FNB

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, it's not the same 'right', like "right of free speech.." These cams are a privelege (a benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most) There is also a level of RESPECT one needs to give as well.. Like I said, watching these cams you only get ONE view and that is INSIDE that stall.. You have no idea what is going on outside the stall.. I have several friends who have cams up that have been bombarded by rude emails and phone calls because people jump the gun, especially when people flip out when a mare goes down foaling and no one is RIGHT THERE in the stall with her, 99% of them are right outside that stall watching, just out of view..

Sorry, it's not the same 'right', like "right of free speech.." These cams are a privelege (a benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most) There is also a level of RESPECT one needs to give as well.. Like I said, watching these cams you only get ONE view and that is INSIDE that stall.. You have no idea what is going on outside the stall.. I have several friends who have cams up that have been bombarded by rude emails and phone calls because people jump the gun, especially when people flip out when a mare goes down foaling and no one is RIGHT THERE in the stall with her, 99% of them are right outside that stall watching, just out of view..

:aktion033: :aktion033:

VERY WELL SAID!! I had been trying to find the right words to respond to Rabbit and you said it for me!
default_wink.png
:

:aktion033: :aktion033:

Jeri

Last edited by a moderator:
All that matters is momma and baby are AOK! Enjoy, let the rest roll off your back. BE A DUCK! :aktion033:

Guys and gals, please keep in mind you have NO idea what is going on in the barn behind the scenes.. Fran has foaled out minis for the past couple years and has foaled out several large horses too.. yes, the mare is not hers but obviously the mare owner trusts Fran with her mare and foal... Keep in mind that both Fran and the mare owner (which I know visits here) can read and see your posts, so don't go making judgements and statements without the facts..

I totally agree with that statement!
default_yes.gif
: Since I have been watching the Webcams for the past at least 4 years FNB is one that I used to watch. Frannie has foaled out MANY mares over the span of MANY years and had begun foaling minis for at least the past 3 years.
default_wink.png
: That much I do know and THANKGOODNESS this foaling had a good outcome. Congratualtions! :aktion033: I assure you Frannie and Brian where there watching and they tried doing everything in their power to help this foal into this world.. Please remember all these owners of foaling cams on the worldwide web invite people to join them in their miracles of birth and what you see on these cams is usually delayed especially if their is alot of people watching the cam so it may appear an eternity but really isnt since the cam gets bogged down on the server.
default_yes.gif
:

I have seen over the years I have been watching them that watchers "jump the gun" so to speak, saying

very hurtful things on message boards with out really taking into account that they themselves are not there present at this birth so they dont really know what it going on other than what they "think" they see.

I have seen this over and over again and feel sorry for the webcam owners if something does not go right in the foaling. :no:

The way I feel about it is The farm owners invited us there to watch WITH them and how would the watchers like it if there were no Webcams to watch!
default_unsure.png
: This is a prvilege not a right so please remember unless you are THERE and have personal knowledge of what is really going on be careful of what you say on Message Boards like these.
default_wink.png
:

:saludando:

Jeri
I agree with you 100% Jeri - very well said. And Rabbit - nobody has the right to make negative comments - the people watching the cams are not in the stall with the mare - they cannot know for sure what is happening at any given moment. I have a cam hosted on marestare as I truly think it is a wonderful service and it is there for a reason. Don't people know that if that can't say anything nice they shouldn't say anything at all. It is perfectly fine to voice concerns and prayers in tough situations - but DON'T CRITICIZE - YOU ARE NOT THERE and you do not have the right to do so. If people want to continue to have the PRIVILEGE of watching these cams - and do not like what they see - click the little x on the top right hand side of your screen - AND QUIT WATCHING!!!!!

