Foal with funny poo,,,,,ideas?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
I have a week old foal who's poo is yellow in color and almost silly putty texture, kind of messy too I might add, on him. I have had foals who had something similiar to this, but it was usually gone in a day or two after birth, he will be a week tomorrow.

He is nursing well, and does not appear to have anything bothering him. Not showing any signs of pain or discomfort.

Have any ideas as to what may be causing it? Has been this way pretty much since he was born.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The color sounds okay however the texture sounds like he has been constipated. It should be looser consistency...I have one colt here that didn't poop for an entire day, he was quite uncomfortable and we gave enemas, watched him closely. When his high impaction (we think) resolved, the poop was like you say, sily putty consistency, and a light yellow (moms milk) color.

Frankie said:
I have a week old foal who's poo is yellow in color and almost silly putty texture, kind of messy too I might add, on him.  I have had foals who had something similiar to this, but it was usually gone in a day or two after birth, he will be a week tomorrow.He is nursing well, and does not appear to have anything bothering him. Not showing any signs of pain or discomfort.

Have any ideas as to what may be causing it? Has been this way pretty much since he was born.

Thanks for your thoughts.

420417[/snapback]

I have had this problem with a couple of foals and it seems to occure when the mare is in her foal heat. the consistency of the poo sounds a little too solid so you should make sure that the foal is not dehydrated. as long as the foal is nursing and getting enough milk it should be fine. sometimes it will take a week or a week and a half for the problem to clear up. if not you should consult your vet.

Latest posts

Back