Foal Rug

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
Hi guys

I was hoping someone could help me. Im wanting to buy a rug for a newborn foal. If the foal is somewhere between 16 - 19 inches what size rug would i be looking at

Cheers
default_smile.png

Most of the mini blankets (rugs) here in the U.S. are sized by length from mid chest to mid rump. That is usually 10 inches or so more than the horse is tall. So by that standard a 16 inch tall foal would wear a 26 inch blanket. A 19 inch tall foal would wear usually a 28 inch blanket. Foals usually don't fill out a blanket very much so a blanket that measures the correct size might be a bit big.

Does this help, or just cause more confusion?
default_wacko.png

Charlotte

Most of the mini blankets (rugs) here in the U.S. are sized by length from mid chest to mid rump. That is usually 10 inches or so more than the horse is tall. So by that standard a 16 inch tall foal would wear a 26 inch blanket. A 19 inch tall foal would wear usually a 28 inch blanket. Foals usually don't fill out a blanket very much so a blanket that measures the correct size might be a bit big.
"A bit big" would be an understatement using that formula.

My foals are generally 21 to 24 inches tall at birth, and they start out wearing a size 22 blanket, which fits them perfectly. They do soon outgrow it--but it fits perfect to start with. A 28 inch blanket would be way too huge around the shoulder area, even on my 24" foals. I have a 26" blanket, and the foals are about a month old (or older) before that fits them--if I want to use it sooner I have to take in the chest/neck--some quick hand stitching makes it fit quite nicely.

Using as an example the foal blankets that Laura here on the forum makes/sells, I'd estimate that a 16-19" foal would take a size 20, or even the 22 would fit the 19" size I would think.

Latest posts

Back