Foal with "undiagnosed" respiratory issues.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mulligans Run

Reaction score
We have a foal that at one week of age came into the barn with a 109.5 fever and rapid breathing/heart rate. She was rushed to UGA where she stayed two weeks. They ran every test possible on her - they said her x-rays are opaque and her breathing is labored (oxygen level 65%) They are leaning toward interstitial Pneumonia, only because of the symptoms...they have nothing conclusive.

Has anyone had any experience with this?? Rose is bright, alert, runs, bucks, kicks, eats, poops and acts totally normal except for her breathing. We are keeping her in our a/c garage to assist with her breathing since our weather is in the upper 90's. When we took her and mom outside this afternoon Rosie ran and ran and ran and ran to the point that I had to take her back inside to make her stop. I don't want her to overdue.

She is on steroids, antibiotics, herbal tea and I'm using a vibrating massager on her sides to help break up the junk in her lungs.

I have heard that several other people have had an issue with foals and respiratory issues similar to this. I'd love to hear their stories.

You can see Rosie live on cam at www.marestare.com/rosie.htm. The lights in the garage are off after midnight.

I had a foal here several years ago who was born with severe pneumonia. She was treated wtih Naxcel, and was given Lasix IV a couple of times to help dry her lungs out. The Lasix apparently dropped her blood pressure,and she started fainting, sort of like the foals who faint with stimulation, but so much worse. She was just trying to get up one occasion, and she fainted 50 + times before she actually was able to rise. I was ready to call the vet back to come and end her suffering, but then she got to her feet and was running and bucking. She wanted to live. She also received Pulma ? something every day, I can't remember what it was called. It seemed like we weren't making enough progress, so we started doing nebulizer treatments on her, just the same as you would with a baby with asthma or whatever. She learned to lay in our laps while she got her treatment. When the nebulizer was done, we would thump her sides to help break up junk. She hated that part. The vet didn't think she had much chance of surviving, but she was a fighter, and somehow she pulled through, but I have to say it took many weeks of treatment.

It sounds like your foal is doing pretty well now. Best wishes for a full recovery for her.

Karen

We have a foal that at one week of age came into the barn with a 109.5 fever and rapid breathing/heart rate. She was rushed to UGA where she stayed two weeks. They ran every test possible on her - they said her x-rays are opaque and her breathing is labored (oxygen level 65%) They are leaning toward interstitial Pneumonia, only because of the symptoms...they have nothing conclusive.

Has anyone had any experience with this?? Rose is bright, alert, runs, bucks, kicks, eats, poops and acts totally normal except for her breathing. We are keeping her in our a/c garage to assist with her breathing since our weather is in the upper 90's. When we took her and mom outside this afternoon Rosie ran and ran and ran and ran to the point that I had to take her back inside to make her stop. I don't want her to overdue.

She is on steroids, antibiotics, herbal tea and I'm using a vibrating massager on her sides to help break up the junk in her lungs.

I have heard that several other people have had an issue with foals and respiratory issues similar to this. I'd love to hear their stories.

You can see Rosie live on cam at www.marestare.com/rosie.htm. The lights in the garage are off after midnight.

Considering her breathing, she does "feel" pretty good to me Heather. Keep doing what you are and out special thing too and I will keep sending the Reiki. I hope Tracy sees this, her Keena got better, you should see her now! Have you considered clipping her all over? Is she nibbling feed now too?

Thanks guys! And yes, Dimi, she's nibbling on hay and eating some of mom's food. She is so solid - I can't believe it. She was a chunk when she left but now she's really getting fat. Our local vet said it could be the steroids. Ihope they don't cause any long term ill effects on her.

Working on our stuff now Dimi
default_yes.gif
: She's a fighter...I hope I can keep her that way. She's such a sweetheart and so nosey. :D

i hope a lot of people read this post!! this time of year is when you will see foal pnemonia at its worst. I was always told by ISU its due to the extreme heat of late summer which makes bacteria everywhere. since foals are lowest to the ground this is always when you see it. Late july thru Aug.

I hate to hear that it's so prevalent. I hope no one else experiences this - ever. We had a foal with pneumonia last year from blowing bubbles in the water trough. He was a hoot.

They have tested Rose for bacterial and viral issues and she is clean. This is just baffling everyone. But I have gotten some great emails and I'm very grateful.

Keep it coming. :aktion033:

Latest posts

Back