Foods chickens absolutely love????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
I have a chicken that was attacked by a neighbors dog. He killed one of them and one servived the attack. She is doing better. Its been 2 days, she is on antibiotics, pain meds and topical treatment for skin wounds.

She isn't eating well but is better today, drinking water and alert. What will chickens eat more than anything else? Will they eat meal worms or something like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a chicken that was attacked by a neighbors dog. He killed one of them and one servived the attack. She is doing better. Its been 2 days, she is on antibiotics, pain meds and topical treatment for skin wounds.

She isn't eating well but is better today, drinking water and alert. What will chickens eat more than anything else? Will they eat meal worms or something like that?
Bugs (almost any kind will do) worms, grasshoppers, kitchen greens, yes mealworms too! I bought some chicks for the grand daughters and they like to killed each other trying to get each others worms that I put in there...Ummmm, hope your not 'scared' of insects or worms! LOL

I'm so sorry your chickens got hurt and killed by a DOG
closedeyes.gif
. I just lost my flock, 8 of 10 to my BILs dog too. Some we've had for 8 years. We have to rebuild now.
bye-sad.gif

I hope your chicken makes it. Sending good thoughts.

As for foods they love, mine went crazy for red grapes(cut in 1/2) and oatmeal (wet). both give extra water so they doin't get dehydrated. Of course bugs and mealworms are good too! Good luck!

So sorry about your chickens. Glad the one did make it though. Our chickens love chopped up parsley, corn on the cob (by morning it is cleaned down to the cob), blueberries, cooked pasta. Actually come to think of it everything I have ever put out for them they have eaten and nothing has seemed to bother them. Of course ours always enjoy bugs.

Hope your hen makes a full recovery!

Mine go crazy for Corn on the cob and tomatoes and watermelon oh how divine they say.

Karen in Gaffney, SC

I agree with all of the above. Additionally, and if you can stomach it....mine love dog food and cat food, both wet and dry. Cat food has more protein and I gave it as a supplement to my flock when the whole flock came down with coryza (nasty, awful stuff...lost 1/3 of them) just to try to keep them alive and get them healthy again. I also have a very old dog (golden retriever mix) and she only eats about 1/2 of what we give her, so what she doesn't eat goes to the chickens as well. They sure fight over it, so it must be something good!

I feel so bad for your poor girl. I've never had one injured, only sick. It breaks my heart to see them hurting. I know some people don't feel this way about chickens, but I LOVE my chickens. They are the icing on the cake here on my farm and I wouldn't want to live without them.

Jayne

Thank you so much for the kind words. I have her in the house in a crate (flies). I know I know its just a chicken. I love my Brahmas they are the coolest birds. They remind me of big bird, naïve kinda big fluffy. They have fluffy butts lol.

She is doing better, she is talking to me when I approach the crate and she is standing up much better today. She has a wound that had to be sutured at her knee and just inside the thigh. 2 puncture wounds through the skin the size of nickles. This is painful so she sits a lot with her leg stretched out.

She ate 40-50 meal worms! Happy dance!!

I will try the oatmeal, grapes and all the other items recommended. I gave her watermelon yesturday but not much interested in it even though she did eat it before she was hurt.

So glad she ate the worms, very encouraging.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I hope she makes it.

Candycar so sorry you lost your chickens, dogs just kill for sport. I have 4 Jack russells a Golden and 2 Chi's and they all know to leave the chickens don't even think about trying to get them or anything for that fact because that is the way I have trained them.

The neighbor trained his dog to get small animals just to kill them. If he comes back over here again I will be letting him know in certain terms he is not welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thoughts for your little Brahma...I'm so sorry she got injured. I agree with all the above. My chickens will usually eat our leftovers....they just love rice and pieces of bread. Just don't feed them anything with onions or garlic as the taste of it will come out in the eggs.

Pasta! Really.
default_smile.png
Our chickens LOVED pasta. Just cook, drain and cool. No sauce needed. They ate most of our leftovers. We also lost a couple to a neighbor's dog, it's aggravating. Good luck with your little one.

my hens love to steel the horses feed. Just because it isn't theirs. They get tons of scratch.

Squeeky is doing much better today. Eating well, she's had crickets, mealworms, oatmeal, watermelon and drinking water well. She is standing for longer periods of time. I am hoping she is through the worst of it and turning the corner to healing. She is so tolerant of having her water therapy and getting her meds. She is so bruised. Hoping it is all down hill from here and she recovers quickly. I can't believe how resiliant she is. Going to make her some rice and pasta for dinner tonight, lol.

I'm so glad she's doing better! I hope the good healing and cooperative spirit continues. Thanks for the update!

Eating and drinking well sounds like she is on the road to recovery! Think she'll be spoiled from eating all the "fancy" food your giving her!? LOL How about a picture of the convalescent?

Bugs, Watermelon/Melons ( water and sugar for nurishment), and believe it or not mice. When I clean out my coops the chickens dive and fight after mice, but I don't know if they would like a dead one. Yuck... Hope your chicken feels better.

Mine eat just about any thing. One thing they really like is plain yogurt. And yes they do love mice. I have 2 dogs thst are my mousers. They kill them then the chickens fight over them. It's really funny to watch them play keep away with a mice.

My little Brahma chicken is well on her way to recovery. Eating everything offered. All her injuries are healing well. She is walking really well now with just a bit of a limp. I am so pleased that she has made it through this and it sure has been a learning experience for me. Chickens are really neat. It is funny when I am taking care of her, feeding, clean her crate etc. she makes this little chortling sound as if she is happy. Here are a couple pictures of her from Sunday. She looks much better as of yesterday, she is preening again and cleans herself up after I mess her feathers when giving her meds. She eats her crickets and mealworms from a cup, lol. They all look so much a like I hope when I put her back out I will be able to tell which one she is. Going to keep her in until she is completely healed due to flies but also so she is able to move as well as the others. I dont want anyone picking on her.

IMG00364-20100718-1840.jpg

IMG00366-20100718-1841.jpg

What a pretty little girl! So glad she is doing better.
aktion033.gif

Is she a small chicken or are the Brahmas big ones? Are they a friendly breed? I may have to add a couple of them to my new flock if they don't get too big.

Aww isn't she pretty! I'm so glad she is going to be O.K. We only have 1 chicken and he is huge, mine LOVES dog food! he is my big dogs shadow... probably why is so huge since he was raised on Large breed puppy food LOL!

Back