First time in a harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerranger

Reaction score
The Exact Center of CA, 3,158 mi from the north p
Our neibors gave us a small pony for our grand daughters to ride. But she has some pony issues. Shes too small for an adult to ride, but is not respectful of the little kids that would be propper size to ride her. She does not buck, bite, or rear, She just doesn't mind kids well. when she is on a lead line she is just perfect. So today I put her in a driving harness for the first time. After about 15 min she was relaxed, and enjoying her new job. I'm hopeing the driving lessons will carry over to riding. She is such a sweet girl other wise. This is about the only way I can think of for an adult to work her out. And she may turn into a pretty good driving pony.

Today we were just ground driving, working on our stops and starts,and then on the long lines. next time out Ill bring a camera and someone to take pics.

I do have a Question tho. For thos that train, how do you train them to stand quietly in the shafts? One of our minis just does, and the other fidgets constantly. But thats also what they do when they are loose in their pastures . Id like to have the pony stand quietly for the grandkids, If I can teach it. thanks DR

She just may be one of those ponys that do better as a driving pony than a riding one.

I hope some one with more experiance can answer you question about standing still.

My girl just does so I don't know how to train one that doesn't.

But than we always hitch her with two of us so that may be why.

I am not very experienced.

I taught my guy "Stand" when on a lead line. He is not to move when I say "Stand" He's doing good at standing still now when I tell him to. I did that because when I "Whoa'd" him he would jerk around and it was unsafe. He will stand with the cart now.

Hope that helps some.

As Renolizzie says, teach it in hand first, then its practice, practice and practice some more. Many people are so anxious to get going they barely ask their horse to stand before driving off. Spend lots of time just standing around, reminding her if she wants to walk off and she will learn to relax and wait for you to be ready to move on. Some get this quickly some need more time depending on the individual.

Absolutely teach the stand in hand. Once you get her in a cart you will be able to actually exercise her- which is where most ponies fall down. If she has been out for a drive, seen things, worked her mind a bit and also lost a few pounds, she will be far more likely to tolerate the children and you can also "discipline" her in harness and get her used to obeying you and used to the idea of doing as the driver says. Once that drivers voice becomes a child's voice, and she still has to obey it, you will be over half way there.

We have our girl do that as well. We also make her just stop and stand at any time when we are driving. If she tries to start before we say to we stop her and stand still for a while. It does work

One of our two minis stands nicely when asked but I cant say I did anything to achive that. The other has ADD! and just wont stand still. But when out driving she is fearless. Water, plastic bags, trafic, dogs, wooden bridges, etc....don't seem to bother her at all. The pony stands well while being saddled, so we will work on it. Thanks all, DR

Latest posts

Back