First time worming new horse question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryHaven

Reaction score
Okay, just reading the help sick mare thread has me worried too here. I just brought in a new mare. I've been giving her time to adjust before doing any major work. She's been here about four weeks now, and I just trimmed her feet (they were horribly long). I was going to worm her with Invermectin when I did the rest of the herd at the end of the week... but now I'm not sure that's a good idea.

What is the safest way to start a worming regimine on a horse you have no idea when they've been wormed last?

Would a single dose of safegard be a better way to go for the first worming. Then maybe wait two weeks and do a 5 day safegard (panacur) worming. Then go to the regular rotation?

Also this mare MAY be pregnant. I'm not positive on that. She was exposed though and may be.

Tami,

I think your instincts are correct. Since you have NO idea about her past worming history, I would worm her with either Safeguard OR Panacur initially and then wait a month and worm her with Ivermectin.

MA

Fenbendazole ('Guard) is not effective against the whole spectrum of worms, in fact it only deals with a very few worms in a single dose. These are mainly the nasty big "roundworms" that most foals are born with.

I would certainly worm with Fenbendazole, and then ten days later (ten days is the life cycle of most worms) a half dose for weight of Ivermectin and then ten days after that a full dose for weight of Ivermectin- this is assuming absolutely no adverse symptoms after each dose. If in any doubt whatsoever, ie, the correct weight of your animal, the correct health status, or just you are not happy, you should, of course, get your Vet involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back