Rough start to foaling season at Azariah

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie/Azariah

Reaction score
I have been trying to decide if I want to post or not...

I had a rough start to foaling season yesterday. A much anticipated foal. Her full sister is a beauty and I was hoping for the same again.

Our Mare Ebony was at day 318 and usually delivers in the late 320s. She had no significant bag... only about half full, but no milk. She was showing NO signs that she was ready. I have had her several years and she is always very easy to tell when she is going to deliver.

She set off the breeder alert several times during the night, normal for her at this point. Went right to her breakfast and finished it. And while I was turning the other horses out I came into the barn to hear her whinny in a very different, distressed whinny (thank goodness I really know my horses) I checked on her and she had already been down, and was trying to push.

Thank goodness my hubby was home working on some internet issues so I felt in her and figured out we had problems, dialed the phone for the vet and ran into the house (not far from the barn) handed him the phone and asked him to come help. He talked with the vet while I worked. What I found was hind legs, no movement of the foal and the hind legs were sideways... a sideways breech birth.

At first I just couldn't think... but once I took a deep breath I was able to think through what I needed to do. Once I figured out the position of the foal, I twisted and wiggled til I got the hips out. The rest wasn't easy, but I was able to get her out. They already had Dr. Erin, her assistant Lisa and a helper on the way (when I call and say I need urgent help, they KNOW they had better get a team here) and they had Dr. Boyd headed here too. The first team was here within 10 min and when I got the foal out, we called the clinic to stop Dr. Boyd from heading... but I wanted Dr. Erin to check momma since the delivery was rough and she was weak.

Her hind end had been buckling but I think it may have been because of the position of the baby laying on nerves. She was trembling and her temperature was quite low, but she passed her placenta normally. I left the filly in with her for a while and she at first nickered and licked, then realized she wasn't moving... nipped her lips and picked her head up and when the filly didn't respond she knew and left her alone. She wanted to lay right beside her so I left her there for a bit.

After watching her for several hours I took her outside because it was warmer out there while I cleaned her new stall and stripped and disinfected the stall she had delivered in. She looked for her filly, but not much... went out and rolled around and stood in the sun.

I wanted to put her in a different stall to so she wouldn't have to smell the smells of a new foal.

Last evening, after banamine and a good grooming ( really can't do it up right (grooming) until Friday when the temps get to around 70) she went to happily munching on her hay. Though she called a few times, she was very quiet and content.

As I went about my chores last night there was a heaviness. But I have been in this long enough to know it happens and it is so tough, but I look forward to our next foals (though VERY nervous) and the joy they will bring me.

I have 3 other mares (here for me to foal... not my mares) on the cameras and one of mine ready to put in a camera stall as soon as one of these 3 deliver. Two were very active last night, so hopefully soon I will have a little one to hug!

((hugs))
default_no.gif
Glad you posted it will help you heal and help others understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear of your loss! But thank goodness you were there to help Ebony. It's good that you posted - there is so much support here on this forum! God bless you and your Ebony and pray for normal deliveries for the rest of the mares in your care.

I am so sorry to hear this. I know it doesn't offer much comfort, but it is a blessing you still have your mare, which I am relieved to hear.

((((HUGS))))

Thank you Caroline! I feel VERY BLESSED to have my Ebony today. I know, if I had not been watching, had I not been home and she was like that all day, she would not have survived. There is no way she could have gotten that little filly out herself. I have lost a mare and foal during foaling before and know how horrible it is to lose both. I just thank the Lord that everything happened the way it did and I can still enjoy my sweet mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry, Julie, and I can certainly relate to what you are going through. Those that have been breeding miniature horses for any length of time experience a foaling loss at some point or another.

I lost my first foal of the season this year, too, but the first live foal more than made up for it. Hang in there. It will get better!

Sorry for your loss, but sometimes it can help to talk about your experience, and so glad you where there and your mare is fine, thanks for sharing.
default_no.gif

So sorry....no matter how many times you've been through it this never gets any easier. Glad your mare is healing.
default_smile.png

jan

Sorry you lost your foal, I know your disappointment & sorrow. Glad to hear your mare is doing well.

So sorry to hear this Julie. One of our favorite mares who is the dam of two of our favorite driving horses delivered a dead breech colt two years ago. We rebred her for a foal this year hoping it was a fluke and praying for another wonderful filly like her others. Unfortunately, she delivered another breech colt last week. The cord ripped inside her and he was brain dead at birth. We are not going to breed her again.

We have one more mare due and we, like you are praying for a healthy happy foal to love.

Hugs,

Ruth

Just adding my heartfelt condolences for your loss and thankfulness that you still have your mare.

So sorry to hear this Julie. One of our favorite mares who is the dam of two of our favorite driving horses delivered a dead breech colt two years ago. We rebred her for a foal this year hoping it was a fluke and praying for another wonderful filly like her others. Unfortunately, she delivered another breech colt last week. The cord ripped inside her and he was brain dead at birth. We are not going to breed her again.

We have one more mare due and we, like you are praying for a healthy happy foal to love.

Hugs,

Ruth
Ruth, that is so sad. I'm sorry
default_sad.png

Hugs,

Ruth
Ruth, that is so sad. I'm sorry
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back