Foal vaccine boosters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrescentMinis

Reaction score
Need advice please.....Charm is 11 months old. She had her first foal vaccines at just under 8 months of age, and I didn't realize then that a booster was needed, or I would have noted it on the calendar and had it done. So when we had the vet here a couple of weeks ago, she redid the vaccine and said I need to repeat it in 30 days b/c we waited too long between these.

Opinions please: do I really need to have her vaccinated again, or should she be protected with the initial set and then the second one 2 months later? I really like my vet, but she is of course in business to make a profit. I like to hear what is acceptable to more experienced horse people than myself, so that I can be educated and ask the right questions. Otherwise I suspect I might be paying for a few services that aren't truly necessary. I also do not want to take chances with the health of my herd, so am not afraid to spend the money, just want to be sure it is spent wisely!

The vaccines are labelled to be given 3-4 apart for the primary series. 8-10 weeks is too long and you do have to vaccinate her again in 30 days if you want her to be protected. I know it seems like a waste but if you don't do it then those and every vaccine you give for the rest of her life will be a waste of money as her initial immunity was not established so annual boosters are useless.

Thanks for the explanation, Michelle. I wasn't having a lot of luck finding those details when I googled, etc. before posting the question. I appreciate your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back