First time in Virginia

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
Decided to visit Husband in Virginia. So off on the plane flight I went... on the only direct flight offered.

Flight in, was smooth until we got to DC ... bit of a bumpy landing. Dulles is huge, I mean major huge. Had no idea I had to take a tram to end up where Husband can come get me. Also learned... I am shipping/mailing all my clothes home. Even a light carry on bag is too much for me. Have never been an Airport so big! Also very, very glad I did the upgraded seats! Can we say.. cattle car?!

Flying has become much more of ah... an adventure and not for the better sadly.

Welcome to Virginia.. OMG the traffic... 5 hours to get to DH's place, when it should of only taken 2 hours. By that time, felt like just doing back to the Airport to fly home.

This country mouse is no longer used to that kind of traffic. :p

Next day was a little better, got to recoup. Is really nice to see husband. VBG

And where he lives, there is little traffic, so much more relaxing.

The day after we went to Williamsburg, what a wonderful place! Could only walk a 1/4 of Wiiliamsburg but I did have fun. (Wish they had scooter rentals! Or let me borrow a horse! LOL )

I could see myself riding my bay Icelandic mare or driving Maggie in her traditional wooden cart. Is so flat, wee Maggie would have no issues. Would love to have one of those lovely houses and barns! Oh.. and gardens.. sheds..
default_wub.png
Did I say I love the place?! LOL

Just started to snow lightly when we left, was almost magical. Glad we did go yesterday because we are getting quite the snow storm today. Good day to stay in and found out, "How to tame a Dragon" is a really good movie!

Hopefully tomorrow we will get to George Washington's Birth place and do a little needed shopping.

Love seeing all the big farms, though a little surprised not to see big beautiful Barns too. Like ones see's in Oregon.

When I get back.. will post some photos. Right now I am on a slow connection, so can only write. More to come..
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Look forward to seeing the photos.......... Can you see yourself living out there in Virginia?

Glad to hear you enjoyed Williamsburg.

Yes, the Dulles(Chantilly).. Northern Virginia and the DC traffic is insane. I traveled in those areas for work for many years. I have family that are commuting in it 5 days a week. Not fun(but they are working so that's the most important thing).

We live about an hour west of DC near Skyline Drive.

Look forward to seeing the pictures.

Yes, How to Train your Dragon is a favorite here at my house. I have a son that asked for one of the dragons from Santa.

Enjoy your trip,

Kim

MA,, honestly not sure?

Was hoping my Farm in Oregon would be our last move. So very tired of having to move. Finding good Vets, farriers, Doc's and so on.
default_sad.png
Is a pain. And our Medical would even be worse over here than it is is Oregon. And that's bad.

But...

If I can get our place in OR sold..or at least rented out.. If we can find the right place here before May, because DH work would be paying for most of the household move, and in May, the year is up and they resend the offer.

Have some physical restrictions that will make it not easy, ie.. need a single story house. Enough acreage for horses and so on. There are some strange rules in some of the counties here.

Know the only area of the country that has work my DH can do, is over here. So sooner or later will have to move the house over this way.

Have to admit.. bit worried about the poisonous snakes in the summer..ok.. and the summer heat. I really don't do good in heat over say 72*. All the horse's would have to be clipped and kept body clipped.

And I really don't like seeing people out hunting in large numbers, with packs of dogs crossing what ever property they want to.

Dyfra would blind panic on me, seeing that many dogs coming at her (no way to get her used to that)..which would tick me off and I would be having target practice. So good fencing would be a must. sigh ~~

And I am not going to change my ways or opinions of a bunch of men hunting a little deer with packs of dogs. Lazy, good for nothing way to hunt.

Anyway...

Sorry about the book...

I do like visiting here, lots of fun history. Don't mind the cold weather because I can dress for it. Love being with DH.

Ouch.. Kim.. I feel for your family having to drive in that traffic all the time. Would drive me nuts. But you are right, having a job is a good thing.

I would also love to have one of those dragons! There cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Shari- Which part of VA is he in right now? PM if you feel more comfortable.

Kim

Shari...I am so glad you made the trip to see your hubby during the Holidays! Also, to see the area and get a feel for it, if you end up living there later.

I have heard about the traffic in that area...craziness! I would hate that!

Enjoy the rest of your visit and looking forward to seeing pics when you get back!
default_yes.gif

My Mom's best friend lived there for many years.

Thank you Linda. If the wind will slow down.. would love to go out and see more. Not sure if I want to go out in 50MPH wind gusts or not.

That is neat Kim. Really is a nice little area.

Hopefully I will be able to drive by a 10 acre rental we are interested in. Is between here and Fort AP Hill. Not sure if it will work out but would be nice to see at least the out side of it in person.

Latest posts

Back