foal blankets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love fleece too! I make my own, double thick!
default_yes.gif

I use the UltraFlex Foal Saver Blanket by Schneiders. Their site is www.sstack.com it blows all the others right out of the water and well worth what it costs. It is the exact same blanket that I used on my Quarter Horse foals that were born in early January. I just can't say enough good things about these blankets.

My favorite foal blankets are some that I made myself out of an old wool hudson bay blanket. In extremely cold weather the fleece blankets just weren't warm enough for a young foal so I got busy and cut up the hudson bay blanket. I custom fit the blanket on the foal, sewed up the chest and put a wide fleece belly band on it. The back portion is cut generously--I call it a skirt! It comes down over the tail a bit, and the sides are cut a bit longer at the back, so it hangs well down around the foal's back end. That "skirt" design along with the wool fabric keeps baby much warmer. I then made two more blankets, each one a little bigger than the one before it so I have blankets to fit as the foal grows. I use these alone or sometimes with an ordinary blanket over top, just to keep the wool blanket cleaner.

For the not quite so cold weather I have a couple blankets that I got from Laura here on the forum a few years ago. I don't know if she still makes and sells these blankets, but I sure like them. They fit well and are nicely made.

I use the UltraFlex Foal Saver Blanket by Schneiders. Their site is www.sstack.com it blows all the others right out of the water and well worth what it costs. It is the exact same blanket that I used on my Quarter Horse foals that were born in early January. I just can't say enough good things about these blankets.
I LOVE/use these too! They stretch in the shoulders, belly, and around the tush. They have the type of moisture wicking liner that has an outer layer (the part that touches the foal) that reminds me of the moisture wicking under armor for people. I love these blankets, if you google discounts for schnieders (sstack.com) you can usually find a $10 off $50 purchase coupon code.

I need to buy a couple foal blankets warm ones. Anyone have some for sale? I need them shipped over night if possible tomorrow. Any takers please PM me.

thanks

I need to buy a couple foal blankets warm ones. Anyone have some for sale? I need them shipped over night if possible tomorrow. Any takers please PM me.

thanks
Kid's sweatshirts and dog coats work in a pinch, if you need something ASAP. [i've not used a kids sweatshirt, but seen them on foal's in pics and heard they work.]

Ok thanks I will keep that in mind should my girl foal tonight. Praying for another good delivery and healthy foal and mom.

I have ordered several different blankets through the years, and I have to say that my favorites are the ones from Double Diamond Tack. They are durable, warm, easy to wash and even waterproof, I love them!
default_biggrin.png

They are under Horse Wear, and then click "Foal blankets". The name of the ones I have are Tough-1 600D Waterproof Poly Adjustable Foal Blanket. Hope that helps
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks and yes that helps me very much. I wasn't sure if it was a soft one or hard one. I have seen alot of them use the soft ones. I might have to pick up a dog coat at Petsmart tonight as I dont' think it will be here in time. And the little filly still is wearing hers. When she lays down she shivers
default_sad.png
but is fine when running around
default_smile.png

Thanks and yes that helps me very much. I wasn't sure if it was a soft one or hard one. I have seen alot of them use the soft ones. I might have to pick up a dog coat at Petsmart tonight as I dont' think it will be here in time. And the little filly still is wearing hers. When she lays down she shivers
default_sad.png
but is fine when running around
default_smile.png
You might want to take a tape measure with you, as dog blankets are measured down the back (neck to tail) and horse blankets are measured from center of chest around to tail; so measurements listed on a dog blanket won't be the same as those on a horse blanket.

I am hoping I can just open it and look at it so I have an idea what might fit the babies. I did that with this foal and I did pretty good
default_smile.png

I am hoping I can just open it and look at it so I have an idea what might fit the babies. I did that with this foal and I did pretty good
default_smile.png
That's always a good plan; just didn't want someone to have said, you need say an 18" foal blanket, so you grab an 18" dog blanket and the size is way off.

Back