Foal with the runs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I have a foal that is 3 wks old. He started to get teh runs. I remember giving pepto or pepcid? But how much do I give? He is just a little guy!!!

Thanks

If I recall it is 10cc's of pepto bismol

but wait to be sure of other responses

I'm not sure if that is a foal or grown horse dose

sorry not much help

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a baby with the runs last year, and I gave probiotic paste for a couple of days(very small amounts twice a day). seemed to do the trick, but I'm not a vet, so you might want to check with your vet...good luck, and let us know how he does

I would just talk to your vet, depending on the reason for the runs it could be more serious. It doesnt take long for these little guys to go down from dehydration or anything else. You should talk to the vet and find out what is causing them and how to treat it. Just my opinion.

I use Bio Sponge. Even used it for Marbles after her surgery. I tried the Bio Sponge in the AM and the Bismol in the PM. Found the Bio Sponge worked rings around the bismol.

I have used it once or twice only for foals with foal heat runs and it clears them up right away.

To me Bio Sponge is GOLD!!

I never heard of Bio Sponge. Is it a pet med or a human med??

In addition to that, someone told me to use "Boudreaux's Butt Paste" on their little behinds to help keep the runs from burning him. I haven't needed it since I heard that but it makes sense. I now have a jar just in case anyone gets the runs.

We also use Bio-Sponge...recommended by our vet and it is wonderful for foal scours! We keep it on hand at all times. We bought it from our horse vet.

Steph

I never heard of Bio Sponge. Is it a pet med or a human med??

I have been at a horse show all day. So getting back to this late.

If you type in on Google search Bio Sponge, it will come up. I bought the big $95 container as it has no shelf life and as long as it is not wet, will last forever.

We have also been very happy with Bio Sponge. It also comes in a tube and you can give it in the first few hours after birth to try and avoid the foal scours later on.

Here is a link:

Bio sponge information

I ordered Biosponge my vet called and said to give 15 cc of Pepto. Isnt that a lot. I only gave 8 and we will see what happens.

I use the pepto, and BioSponge with good results. I also use Desitin (or similar) to keep the "bummer burn" to a minimum.

One more thought, if the foal is three weeks old, it might just be due to the mare's foal heat. If that is the case, it will clear up shortly on its own.

Lea, you don't need to buy a huge amount of Biosponge, it does come in syringes. It is a horse product and it is wonderful.

Robin

Back