foal shaving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1keegan

Reaction score
Ok, our foal is going to be in his first- and only show for the year, next weekend. Thanks for the great tips in getting him groomed up and ready. We tried to gently get him used to the clippers (we have only a dog clippers to work with) and today had a 'big horse' friend do the actual clipping. Only, the #7 blade we have didn't get him clipped down to the skin like most of the horses we saw at the last show. He's still covered in sort of a fuzz, about 1/4 inch long. At least it's even
default_smile.png

My question- is this OK?

He stood well for it all, EXCEPT for making a bridle path and his facial whiskers- we didn't get that done before our friend had to leave, so we'll need to tackle that and his first bath yet in the days to come.

Can you cut a bridle path with a scissors? (he doesn't seem to mind scissors)

thanks,

LG

You don't say if this is an AMHA show, AMHR show, or open type show?

It's "okay" to show your horse groomed however you want... you do NOT have to body clip ANY mini to show... but it's the "norm".

You can cut the bridle path with scissors, as long as it looks decent. I'd suggest a blunt-tipped pair in case your foal struggles, you don't want to accidentally stab him.

Pictures would help, so we can see what he looks like.

Generally, I'm not obsessive about grooming foals for the show ring... usually the judge will "use" an older horse for the Grand class... and it also depends on if your foal will stand still and set up and how much you've been working on that, too.

Showing can be stressful for foals, but I also think it's a good experience for them too... so just try to go and have fun.

Good luck,

Andrea

Latest posts

Back