First time showing my horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
congrats!! the first one is always the hardest!

Kay

Congrats , showing is tons of fun and it gets much easier after the first show , i am glad you enjoyed it
default_aktion033.gif

Erica, how did you do at the show ?

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading over my story I see where in telling this story a few things ran together in my mind and it's so hard to express oneself in type. I'm old and like the one on one telephone best. HA! After reading story and going out to feed, where my mind is clearer, my conscience wanted me to clarify a few things.

Ebbie didn't flip in the ring but while standing in line to enter first show. As the others were coming out people clapped and she went bonkers. But that set the stage for my nerve attack and her terror of what was going on around us.

The judge that came up to me and said she was sorry she couldn't place Ebbie higher due to me always being in front of her said quality filly. It was Ms Ford as I came out of the ring that said to me she felt Ebbie was national quality.

Last year at the Spooktacular show in Tx a friend took me along as a riding companion. While there she entered me in a color class as a surprise. It wasn't my horse and I knew nothing but the horse was trained and did it all. So really that was my first show. But this was my first show to really show...if you know what I mean and with babies I had breed and raised.

Now I can sleep tonight...Ha!

My husband is supportive in many ways but horses are not his thing. But then again...I feel the same about his golf. It worried him that I got so nervous and he said no more. But....if any shows come up locally I'll be there... or if anyone says they need a companion to travel and coming through North Lousiana...call me. Ha!

Again I appreciate all the kind replys. I really hope from all this that the younger ones, who worry about showing, will see from this how kind everyone at a show is and say hey...If that old lady can do it I'm going to go for it too.

Life waits for no one. If you have a dream...do it!

Sundaymom, You did GREAT and your horses too. Really they were very well behaved for weanlings, mine would have been doing more backflips than your one.

Ebbie looked great, and while I didn't get to see the other filly show in person as I only stayed for the AMHR show, she also looks wonderful in the pictures. I think you would be very tickled how well these two fillies can do for you out showing........so if you enjoy it you should stick with it. I see lots of blue ribbons in their future!!
default_aktion033.gif

And I was so glad you and your husband, stopped and asked questions, and watched.......this is the BEST way to learn. I know it's the way I learned most of what I know, and the way I still learn.

I have to say the facilites are Monore at top notch, nice air conditioned arena, all asphalt aisle and stalls........and the one thing I noticed more than anything was the SPECTATORS......TONS of spectators, stands were full and these people stayed and watched the whole show, and then milled around the stall area. I saw more outsiders at this show watching than I have in many years and these people were entralled with these "little horses".

All 3 Judges were GREAT as well, kind, courteous and did offer advice and congratulations.

Congrats , showing is tons of fun and it gets much easier after the first show , i am glad you enjoyed it
Erica, how did you do at the show ?
Was proud of my horses, they showed very well, and are coming along nicely I think. Only took 7 of the 12 up in the barn.......as this was a quick trip as I was not able to leave the house until Friday late as I had meetings for work at a different university Weds-Friday; and then only showed on Sat and came home Sat night.

We came home with - 37 first places and a second and

3 Grand Champion Stallion Unders along with 3 Jr Stallion Under Champions

3 Grand Champion Gelding Overs along with the 3 Jr Geldings Over Champions

3 Grand Champion Stallion Overs along with the 3 Jr Stallion Over Champions

3 Grand Champion Mare Over and 3 Res. Grand Champion Mare Over; along with the 3 Jr Mare Over champions and 3 Sr. Mare Over Champions

2 Grand Champion Gelding Under and a Res. Grand Champion Gelding Under, along with 3 Jr Gelding Under Champions

2 Grand Champion Mare Under along with 2 Jr Champion Mare Under and 1 Res. Jr Champion Mare Under

Hi! I was down the aisle from you, Maranatha Miniatures. You did a great job!!! I am very proud of you for showing even though you were so nervous! I loved your horses. Keep up the great work and I hope to see you around the show rings.

Shelley<><

There's always a first for everything. You'll get better and the more you show, the less nervous you'll be. Just practice, practice, practice. You'll get the hang of staying out of your horses space. I was bad for being in their faces my first year of showing. Have to remind myself even today that I need to step back.
default_biggrin.png

Congrats!! Your horses are GORGEOUS!!! For a first timer, they sure looked groomed like a proffessional. Good luck and keep up the good work!!!
default_wub.png

It truly is overwhelming all the wonderfull things that have been said about my girls. The compliments have felt just the same as years ago when someone complimented my children. Ha!

I have been a member of Lil Beginnings for several years but have been more of a lurker. Once in awhile I would comment to something but not knowing much and trying to learn, I haven't had much to add to many threads. Also I stay so busy I feel bad if I comment on one thread but not on another every day. I am going to try to be more involved now that I can relate to how wonderfull it makes one feel to have nice things said about their horses.

I wish I had the resouces and time to do more with my girls but will see what happens.

Thank you to eveyone taking the time to comment. Erica and Mom thanks for your encourging words. Shelly...My husband believes he remembers you, I'm sure I would too if I saw you again.

Oh my I am so thrilled to see how well you did. That's so awesome. I will never forget my first horse show either. You learn so much along the way and I personally think that every show is another learning experience for me. You will continue to grow into a better show person, we all do. You are so very lucky to have met Linda and Erica. I would love to cross pathes with them...I'm sure I will one day.
default_smile.png
Congrats on all your wins and your beautiful girls. You should be very proud. :D

Latest posts

Back