Things can go wrong with foalings - but the majority are fine - have some compassion folks - the people in the stall with the mare are sometimes going through a living nightmare - your critical comments will not be appreciated - and some of the cams will become private cams. You abuse you privilege - you lose your privilege - pretty simple.
EXACTLY!
default_wink.png
:

Jeri

Well I dont think I said anything wrong, I was just a concerned viewer, I have watched MANY of these births, and I have had MANY of my own born. I will admit I had a maiden mare that was having trouble one time, but within 6 minutes of her having trouble I immediatly took action, I was on the phone with my vet while I was reaching in there helping. Our latest was a QH mare who we called the vet as her water broke, the baby cam out great, but momma retained the placenta, so thank god that the vet was only 30 minutes away and as soon as he got our call he headed this way, he showed up RIGHT when she was getting uncomfortable, rolling to try and get the placenta out. Im not trying to start anything, but some of the posters are right, if you dont want these comments, then turn the cam off, we cant help it but to be concerned for the mom and baby.

I don't think anything was said wrong.... it was obvious to me from the comments that everyone was concerned.

I was part of a forum birth last year and had the cam on for a very difficult foaling. I never turned off the camera. It was the last thing on my mind. But there were tons of people watching and I got 1400+ hits that day.

A thread was started and I read what was posted afterwards and there were things like:

"it's been too long"

"i hope they've called the vet"

"i'm praying for mare and foal"

"why are they walking her?"

"what are they doing now?"

And I did not take offense to ANY of it. At the time of the foaling, as you're watching it, all of that is going through head anyway. As you're standing there, you're probably saying stuff like that to each other. Discussing what to do next. So it was NATURAL for others to speak it on the forum.

I think that those who say people here were wrong to speak their worries here are just being over sensitive.

This was not a typical foaling. I don't think the people who foaled her out needed any defense.

I'm a softie but this time I agree with Rabbit!

I don't think anything was said wrong.... it was obvious to me from the comments that everyone was concerned.

I was part of a forum birth last year and had the cam on for a very difficult foaling. I never turned off the camera. It was the last thing on my mind. But there were tons of people watching and I got 1400+ hits that day.

A thread was started and I read what was posted afterwards and there were things like:

"it's been too long"

"i hope they've called the vet"

"i'm praying for mare and foal"

"why are they walking her?"

"what are they doing now?"

And I did not take offense to ANY of it. At the time of the foaling, as you're watching it, all of that is going through head anyway. As you're standing there, you're probably saying stuff like that to each other. Discussing what to do next. So it was NATURAL for others to speak it on the forum.

I think that those who say people here were wrong to speak their worries here are just being over sensitive.

This was not a typical foaling. I don't think the people who foaled her out needed any defense.

I'm a softie but this time I agree with Rabbit!

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: You said that VERY well! I too feel that the way you explained(and with your speaking from experience) it is a very real situation as it was played out. People are concerned, and say and wonder what they are feeling. I did not see anything "harmful" in the comments posted here.

And to the new owners of the colt, congratulations!! So glad it ended well.

I too HATE foaling out maidens, and thank God I am not on any webcams(especially with SOUND) when I am helping pull a foal from a tight maiden. I curse, pray and cry. The emotions and adrenaline rushing through your veins can become so powerful in that situation, and I feel the viewers that watch these foal cams, especially people used to foaling mares out, feel the way they do, because in watching, they feel that they ARE there with that mare, and they know what they would do, and even being a million miles away, the fears are there, and just like in person, nothing seems like it is moving along fast enough, so we tend to panic.
default_yes.gif
:

I have reread the posts and I truly do not see anything terrible. That poor mare was in obvious distress and those watching, and all of us here are lovers of eqines, were feeling for not only the mare and foal but the people in the stall as well.

No one said that their was no one in attendance or observing, just that the mare was going through much turmoil. This was not an easy birth and everything did not go OK. The result was thank goodness a joyful one with a live foal but it could have been not so good. My apologies if anything I wrote was taken as offensive, it was not intended that way and was spoken from the heart. It is very hard to watch when you are not there, it is also much easier to think of solutions when you are not in the heat of the moment. Yes I could have turned my view off, but by that time it is too late, you are emotionally attached and need to know the outcome, good or bad.

I dont know about you but when I foal a mare out, I feel every labor pain and wonder what is going through the mares mind. Do they understand why this hurts, do they know that in the end it will be a good thing. The guilt I feel when a mare is in pain and thrashing is almost unbearable for me as I know that I have done this to her. Maybe I am wierd or over sensitive but I do feel this way. I got 3 hours of sleep last night as I wondered how the mare was doing as I know that poor baby has to be sore today.

