foaling question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKG miniatures

Reaction score
I lost 2 out of 3 foals last year (between flooding and slime it was tough)
default_no.gif
and want to be proactive this year. I already have a barn cam but am wondering about the sensors that you place on the mare that alert you when they lay down. Which ones do you recommend? I know they be annoying but much less than losing foals.

We've used Breeder Alert for many years and it has been a very reliable system. They now have redesigned it and it's even better.

You can often find used systems on the Sale Board also.

I can't even count the number of foals this system has saved for us.

Whatever you get I'm sure it will bring you peace of mind and a much better foaling record.

Happy Foaling!

Charlotte

I know some people use a halter buzzer that buzzes when a mare lays down. You'd need a camera with sound to use that one. I am very much partial to the Breeder Alert and Equipage systems. Nothing that bothers the mare. She just has to wear a halter with a transmitter which makes no sound for her. The transmitter sends a signal to a pager that the operator has or dials your phone. These systems have saved countless foals for me!
default_smile.png

If you have a lot of flooding during foaling season (we do every year) get some e coli antitoxin paste. Give it to your foals when they are born and you can avoid the whole e coli (diarhea) drama. Its been a life saver here. We have now used it 2 years in a row and have much less problems.

I use the Equipage system, also has saved foals for us. Yes we have some false alarms, esp with mares who like to lay down and sleep prone all night
default_rolleyes.gif
but it's well worth it and infinitely better than trying to stay awake all night every night lol. Both systems are good, and I imagine are priced similarly.

Jan

Our foaling record is not much different from yours, even with a cam, MareStare and some type of sensor on the mare. We used the foal buzzers first (cost about $55) with a baby monitor and the camera, and that is OK as long as you stay within range of the baby monitor. For about ten times the price, I now use the EquiPage system with pager (rather than the phone dialer) and feel it is worth every penny. The pager will work anywhere on our property and alerts me when the mare goes down. A quick look at the camera - or the mare - to see if it is for real or not. Of course, I am still a nervous wreck, but this and Mare Stare is a HUGE help.

The other thing about the baby monitor system, is that you hear ALL the barn noises, including those made by horses NOT on camera. I had to go out to the barn several times in the night to see who was munching hay at 3 AM (Ruby) or who was playing with their stall toys (Buckshot). And all the horses get to hear the foal buzzer too. Neither is the case with the EquiPage, so everyone can sleep better.

I am going to be relying on watching the camera from inside the house in combination with the Mother Nature's milk test strips. You use them twice per day and from what I've been reading - they are very accurate and tell you that she will foal within 12-24 hours within testing.

Money has been pretty tight so I do not forsee getting anough money to get a breeder alert or equipage system (both of which I really like) this year. Maybe next year
default_biggrin.png

I do plan on sleeping the barn quite alot, though. Especially when the milk strips get closer to the side that says she's getting close to foaling!

We purchased an equipage and a camera and both are worth every penny. Much better than 'the old days' running abck and forth every 15 min to the barn. You can still miss things, but have a much better chance of catchng the 'sneaky' girls.

If you have a lot of flooding during foaling season (we do every year) get some e coli antitoxin paste. Give it to your foals when they are born and you can avoid the whole e coli (diarhea) drama. Its been a life saver here. We have now used it 2 years in a row and have much less problems.
I'm happy to hear about this product! My 3-week old filly has diareah again this morning after having it during the mare's heat last week. It's very wet here, too, and I have had to restrict her 'outside' time. I'll be ordering some today! Thanks for the information!

Pam

Pam,

E coli Endotox is an oral vaccine that you have to give to new foals before they are 12 hours of age. So, it may not help your filly at this point. What I would suggest is BioSponge if you haven't tried that. Wonderful stuff!

Thanks for the paste info - another thing to add to the foaling box since I plan on early 2010 babies, during our rainy season.

I use the Equiphone system and it is priceless!!! As a teen I remember sleeping in a trailer next to the foaling stalls (Arabians) and we slept through several foalings only 10 feet away
default_wacko.png
Or stayed awake countless nights staring at mares that didn't foal for weeks
default_wacko.png
I still don't get much sleep cause I'm always afraid someone will have a problem without setting off the alarm (and I have a mare that likes to foal standing up) but I can get some sleep and feel more at ease.

I found my Equiphone on the saleboard very reasonably. Maybe put a post that you are looking for a reliable used one and name your price range? You never know, someone might have one collecting dust.

Latest posts

Back