foaling age of mare as per AMHA & AMHR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
I had a discussion with someone yesterday in regards to what a mares age must be when the foal is born for that said foal to be registered with the AMHA and AMHR (granted both parents are registered.

I was under the belief that the mare had to reach its actual 3rd birthday before the foal was born for it to be registered. She was under the impression it had to be the mares third calander year (as in they turn a year older as of January 1st) for the foal to be registered.

This got me to thinking, So which is it and is it the same for each registry? While most of you wait to breed your mares, I am still curious about this. If a mare turned 3 in September but foaled in August can the foal still be registered?.........

Carolyn

I get confused about AMHR rules.

But I can tell you that AMHA has no age related rules about foaling.

Susan O.

I get confused about AMHR rules.But I can tell you that AMHA has no age related rules about foaling.

Susan O.
That just leaves me dumbfounded about the AMHA. I think the majority of horse registries have restrictions on the breeding age of an animal. I knew there was not an age for a colt/stallion, but didn't realize that was also true for a mare/filly. With all the clout the AMHA holds in the mini horse world, and all the resrictions on height, you would think something would be on the books in regards to breeding, especially since it would be in the best interest of the horse.

I am still looking for the anwer in regards to the AMHR, if anyone knows, please feel free to comment on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Carolyn,

Go to the ASPC/AMHR rulebook (hard copy or on line). Page 243 & 244....

No Miniature foal may be registered out of a Sire or Dam unless BOTH have reached their (3rd) Third Birthday (Birthday as of January1st) during the

foaling year.

Karen

Karen,

I have a question for you.

I had a filly born this year out of a double registered mare (AMHA/AMHR) and by a double registered stallion (AMHA/AMHR).

But the stallion was only a yearling when he bred the mare so only turned 2 in March of this year instead of 3.

I know the filly can't be registered AMHR, even though I had been under the impression that she could be if I waited to register her until the stallion turned 3 next year but found out later she could not.

At any rate, now that I know the rule, my question is, when I go to make her AMHR by using her AMHA papers,

will AMHR put her AMHR parents' numbers and names on her papers since she does have both AMHR parents, and I even sent in a stud report on my little stallion last year?

Thanks!

Susan O.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Susan,

I would say no because of hardshipping into AMHR with her AMHA papers. Even though she had AMHR parents, she was conceived/foaled by a parent that didn't qualify according to the AMHR Rules. My suggestion would be to talk with Zona Schneider at the Registry and get her opinion on it since she is the Director of Operations.

Karen

Thanks for the info, I was looking on the AMHR site for the handbook/rule book, finially found the link on the lower left side of the page,

thanks again,

Carolyn

I Haven't read the AMHA rule book in a while but I thought that as far as the mare goes the rule was similar to AMHR. The mare has to be 3 when she has a foal to regiter the resulting foal. (as of Jan. 1 of the year). I am not sure of the stud? I know that a yearling stud can breed a mare but I thought that in both registries that the foal could NOT be registered. I would like to know the answer also! (Guess this means that I am too lazy to look it up! LOL!!!!!!!)

I Haven't read the AMHA rule book in a while but I thought that as far as the mare goes the rule was similar to AMHR. The mare has to be 3 when she has a foal to regiter the resulting foal. (as of Jan. 1 of the year). I am not sure of the stud? I know that a yearling stud can breed a mare but I thought that in both registries that the foal could NOT be registered. I would like to know the answer also! (Guess this means that I am too lazy to look it up! LOL!!!!!!!)
I also though theor were requirements for the mares, but I know the AMHA has no limitations on the age of a colt/stallion
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back