Foaling out mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood Farms

Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone here foals out mares for other people, and what you charge. Does it vary if there are complications? Boarding fees included in foaling out price?

Any input would be great, Thanks

I've foaled out mares for other people, three different friends over the years, but I haven't charged anything for it. It was just "doing a favor" for friends since they needed it.
default_smile.png
I wouldn't want to do it professionally, personally. A lot of responsibility (and lost sleep, lol!)

Those I know that do foaling out charge anywhere from $250 on up for their services. I don't think that complications add to the costs, though any and all required vet fees are of course the owners' responsibility. I would think that the length of time the mare is there would also affect the cost of the foaling out.

default_yes.gif
: Magic said it. Last I heard, it was at least $250 and up.

We've also foaled out a couple of times for friends at no charge. Don't know if I would do it again, though....when you consider all the possible things that could go wrong.

MA

In our area (Northern CA) foaling out runs about $350.00. Board, vet care, etc. extra.

If you have the set up - cameras, alerts, etc., and are experienced in handling the myriad of potential foaling problems - it's a great service to offer to other breeders.

I have foaled out horses for others for quit a few years now. I have a few here right now I am foaling out for others. I dont charge, these are all friends of mine, who I do think could do it themselves, but feel a little more comfortable because I do have the cameras and a equipage. Foaling rates in our area go for $300.00...there is only one stable I know of that does it (standard size) I would not want to do it for "outsiders" there is just to much that can go wrong. Corinne

I agree with the others. If I charged it would be $300. It is a huge responsibility and use of time energy and emotions. I have foaled out for friends at my place and also gone to their place when it is time. I prefer the latter. They can lose the sleep and I just come when they have white milk.

thanks for your responses. I was very curious, since not many people do foal out mares due to risks. I know I have birthed dystocias with legs back, red bags, just plain stuck, and managed to get a hip locked foal out. And I too have foaled out mares as favors before.

Alicia

I have only done it for a good friend and naturally did it free of charge.

Joyce

I have farm sat for people while they were at horse shows and been on foal watch - and even did foal out a few mares that way. Did this for free as they did the same for me. I had their vet's phone number to call if there were any questions/complications. Was fortunate that the foalings were pretty normal.

I have inquired about places who will foal out - most charge a per day rate for the board of the mare and then on top of that charge a foaling out fee (in the $250 - $350 amount range).

Latest posts

Back