Foaling early? Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lena1

Reaction score
Am wondering how early is too early for a foal to survive. My mare is 302 days and showing signs of foaling, bagged up, kicking at belly, stretching and becoming restless. Her previous owner said that she nearly always foals around 4 weeks early (has had 5 foals).But I'm concerned if right now is TOO early.
default_unsure.png
: This will be our first baby so am a little anxious about an early foal. Can anyone advise?

Karen

Central Coast, NSW

302 days is not too early for a viable foal. It is possible to have a premature foal at that stage of gestation, but not always. Just be prepared for a little extra care if it is. Such as keeping the foal warm/cool depending on the temps where you are and making sure it is nursing.

More than likely all will go well. Good luck and keep us posted!

Some mares seem to be more uncomfortable than others. She may still foal closer to the 320 days that is average for a miniature. Some mares seem to cook their foals faster than others.

It is normal to have some udder development at this stage. As Becky said, the important thing is to watch her and be there for her should she foal early. Premature foals have very short hair and need extra care for the first few weeks.

My smaller mares have always foaled close to 300 days....one mare has never made it to that mark and has beautiful babies, healthy and full term. Some just cook them faster
default_yes.gif
:

Like Becky said, the foal will "look" premie or not by the actions, hair, etc. I suspect your mare is just one who carries closer to 10 months.

One of mine foaled at 302 days last year, all well and fine :bgrin

Same mare is only at day 276 now, has thickening of udder tissue (not milk), and last week was showing a very V'd belly :new_shocked: I expect she will hold on until a bit closer, I'm not too worried at this stage as she did similar things last time. She's a very short backed mare, and everything is bulging out the sides and down below :bgrin

Hi Karen

Where on the Coast are you located? I am at Lake Munmorah
default_smile.png

Like the others have said, i wouldnt be too concerned just yet. Keep an eye on her and make sure you are there for the foaling to give extra attention if needed, but if she has a history of going early and her babies are ok, then i wouldnt be too concerned.

Hope everything turns out ok, and you have a healthy baby real soon!
default_smile.png

Renee

All mares carry different, 302 days is not too early! If she has a history of delivering 4 weeks early, then I would get my foaling kit out and get ready for the baby!
default_yes.gif
:

Good Luck

Bill

One of mine foaled at 302 days last year, all well and fine :bgrin

Same mare is only at day 276 now, has thickening of udder tissue (not milk), and last week was showing a very V'd belly :new_shocked: I expect she will hold on until a bit closer, I'm not too worried at this stage as she did similar things last time. She's a very short backed mare, and everything is bulging out the sides and down below :bgrin
Ohh what a relief. Thankyou all for putting my mind at ease. I think youre right Joanne, re uncomfortable, she is very big. We keep telling her to hold on a bit longer as we are in the middle of an Equine Flu epidemic. Shall now play the waiting game (with much excitement) :lol:

Karen

Hi Karen

Where on the Coast are you located? I am at Lake Munmorah
default_smile.png

Like the others have said, i wouldnt be too concerned just yet. Keep an eye on her and make sure you are there for the foaling to give extra attention if needed, but if she has a history of going early and her babies are ok, then i wouldnt be too concerned.

Hope everything turns out ok, and you have a healthy baby real soon!
default_smile.png

Renee

Hi Renee

We live at Woongarrah (Warnervale). I love your horses, am totally in love with Malibu Barbie
default_wub.png
:

Im very new to Minis so was looking foward to geting out & about to some shows, but looks like like I'll have have to wait now. This Flu thing is just so huge. I've put myself in voluntary lockdown. The effect it is having on all equine industry workers, farriers, breeders of course ect... is just devastating. Even the Rescue organisations have there hands tied. A Lady that lives next to my daughters school (Warnervale) reported a case of cruelty to the R__CA (sorry not sure if Im allowed to name the org here in the forum). 2 horses were in a paddock next to the school. They were badly malnourished just skin & bone, no one has ever been seen there tending to them, water trough bone dry and nothing but dirt and trees. This organization would normally seize these horses but because of the transporting ban and risk of transmitting flu to other horses they were put down
default_sad.png

Am praying it has finnished spreading and life can get back to normal soon.

How many foals are you expecting this year?

Karen

302 days is well within the norm for miniatures. You can have a premature or 'dismature' foal at just about any length of gestation, but our mares foal in the range of 290-350 and all have been quite normal except one that required assistance with keeping her warm and waking her every hour to nurse. She just wanted to sleep, but once we got her into a warm room she became much more normal in her behavior.

It sounds like you're gona have a baby!
default_yes.gif
:

Good luck and please post pix as soon as 'she' gets here!

Charlotte

Sounds like that is her normal foaling gestation and that you'll have a new baby soon
default_smile.png

My mares tend to foal from 292 to 328 days. But MOST of mine go around 305 or so. It's just normal for them. They spoiled me, so that when I had a new mare go 350 this year, it was hard waiting that long! LOL

Latest posts

Back