Foal timeline

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini123

Reaction score
I was wondering what your timeline is when your mare has a foal? When do you start halter breaking, putting them with the rest of the herd?Ect

I get them used to the sound, smell etc of the halter right away. I put it on the foal at about a month and teach leading. Then after about 2 wks of leading I put them in w the herd (other mares, foals etc). But the problem is how often do I have to keep doing the leading until they get used to it? Once they are in the herd it becomes harder esp if the mare is hard to catch. I do not bring them in at night. I can if I want to do the leading but how often?? Just trying to get an round about idea from other farms.

Ideally mine get to wear a halter for a few minutes at a time, about 2 times a day by a week old. At 2 weeks we put a lead on it and work on leading and I try to work at least 10 minutes a day every day for the first several weeks, till I know they are leading well. But I had my own little one in March and it hasn't quite gone that way this year. LOL They are still gentle and get worked with when I can get someone to sit with him and give me some free time. My mares go out with the heard at about a week or two after the foal is born. I just guage everyone different and see how they are adjusting to the foal and the mare and foal to them.

I would handle them as much as possible. Mine are stalled so when I've had foals they are handled every single day.

But, if they're not treated like horses (some people handle them like "babies") I'd rather just have a half-wild horse that respects me...

Latest posts

Back