Again, if any of my words were taken offensively I apologize, they were not meant that way.

I agree with Rabbit on this one. If you're going to put something out on the World Wide Web, it becomes public property. Whether it's a web site or a web cam, people are entitled to their opinions and allowed to voice them. I've read of people becoming abusive and critical of cam owners and feel that is totally inappropriate. If you don't like what you seeing, hit the little red x and move on. If the cam owners don't like the comments they read or hear, they have the option of turning the cam off or making the cam private. I know we would all like to think we live in a positive, warm and fuzzy world, but that's just not reality. Bad things can and do happen and people being the human beings that we are, will comment, second guess and downright be rude at times. It really comes down to....if you are going to make your life public, you're setting yourself up for the good, the bad and sometimes the ugly too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasnt really reffering to any particular post here on THIS forum when I was talking about what I had witnessed on those occasions with the other web cam sites and their message boards .
default_smile.png

Usually LB Members have a lot of respect and genuine concern for others.
default_smile.png
That is what I like about being here!
default_yes.gif
:

Jeri

agree with Rabbit on this one. If you're going to put something out on the World Wide Web, it becomes public property
Ok so any picture you have on your website is my right to the taking since it's on the World Wide Web and public property then...
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: Ha like that's going to go over REAL well..

Yes I realize there are going to be comments and questions of concerns "Is the mare ok" "I don't understand what's happening" type things, but the whole "They're going to lose the foal" "The foal's not going to make", "Why aren't they in there yet!" yadda yadda was what I was targeting at.. Personally, I am not surprised at all about all the foal cam people who have pulled their cams from public view or completely off the net because of the crude and rude comments and phone calls from people who 'think they know better'... Just sad that they are now unable to get those few extra eyes to help watch out in case of emergency

agree with Rabbit on this one. If you're going to put something out on the World Wide Web, it becomes public property
Ok so any picture you have on your website is my right to the taking since it's on the World Wide Web and public property then...
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: Ha like that's going to go over REAL well..

Yes I realize there are going to be comments and questions of concerns "Is the mare ok" "I don't understand what's happening" type things, but the whole "They're going to lose the foal" "The foal's not going to make", "Why aren't they in there yet!" yadda yadda was what I was targeting at.. Personally, I am not surprised at all about all the foal cam people who have pulled their cams from public view or completely off the net because of the crude and rude comments and phone calls from people who 'think they know better'... Just sad that they are now unable to get those few extra eyes to help watch out in case of emergency

Ya know what! NOBODY made ANY RUDE or UN called for comments. NOBODY SAID "Why arent they in there yet!" Maybe next time something like this happens NOBODY will care or be concerned for either the mare, foal, and owners. Will that make us cold hearted then? Are humans NOT allowed to have feelings and express them? Cause I thought that this was America. Yes, being live on the internet, and imagine how many other people were watching this but know nothing about this fourm who breed other breeds of horses, who knows what they were thinking. And IMO women, are more expressive then men, and when you have people on here that have not got a clue what is wrong, or experiencing this for the first time, are they not allowed to ask questions? Isnt that how we all learn new things? NOBODY was rude, as we were all VERY concerned for the mare and foal, there WERE people in there the WHOLE time. Im am VERY glad that the mare and baby are fine. And yes there WAS a chance for that foal to NOT be alive, and it was a miracle that it was, maybe it was all of our prayers put together. Arguments about this stuff, makes me NOT want to call people to warn them that their mare is in foal. Just because there are concerned people who actually care about the well being of another mammal!

First off, I didn't say anything about people being concerned or not or anything about people being cold-hearted, so you can get off the soap box about that... What I AM saying is that people need to watch what they say since it's not their mare or their foal.. And yes there were comments made that were uncalled for

They are going to lose the foalThey have a foaling barn and I bet it is mainly big horses
And there was mention of why they haven't called a vet, reread the posts you can find it..
Like I have said before, with these foaling cams you do not see what is going on outside that stall and there is a time lapse, so sometimes things take forever when they really aren't. I NEVER said there was anything wrong with posting with your concerns or questions, just that before you hit that post button, put yourself in the other person's position and reread it.. Sorry but the comment above would have been a hard knock to the stomach for me if I were in their position even though they did save the baby..

