Foaling with Little Bag?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgurl_up

Reaction score
Ok, I am an avid reader, not an often poster. I'm wondering how many of you have had mares foal with no bag or not much of one?

I have a mare that I bought last fall who was pasture bred, she could be as late as 317 days today and I'm betting based on her belly size and everything else that she is close to that mark or at least over 300 days. She has had udder changes in the past three weeks, mainly changing from loose and flappy, to feeling "thicker", to having a tiny tiny bag, nothing to really note. She has also gotten a large edema or milk vein in front of her udder. We have moved her and my other pasture bred mare in the barn at night and have a camera up just to keep an eye on them.

Yesterday it was raining so the girls stayed inside. The barn was quite all day with no noted activity. I went out about 5:30 to feed, walked in to her stall being half soaked (no leaks from the rain), she was wet and messy on both sides from laying in it, upon cleaning her stall I find 5 cow pies, baby is kicking up a storm(which is actually a first for this one, it has been a quite foal), she was doing a bit of yawning also/flipping her upper lip back. Checked her bag, nothing. Got everything clean and fed. She ate her grain but picked at her hay. She would go stand for a bit then go up and eat a bit more hay, then go back to standing. She dozed most of the night and laid down. This morning she is bright eyed, eating, had normal stool. Crazy mare!!! It's nice out today with sun shining so turned her out with the rest of the mares but she can be seen from the house easily. No unusual behavior, just munching away with everyone else.

She has not had fescue at all to my knowledge, has always foaled in a pasture so these settings are a bit different to her but she doesn't seem uncomfortable and since being with me she has been stalled in the past. I have no foaling records on her from her previous home so it's all up in the air.

So who else has had a mare that tends to get a bag either right before or after foaling? Ever had problems with it? I'm watching for all of the other signs, maybe she is just one of those mares that waits to get her bag? She will most likely keep me waiting another month since I'm watching so close!!

Thanks for the thoughts and advice!

i have had several who never produced a bag and then some who only bag up in the last 12hrs and then some who bag up for weeks.

ive even had 1 last year who continued to eat as foaling ..... you can clearly see the head out.

if your mare has always foaled out in a pasture then maybe she will hold on until she gets out

DSCF0378.JPG

These darn mares that forget to read the book!

i have had several who never produced a bag and then some who only bag up in the last 12hrs and then some who bag up for weeks.

ive even had 1 last year who continued to eat as foaling ..... you can clearly see the head out.

if your mare has always foaled out in a pasture then maybe she will hold on until she gets out
Yours obviously wasn't going to miss a mouthful. Great photo by the way should go into the "except" section of the foaling book.

Oh wow! That is a very interesting picture!!! I know these mares are unpredictable and I swear do these things just to keep us on our toes but I sure hope my mare does give me a little bit more of a warning!

Back