick of hearing about the billions in aide being given to the same morons who bombed us, when people in our own country have no medical or dental, are homeless, for crying out loud we have entire states that are still totally messed up by the hurricanes but instead of fixing our problems we are out there saving the rest of the world from their problems.............

Personally I could give a rats behind what anyone else thinks of this country..............

Well, I'm way too PROUD to be an American to let what jealousy may inspire get to me. Nothing could ever convince me that this is anything but the best Nation on the planet. And, I'm almost as proud to be a REPUBLICAN (and Bush supporter) as I am to be an AMERICAN.

july4_1.gif

Thank you Jill you spoke from the bottom of my heart!

Even I am German

Proud to be American, God bless our President

Anita

[email protected]

Well, I'm from the old school. It makes me very sad that most of the world hates Americans.

By the way, I did see a bumper sticker that said "Somewhere In TX there's a village missing it's idiot!"

So my question is as stated above does it annoy or upset you that "everyone" seems to dislike Americans as a generalized group

I had to chuckle when I read the heading guessing what it was about. There isn't a country on this planet that it's people aren't considered ignorant buffoons for taking some kind of stand that outsiders don't understand and yes that includes Canada
default_rolleyes.gif
: Just a few weeks ago the world was calling the Danes a bunch of idiots, who will it be next week? If this is such an awful place it's funny how many from all those "loved" countries are trying their darnest to get to the U.S. to live. I have yet to see a mass exodus from the U.S. to anywhere else and doubt I ever will.

...and to speak to the quote above, yes sadly that is right on but even sadder is when it comes from the very ones who live here.
default_wacko.png
: But that is what makes this country great, they would be sllenced or even killed other places for voicing their opinions at all.

Last edited:

Yep I couldnt agree more, they can say what they want but they are the first ones standing there with there hands out

To put it blunty, no, we are the ones with the b*lls to actually stand up when someone throws a punch at us and not let them run over us.

And to quote a country song:

The ones that don't like it can kiss my #$$. lol :new_shocked:

And I'll state there was no offense taken in reading and replying to this. Just stating my opinion.

Speaking of which - I heard on the news this week that there are 39,000 Chinese in detention centers here in the United States & their Country will NOT take them back. We cannot export them but we are spending God knows how much money to feed, house & medicate them... If these were Americans in some other country they would be killed or "meet up with a fatal accident". And what about the boat people & the borders?....... We aren't perfect but I would rather be here in America than somewhere else.

july4_1.gif

:aktion033: Well said. :aktion033:

There are MANY other countries that enjoy the freedom of speech that you do.

I live in one.

In case your memories are really that short, we too made a stand.

One that cost us very, very dearly.

And are still doing so.

In case you are not aware there are British soldiers in Iraq, dying there every day, beside yours.

You are not alone.

Why pretend you are doing all this on your own?

Incidentally- the handouts??

Indonesia is still waiting for the majority of the money that Bush pledged- ours went in at the a start.

I think Louisiana is still waiting, too, so at least he is even handed!!!

I do not actually think it is America that gathers the prejudice, although as a Nation you are are, at times, almost insufferably arrogant, I think it is the Bush regime that is gathering the prejudice at the moment, and so America is getting it as well.

I also think this is going to go down as the most badly managed Presidency of all time- but, whether you voted for him or not, "a country gets the leader it deserves".

Look what we got!!!
default_yes.gif
:

And for the record, I would not want to live in America.

I am happy where I am.

We too have an ENORMOUS illegal immigrant problem, it is just a cross that any country that is semi prosperous has to bear.

It does not bother me what other countries think - they are so uninformed about the U.S., they can't make a rational opinion on it anyway. Other countries, including America - are only told what your media and ours wants you to believe and nothing more.

I am very proud to live in this Country although I don't always agree with what our current administration is doing. I would not want to live in any other country ever or even go to visit. My decision is not based on what I see in the media either. It is based on facts.

I am sorry your friend went through all that, but have her go to some other countries, she may experience worse than what she got here.

wanted to add - if this country is so "terrible", why does everone want to come here. We are the most diversified country having every religion, race, etc, and too many immigrants that we don't have room for.

I think the point you are missing is that the refugees do not necessarily want to come to America, specifically, they just want to get out of their own country and live somewhere they can get health care and work.

We have the same problem, and Yes, we have Chinese here too, legal and illegal.

Whilst we allow them to enter we continue to jeopardise our own economy.

Hard, isn't it??

Welcome to the real world.

If more people were happy where they are the world would be a happier place, but it is no longer enough to sit still and say "I'm alright"

I am TOTALLY against any country continuing to take refugees when it cannot take care of it's own- the New Orleans tragedy was a real eye opener for the whole world.

We have problems as well, they are not yours alone.

We should all be sorting them out together, not squabbling like school children, or attempting to turn arse hugging into an Olympic sport- Blair would get Gold for sure and I am not at all sure how he can see where he is going, with his head stuck where it is.

Less than a case of the blind leading the blind, I would say!!

We should all be proud of our countries, no mistake, they are, in most cases, the land of out birth, and if not that then a rational choice has been made, which is as valid.

Long may National Pride continue!!!

Latest posts

Back