foal stolen by another mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickisminis

Reaction score
I have 4 mares under camera with alarms on. So who foals????????? The nearly blind mare that had no signs other than dropping a little.

I was standing on the back deck watching the mares when I notice a foal laying by my round bale. After running outside to msee if it was okay Danny walks up to me and the filly and nuzzled the filly. She hops up and started to nurse. I was excited because I bought Danny exposed but didn't think see was expecting.

I go to let the other mares out to pasture so I can get the mare and baby settled and noticed my newly blind horse is now skinny, wet in the back and has a huge bag. So off to Danny I go. She has no bag (wet nipples) and dry with no signs of foaling. She took Sugars baby.......
default_no.gif

I have reintroduced Sugar and the filly but I am really scared. She was really nervous when the foal tried to nurse but eventually let her. She will let her nurse but it doesn't seem like she is bonded. She doesn't seem protective. She there anything I can do to help and what do I watch out for?

And what do I do about Danny she really wants that foal back?

Thanks I have never had this happen before.

Can some please explain to me how to post pictures here? I have gone to photo websites to try to shrink them but nothing works. Can you point in the direction of step by step dirrections. I am too computer stupid to figure it out on my own. I have read before that photo bucket (i think) does it for free but I could not figure it out. I got it to shrink my picture but not enough to post here.

I have never had that happen but I am sure when Mumma and babny are together alone she will begin to allow the baby to nurse and then bond well.

I might be able to post your pictures if you send them to me.

I am able to do my own so might be able to do yours.

Can you rub the placenta on the foal or even put it in the stall with them so that the foal has momma's smell back on her!!

~Tammy

Def put the mare and her foal in a stall away from the other mare, so not to confuse the foal.

Brush your blind mare and rub is all over the baby. Even put a small jingle bell on the foal for her momma.

Goodluck and keep them together, she needs her real momma.

go to www.photobucket.com

or your welcome to email me I can post it for you. [email protected]

I've had a mare who had just lost a foal try to steal another's baby, but mom put a quick stop to it before I could get to her myself. I would sure put your mare & foal away from the others at least for a few days to let them bond without interference.

I'm just "down the road" from you if I can help.
default_smile.png

Jan

Did baby nurse it's 'real' momma soon enough to get colostrum? If you have any doubt you sure want to get an IgG test run at about 12+ hours old.

Like everyone else said.........keep mom and baby seperated by themselves so they can bond.

Yes I have had mares that would steal foals. My first experience was an arab mare. If she didn't have a foal and an outside mare came in to be bred with foal at foot we had to lock my mare away where she couldn't see the baby or she was frantic to get that baby.

Now we have Dinah. She will steal a foal in a heartbeat if she doesn't have one. She will fight off the real mom. And she's VERY unhappy if mares have foals and she doesn't. It's a problem. But it can all be worked out

Good luck with your new little one.

Charlotte

I agree with everyone else that you should keep her seperate! And I second the idea to put a bell on the foal.

We have one mare that not only tried to steal a foal last year but we thought she was gonna kill the other mare to get it and of course we were worried she was gonna hurt the foal as well trying to get the mare! obviously we dont allow anyone to foal with her in the same pen anymore!

We have a going blind mare who foaled 4 months ago. I would put the baby back with the mom and I think all will be fine our mare was very dominant but of course the worse her eyesight gets the more submissive she is.

I am having the opposite problem of trying to tackle weaning soon with the least amount of stress on the mom.

I just went out to feed and shuffle everyone around.

The filly is doing fine, she gets up to nurse and mommy doesn't seem to mind at all anymore. When the baby came up to me mommy turned to look for her. Which is a big change from earlier, she didn't care what the baby did earlier. By how active she was earlier I think, but don't know if she was on mommy long enough . She is not as active as I would like so I will keep an eye on her tonight and take her in for a test tomorrow.

I have had that happen once. I put mare and foal alone for a few days. After that mom was so protective even I couldnt get near her.

Please try to get that Igg test asap. Those foals will seem fine and then go downhill very quickly. Sending good thoughts!

Kay

IgG test?? How do you do this?
Congrats... But sending prayers
default_sad.png
A blood sample is taken and tested. It is done by a vet or an experienced breeder. Experienced breeders sometimes use what is called a SNAP test (If I remembered the name correctly). All you have to do is call your vet, tell them you have a new foal that was born and you need an IGg test done. Typically a vet will check over the mare, check over the placenta to make sure it is intact, and check over the foal (temp, resp, heart) and draw blood.

Well I just got back from the vets. They said her tests were excellent except she has a temp and her white count were low. So an infection of some sort. She has been getting weaker so I left her there on IVs just to be safe. They said I could take her home on antibiotic but as weak as she was getting I didn't want to chance it.

When I picked her up to take her in she was like a wet noodle. I kept rubbing her and she finally focused. She has me really worried.

Im so sorry! This is why I was so worried as they go downhill in a blink of an eye. Im betting with the IV's she will bounce back. Sending prayers for her!

Kay

Latest posts

Back