Foaling Out Questions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hill Haven Farms

Reaction score
I had a request from a woman who was interested in having me foal out her 3 mares. I don't mind doing it, have the space and LOVE the babies....Has anyone ever had their horses foaled out by a different farm? If so did you have to pay a boarding fee separate from the foaling out fee? Do you mind sharing the ball park prices? I honestly don't have any idea as to a fair and reasonable fee....Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here. I am wanting to be fair to her...Any suggestions are welcome. Her mini's are pets and had a separate farm foal them out the last 3 years, but the place she used to use isn't doing it anymore.

Thanks again and in advance for any help!

My friend John runs a large Miniature horse boarding facility. If mare is bred and he foals it out. I really don't think he charges any extra. He calls the owners, who must supply there own foaling kit. He is really great at what he does.

My vet foals horses out, and due to a surgery I am having I may send one mare to be foaled out, but I will see how I feel. He charges a flat rate of $1000 for board, meds and his fees. So I really think it varies by facility.

Just make sure you don't get shortchanged.

We are doing it for the first time this year.

You just need to have a good and detailed contract with everything spelled out so there aren't any surprises for anyone. And be prepared to LOSE SLEEP!
default_laugh.png

I have 'watched' mares for people before when the owners had to be out of town, but this is the first time I took one for the whole duration. I find I am way more stressed over another person's horse than I am over my own.

Frank and I have been talking about doing more of this though. Oh! Facility. You have to have sufficient facility and equipment for extra mares. Stalls, safe turn out areas, one for each mare by herself, etc. .......and you have to know that a skilled attendant will be with the mare at all times. No trips to the grocery store and such as that.

But the fun of assisting a new life into the world.......
default_wub.png

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back