Foaling Mares.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat_in_the_hat72

Reaction score
I am currently looking at buying a mare who will be due in the next month to month and a half. Being in Illinois I know it can still be plenty cold that time of year. Anyone in a colder climate have foals arrive this early? Any suggestions on how to keep the foal warm? My friend that will be the one foaling her out said she could set up a heat lamp. How long will they need supplemental heat before they will be ok on their own? Any additional ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brenda

You might consider a foal blanket. We have a couple nice fleece ones that we bought at a discount store that are actually for dogs. They fit quite well until they unfold and then they may need a real mini foal blanket, depending on the size of the baby. Be careful that it fits snug enough that they can't get their leg caught in it or something like that.

A nice warm barn that isn't drafty helps. Stall curtains?

Deep bedding helps too.

A deep bedding of straw for the foal to sleep in and a heat lamp high enough so that the mare doesn't bang into it. The foal will find this source of heat very quickly.

Ken

Sorry but nix the heat lamp!!! We don't need to hear about another barn fire!

If you have a way to keep the foal out of drafts, get it dry, and some warm colostrum in it's tummy, a good warm deep bedded stall, and an attentive mare, you should be fine. I blanket is also of great value. You can even make one, in a pinch, from a baby blanket or a piece of fleece. Even a sweatshirt with the sleeves cut out, especially a kids shirt with a zipper, works well. But please do NOT use a heat lamp! JMO

If you use a sweatshirt with a zipper, be sure to zip it on top. A hand towel between the zipper and the little one will keep the zipper off the baby's back as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dry foal TOTALLY with hair dryer.

Were I to have electricity that would be an excellent suggestion AJ
default_smile.png

I dry the foal off completely, and put a little blanket on it- I make them out of sweat pants legs- then get the colostrum down it and get it snuggled up in the straw. An hour later I change the blanket just in case the foal was slightly damp, and put on a completely dry one, and a top blanket if necessary.

CAUTION!!!!

Do NOT use a blanket that has been on another foal!!!

Do NOT use a brightly coloured blanket - for the first few days at least stick to neutral colours- think about it- the mare just gave birth to what may well be her first foal and you

a) Change the colour of the foal from Cream to bright Pink

b) Change the smell of the foal to that of another foal

NOT good
default_smile.png

I have not personally had a mare have ant problems with either but I do know there are people on here who have.

On the basis that it is better to avoid a crisis than to cope with one, all my blankets will be freshly washed and sparkly clean, and they are all neutral colours anyway!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
All good recommendations above.....

At this time of year it takes a newborn a little longer to regulate their own body heat -- anywhere from 24 to 48 hours.

We did a little study one year and took every newborn's temp right after birth. They all had below normal temperatures. By the next day, most of them had normal temps. A few took a little longer.

MA

A deeply bedded stall that is free from drafts works great. We do use a heat lamp in the stall, but only while we are there. Don't want to take any chances! Dry the foal off with clean towels, and blanket with a fleece foal blanket.

Excellent suggestions from everyone!

Good point on the blanket color Rabbitsfizz.... I forgot to mention that we have the foal blanket on the wall of the stall for a while ahead of time and put it on the mare too. This way it has her smell on it. Good heads-up though and people should watch for rejection/confusion due to the blanket.

I think foals born in the colder months tend to have heavier coats anyway.

I had a foal born Jan. 11, 2005 and I live up here in northern Wisconsin. My stall was knee deep in bedding, and our barn normally stays right above the freezing mark, (I know that because my water never freezes in the barn, but sometimes gets a very light film over it) after I dried her off, I used sweatshirts, on my tiny foal, and she was always nice and comfy with no problems. I would never use a heat lamp in a barn. Corinne

Kaglo heater - along with what was already posted.

Thank you so much for all the replies. We'll nix the heat lamp, saves on the electric bill anyways. Figured we'd try a tarp over the top of the stall to keep some it warmer in there, plus lots of straw. Just worry about having a little one and it getting cold. With this being my first baby I'm probably way over worried anyways. Just want to do all I can to make sure things go smoothly.

Thanks

Brenda

We generally don't have foals sooner than early March here in Eastern Wyoming or in Northern Colorado before the big move..but we do bed deeply, use clean foal coats and toddler sweatshirts on the front AND back legs and I cut the sleeves off another sweatshirt to make a neck warmer..blankets never come up far enough on the neck lol Getting colostrum in as soon as the foal has it's balance and legs figured out and warm them from the inside out is great too. Altho our barn has radiant heat we don't turn it on much as the the foals are usually pretty darn hairy and too hot is worse than too cold! We also use heated towels to dry off the foal and mom, and have her a blanket ready too..if she's cold from the stress of birthing or still a bit damp she's won't be too comfy to look after baby and it's nursing attempts and we want all her attention on the new foal!

That said I have two due any time..one from TX where they breed nearly year round..yikes! Be careful where you buy a bred mare, if she's from the tropics and you aren't prepared !

Good Luck!

Just want to reply about the tarp which IMO wouldnt be a good idea. The tarp could retain condensation which in turn could drip back onto the mare and foal. I only bring this up as we lost a calf in exactly this way we were trying to make it warmer but ended up with a calf with pneumoia that we ultimately lost. I know foals and mares do not create the same heat as do cows and calves but a tarp over the top could create more of a problem than not. JMO.

OK, this is a little out there, but here goes.....

A friend of mine runs a pet store and they have these reptile heating pads there that work really great. They come in different sizes, they look like black rubber mats about 1/8th of an inch thick, they are water-proof, and they max out at about 75 degrees so they don't get too hot. Anyway, my friend mounts one that is about 15" by 24" at ground level on the wall. The little foals can snuggle up against it when they lay down. It doesn't take them long to find it and they really seem to like it at night. Just a thought! Linda

I have a couple of foal rugs but they are usually too big for new borns so buy jumpers from second hand shops and cut off the sleeves.......LOVE rabbits idea about the legs of jogging bottoms!! never thought of that!! Thanks for your helpful hints rabbits fizz.....wouldnt have thought of the colour thing either!! :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back