Doesnt do much good to have an extra set of eyes or hundreds of extra sets of eyes.. if all those that are watching now opt to be silent due to "offending" anyone

seems like just to me anyhow that defeats the purpose at least for those that say they have the cams soley for extra eyes

I dont watch foal cams I dont like foal cams I do have friends who have private ones strictly so they can watch from work or have there friends watch

so really it isnt an issue I am truly invested in

I just dont think any harm was meant.. you want to draw people in, get them emotionally attached be it for marketing reasons, exposure whatever the reasons are (and there is nothing wrong with that) however doesnt make sense to turn around and get offended when it worked?

You did draw people in, you did get them concerned, you did get there attention- and have them spend lots of there time watching and waiting for your foal.. there is a price for that

Last edited:
First off, I didn't say anything about people being concerned or not or anything about people being cold-hearted, so you can get off the soap box about that... What I AM saying is that people need to watch what they say since it's not their mare or their foal.. And yes there were comments made that were uncalled for

They are going to lose the foalThey have a foaling barn and I bet it is mainly big horses
And there was mention of why they haven't called a vet, reread the posts you can find it..
Like I have said before, with these foaling cams you do not see what is going on outside that stall and there is a time lapse, so sometimes things take forever when they really aren't. I NEVER said there was anything wrong with posting with your concerns or questions, just that before you hit that post button, put yourself in the other person's position and reread it.. Sorry but the comment above would have been a hard knock to the stomach for me if I were in their position even though they did save the baby..

Well whatever, not everybody on here knows what everybody does, people assume until the facts come out. Then things will get straighten out. Im sure she was thinking that they were going to lose the foal as it had been OVER 20 minutes and it wasnt out yet, she did not know this person, she did not know if they had ever had a mini mare foal, NOTHING. Just next time everybody keep your mouth shut and we wont help the people in need. Just let them do their own thing.

That's exactly my point, yes people assume things, but if you're going to post about something then make sure you ask the question in a tactful way or get the facts before you make a comment.. All I'm saying is that we all need to stop and think before we post something, it's so easy to say something but so hard to take it back once it's said..

Why don't we all just drop it! The baby is here and its alive! Thats all that matters! Everyone is entitled to think what they want to think and everyone also has the freedom to ignore it!

Gage

That's exactly my point, yes people assume things, but if you're going to post about something then make sure you ask the question in a tactful way or get the facts before you make a comment.. All I'm saying is that we all need to stop and think before we post something, it's so easy to say something but so hard to take it back once it's said..

Well people make mistakes, we are only human!

I was actually going to drop this or PM Lucky C but I am just going to put it here and everybody can quit guessing what I meant by my post.

Have you ever foaled out a big mare? A big mare pushing for 20 minutes is not an unusual thing. As a matter of fact, compared to minis, you can light a candle, pour a glass of wine and delight in the ambience, OK, that is a little exagerated but, my comment was actually in their defense rather than a stab at them. If all of us would take our own advise and "know the whole story" maybe you could back off your defensive post and see that to a person used to foaling out large mares, 20 minutes would not have seemed unusual but ot a mini breeder, 20 minutes is literally a lifetime. I did not know if they were used to foaling out minis or not.

It was extremely tense for them as well, (read their message board) they were very attentive to the mare during the entire labor, present, watching, waiting, helping, and foal once it arrived safely and they did everything in their power and succeeded in delivering a live healthy colt. Hoorah, we all are delighted in this, no one on this board or watching that foaling would have wished any different.

That poor mare had a hard time, we all felt for all involved, I do not believe anyone was criticizing or stabbing them, just expressing concern in the heat of the moment.

Did you not read where I apologized if my comment seemed offensive as it was not intended for that? Drop it, go to the other thread where everyone is congratulating and thrilled that another mini foal has been delivered safely. Kudos to them for saving the foal as without attendance it most likely would not have been such a good outcome. Kudos to the owner for realizing she needed someone more experienced to foal her mare out. Kudos to all who watched for caring enough to feel for the mare, foal and people attending in a tough situation.

Latest posts

Back